NHL Breaks Labor Stoppage Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Today the NHL breaks MLBs 1994 strike record for 233 days of a labor dispute. I would like to thank Gary and Bob. This lockout is now North America's longest labor dispute of any of the major sports. MLB/NHL/NFL/NBA have seen nearly 20 labor stoppages total.

Do you think these guys were concerned with this at all?

SENSible1*

nyrmessier011 said:
Today the NHL breaks MLBs 1994 strike record for 233 days of a labor dispute. I would like to thank Gary and Bob. This lockout is now North America's longest labor dispute of any of the major sports. MLB/NHL/NFL/NBA have seen nearly 20 labor stoppages total.

I'm sure Gary is concerned that he shows he's learned the lessons from the MLB work stoppage.

If you set out to kill a snake, you bash it as many times as is needed until you are SURE it is dead.

Nothing is more damaging to a sport than a long lockout and then allowing the union to win.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
I'm sure Gary is concerned that he shows he's learned the lessons from the MLB work stoppage.

If you set out to kill a snake, you bash it as many times as is needed until you are SURE it is dead.

Nothing is more damaging to a sport than a long lockout and then allowing the union to win.

The union didn't try and win... The Owners won from the start.... There just getting too greedy now and the players are not goign to take it anymore...

Gary Bettman wants to break the Union for his own personal resons.. end of story....(it's not about winning because liek I said owners had it won from the start)

WC Handy*

joepeps said:
Gary Bettman wants to break the Union for his own personal resons.. end of story...

No, sorry. It's not the end of the story. If what you claimed is true the owners would have fired him long ago. You're wrong... end of story.

SENSible1*

joepeps said:
The union didn't try and win... The Owners won from the start.... There just getting too greedy now and the players are not goign to take it anymore...

The players haven't taken it yet, but they are applying the vaseline as we speak.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
WC Handy said:
No, sorry. It's not the end of the story. If what you claimed is true the owners would have fired him long ago. You're wrong... end of story.

what are you talking about????

They rolled back 24% cap rev sharing.. what more can it be about????

obviouslly the small market teams are with him because they need a cap at 30 mill 20 mill **** if they hold out forever to get a cap at 10 mil they would be happy...

Luge market teams are getting pissed off... they want to spend the money... alla Tantenbaum with Toronto... he spoke up at there meeting...

Gary B is trying to get the perfect deal and break the union... which will never happen.. if you don't see a deal buy July 1 I wouldn't be suprised to see bettmen and Bob on the sidelines........

WC Handy*

joepeps said:
They rolled back 24% cap rev sharing.. what more can it be about????

You're kidding right? What more can it be about?

Cost certainty?

Linkage?

Cap?

Call it whatever you want, but Bettman has been clear from the beginning that the league needs it.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
WC Handy said:
You're kidding right? What more can it be about?

Cost certainty?

Linkage?

Cap?

Call it whatever you want, but Bettman has been clear from the beginning that the league needs it.

nooooo.. the league needs linkage to player costs... NOT EVERYTHING ELSE...

there ****in greedy..... they don't wanna share there ticket holders money,food, and other ****... but they wanna linkage for player costs.. it goes both ways...

Last edited by a moderator:

WC Handy*

I'm not sure what you just said, but I think you're claiming that the owners don't want revenue sharing. If that is what you are saying, then you're wrong. Feel free to go read the proposals on NHLCBANEWS.com and you can read for yourself that they do include revenue sharing.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
WC Handy said:
I'm not sure what you just said, but I think you're claiming that the owners don't want revenue sharing. If that is what you are saying, then you're wrong. Feel free to go read the proposals on NHLCBANEWS.com and you can read for yourself that they do include revenue sharing.

they want to now... but I didn't read it... as it stood before

they wanted salary tied to costs... and thats it... or we could have had a deal in jan...

WC Handy*

Owners want salaries to to REVENUES, not to costs. Salaries are a cost. :lol:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
nyrmessier011 said:

Anyone know the record for a corporation of any kind?

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
joepeps said:
Gary Bettman wants to break the Union for his own personal resons.. end of story....(it's not about winning because liek I said owners had it won from the start)

WC Handy said:

Well I think both of you are right. A close relative of mine is friends with an NHL owner...the owner told my uncle back in December that there goal was to "break the union." I'm not sure what his definition of "break" was...but I don't see it as constructive...I'm no Eklund btw...He really does know the owner lol

WC Handy*

nyrmessier011 said:
Well I think both of you are right. A close relative of mine is friends with an NHL owner...the owner told my uncle back in December that there goal was to "break the union." I'm not sure what his definition of "break" was...but I don't see it as constructive...I'm no Eklund btw...He really does know the owner lol

The goal is to 'break the union' because breaking the union means getting a salary cap.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
WC Handy said:
The goal is to 'break the union' because breaking the union means getting a salary cap.

no it doesn't.. they had the cap when before they called off the season... they wanna take as much as they can... squeeze everything frm the players... end of story.. there not negociating.. it's a ****in dictartorship...call them hitler for all I care

WC Handy*

Breaking the union means getting a salary cap that gets the league where it needs to be financially. The one that the NHLPA doesn't do that. Pretty simple, buddy.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
WC Handy said:
Breaking the union means getting a salary cap that gets the league where it needs to be financially. The one that the NHLPA doesn't do that. Pretty simple, buddy.

Thats not breaking the union... thats a comprimise... breaking the union would be 100% win for the owners...

20 mil hard cap ex...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Crosbyfan said:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011

There have been some really long strikes. IIRC, there has been one againsy Catepillar going on for something like 7+ years. And BTW, is the Air Trfiic Controllers strike still technically going on they were all fired and replaced - does PATCO still exist and is there a union covering the current ATCs.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
joepeps said:
The union didn't try and win... The Owners won from the start....

Funny, that's what they said in 1994.

Until an actual contract is signed, you can't say one side or another won. And then, you have to wait a few years to see if you were actually correct.

Crosbyfan said:

Infinity. I know lots of businesses that simply closed down forever due to labour stoppage.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
great, they also broke the record for being the most ridiculously poor managed business in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad