NHL boxscores 1917-present

MonzaSpyder

May 30, 2010
ON
flyershistory was an awesome website to begin with, now with this incredible new addition, it is just over the top. GREAT RESOURCE!!!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
question about how the games were entered:

Just as an example, see this game from the 1925 season:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19240004

There were 3 PP goals in the 2nd period, but apparently no penalties. There were a bunch listed in the 3rd period, though. Is all the penalty data just getting dumped into the 3rd period for these games?

Also, there seem to be what appears to be duplicate penalties:

TORS - Adams ((maj)) ; BOS - Cooper ; TORS - Dye ; TORS - Dye ((maj)) ; TORS - Dye ((maj)) ; BOS - Mitchell ; BOS - Mitchell ; BOS - Mitchell ; BOS - Mitchell ((maj)) ; TORS - Noble ; TORS - Noble ;

They just all seem to follow eachother. However, I also noticed that the names are in alphabetical order, so maybe whatever script you used to dump the penalty data into these files and there's nothing wrong other than the timing of the penalties being unknown.

flyershistory

Yeah - the penalties and just dumped into the last period ... most of the sources just list an overall list of penalties but the display of the boxscores need a period to put them into - so when they aren't know (which is common for that era) they are dumped into the last period

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I noticed that the USA today boxscore archives with games from the 1995-1996 season, to the 1999-2000 season, has been taken down.

While all of the boxscores have made it up to the Hockey Summary Project, the USA Today website had game summaries and write ups to each game, something that hopefully has been saved and not lost forever. :(

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Can we wait also the missed seasons?
Im especially interested for 1991/1992, 1997 playoffs, and between 1988 and 1990 is a hole. We can see the results, but without any player.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
The 1989-90 regular season and playoffs have just been completed and is now uploaded (we're up to 85.12 % now)

Sounds great! Thanks for all the work!

(We might perhaps add that they main contain errors, possible quite many, just so that people don't expect them to be 100 %. At least I don't.)

Edit: It seems I can't find the file. Maybe it takes a while for it to arrive..?)

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
is any chance, that there will be seasons before 1987 with full infos?
Now i can find there only goals, assists and PMs. Full roster for every game will be also fine. And shoots, and +/-. And .....

And there are some infos missing, for example Quebec Nordiques, Stastny Brothers - some assists and some goals.

flyershistory

We've got all the information in our database that we can get a hold of. So for example for the first 5 years of summaries we do have lineups - because newspapers usually had them. But penalties aren't reported by period and shots on goal are not always given so we are missing those.

For the 70's and early 80's newspapers / Hockey News Summaries rarely reported lineups so we won't usually have those. I do have Flyers gamesheets for many of those years so you will see many Flyers games for those years with lineups.

We are planning visits to NHL headquarters to get more completely info from the actual gamesheets - but it is a slow process.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
Historical boxscores

Does anyone know where i can find game scoring summaries from years ago?
I went to hockeys referance and couldnt find the accual boxscores earlier than 1990 am i looking in the wrong place because im sure i seen this information before. Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad