NHL Broadcasters' meeting insights

Jazz

Some interesting stuff regarding how the games are shown on TV and such.

Daryl Reigh (sp?), who is part of the play-by-play team of the Dallas Stars was interviewed yesterday and among the topics was the current Broadcasters meeting currently going on in Montreal.

To access the interview, click here and adjust the scroll bar to 15:00 once Windows Media player opens up.

X0ssbar

Good stuff... thanks for posting the link.

Love the idea about certified game camera operator for the main cam and putting it in the same position in every arena throughout the league.

Also starting a relationship w/ HBO/Showcase to pretty much show games 'unrated' is a very cool idea.

Also interesting that Carolina was pretty much the catalyst for the new access to teams/players pushed out by the NHL post lockout. They said that Carolina followed the new rules from the drop fo the first puck all the way up to game 7. The rest of the teams began to fall in line.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Love the idea about certified game camera operator.
Same. You get some guys, who it seems like they're drunk and they just suck at following the game.

If they got a certified operator, they'd teach them how to properly follow the game. Which is very important from that main camera.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Also thanks for posting that link.

The mic'd players is generally pretty lame. I'd prefer to have officials mic'd to hear their explanations to players and coaches. That would be truly insightful and relatively clean.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I didnt read the article but saw someone mentioned an unrated version of the game. I always had the idea of having like 1 PPV game per week or something in regards to there would be NO announcers, and just the sounds of the crowd and the players.

So you could really hear players jawing at eachother, swearing, coaches, etc. Then there would be able controlling what they want to go to to pick up good stuff, such as crowd after a goal, players talking after a fight, etc.

Always wondered if this would get good ratings for a PPV event something like once a week, I would easily tune in myself.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I think if the audio is 100% unedited it would be great. It would give me a reason to get HBO. I think fights would take on a whole new dynamic if you could hear what the guys said to each other.

The chance to hear the agitators around the league work their magic would be sweet also.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
i don't like the idea of bigger nets. haven't these goalies spent their whole lives learning how to play the angles on one type of net??

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I would love from some games to be on HBO. I agree Reigh said most of the audio clips they use is useless they don't give you an insight on the strategy of the game or the intensity. I would assume most of that has to do with that they can't use most clips because of curising. A game on HBO would let the viewer better see that intensity.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Games on HBO are a total dream. Not going to happen.

Why not? I could see HBO buying a package. The first program ever on HBO was the Canucks vs the Rangers. Also you don't have to worry about low ratings becasue HBO doesn't run commercials sow it doesn't have to worry about low ratings. HBO is based on subcribers so adding hockey would help would help them gain more. I think there would be announcers though. It would be a secondary package where it would be blackouted in local markets. During the regular commercial breaks could be the time when they do the storytelling or let the viewer listen in at the benches. The HBO runs a bunch of sports programming and air a ton of boxing so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them. If the league approached HBO I could see them buying it.

If HBO did air hockey it would probably be the best produced games.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Imagine HBO mic-ing all the players on both teams and turning on the ones of players on the ice. That would be awesome. Mic-ing the coaches for commercial breaks would be equally awesome.

les3couleurs

Jun 18, 2005
I'm not a big fan of the guy being interviewed after hearing what he had to say.

Not having enough time to explain the game is bogus to me. There is plenty of time and if he doesn't, it's only because he's not good enough to do the job. My god how much does that guy need to explain a play.

The less stoppage the better.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm not a big fan of the guy being interviewed after hearing what he had to say.

Not having enough time to explain the game is bogus to me. There is plenty of time and if he doesn't, it's only because he's not good enough to do the job. My god how much does that guy need to explain a play.

The less stoppage the better.

Yeah, I was surprised by that comment as well. The NHL wanted to shorten the games because they lasted almost 3 hours. Though that may sell a few extra hot dogs, but wouldn't you rather have the fans glued to their seats for a 2 and half hours of "non-stop" action? That might actually bring a couple of fans more in the next game. Fans who are tired of the play-stop-play-stop nature of American football and baseball. And 2 minute commercial breaks instead on 1:30-1:40? The 4th line guys will really dig that, they'll never get on the ice anymore.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
The most important thing is too set a standard for broadcasting hockey. And the most important step there is to send all games in widescreen.

This could attract more fans since it's easier too folow the game when you can see more of the action on the ice. The camera doesn't have too moce as much and it's much more plesant too watch a game on tv.

etho

Aug 12, 2005
Vancouver
www.adriancrook.com
The most important thing is too set a standard for broadcasting hockey. And the most important step there is to send all games in widescreen.

This could attract more fans since it's easier too folow the game when you can see more of the action on the ice. The camera doesn't have too moce as much and it's much more plesant too watch a game on tv.

Speaking of standards, can the NHL mandate a certain arena lighting standard/quality so that some games don't look like they're being broadcast with the backup lights on (i.e. dark, with player shadows all over the ice).

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Speaking of standards, can the NHL mandate a certain arena lighting standard/quality so that some games don't look like they're being broadcast with the backup lights on (i.e. dark, with player shadows all over the ice).

Don't know which arenas you're thinking about but I love it how it's "bad" light in the Garden and United Center. Original 6 teams with bad lights in their arena, it's feels like you're watching a game from the 60s or 70s.

Here in the SEL there are some rules that it must be brighter then this and that. When looking at tv you go blind and can't even see the puck in some arenas. So I'm for the dim light.

CaptainBlueshirt

Aug 2, 2005
Don't know which arenas you're thinking about but I love it how it's "bad" light in the Garden and United Center. Original 6 teams with bad lights in their arena, it's feels like you're watching a game from the 60s or 70s.

Here in the SEL there are some rules that it must be brighter then this and that. When looking at tv you go blind and can't even see the puck in some arenas. So I'm for the dim light.

Two worst lighted arena's that translate horrible on TV are Meadowlands and Nassau

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Yeah, but at least Nassau makes up for it with the great, tight camera angle they use. That's an example of a good broadcast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->