NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Black and gold is unique?

Boston?
Pittsburgh?
Vegas?

Oh! That must be pastel black…

It's brown on my screen...and wouldn't call that gold either but sure, I guess we could go hot pink and neon green if we really want to have a color scheme that is completely not related to any other color scheme in the entire league...

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ok, so I’m going to try and be a little more clearer for folks.

What are inappropriate names for the new Utah team? Anything that is slang for any kind of sexual acts, or any kind of religious meaning or subject.

If you don’t know what I’m referring to, feel free to PM myself or another mod to try and explain it better.

Thank you.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Vaguely familiar to the first move. The Coyotes originally landed at what was then called America West Arena, which was built in 1992 and was a basketball specific arena. About a quarter of the upper bowl could only see two thirds of the ice (I sat there once and it was awful). AWA was never meant to be a long-term solution for the team. The arena in Glendale that was eventually built actually had great sight lines for hockey, but it was in a location that was less than ideal (hello Ottawa Senators parallel).
I kind of remember a different tune being sung by the fans, NHL and council right around the time the the time the NHL and COG agreed on that 50 million dollar "deal". Funny how it only became a less than ideal location when things went tits up between the team/NHL and the COG council.

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
As someone from MN that relocated to AZ recently I have to say I am dissapointed and surprised at the decision. I am still planning to get my kids involved in hockey when they are older, but not having an NHL team will make this a lot harder. This feels like very bad long-term decision for the NHL and how everything went down is incredibly shady. The fact that they were able to strong arm this movie is incredulous.

Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country and has one of the fastest growing economies. Additionally, we are seeing A LOT of migration of people into the state from colder weather climates that enjoy hockey. We also have a pretty strong youth hockey development program with many NHLers like Austin Matthews, etc. Do they really think it is in the best interest of the NHL and hockey to pull out of this market?

Obviously AM was a bad owner that severely mismanaged everything, but to strong arm a move to Utah, and take hockey out of the state, feels like terrible mistake. Why not strong-arm to the rumored AZ investors that were interested? Did they not grease enough palms?

I have nothing against Utah - I am a Delta Diamond and fly through their airport frequently, but it is a small city, and the potential growth for hockey there is significantly lower. If Utah wanted a team it would have been better for the NHL to do an expansion.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
othing against Utah - I am a Delta Diamond and fly through their airport frequently, but it is a small city, and the potential growth for hockey there is significantly lower. If Utah wanted a team it would have been better for the NHL to do an expansion.
Technically thats what they did. The Coyotes as a team are now inactive. Utah is a "new" team.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
As someone from MN that relocated to AZ recently I have to say I am dissapointed and surprised at the decision. I am still planning to get my kids involved in hockey when they are older, but not having an NHL team will make this a lot harder. This feels like very bad long-term decision for the NHL and how everything went down is incredibly shady. The fact that they were able to strong arm this movie is incredulous.

Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country and has one of the fastest growing economies. Additionally, we are seeing A LOT of migration of people into the state from colder weather climates that enjoy hockey. We also have a pretty strong youth hockey development program with many NHLers like Austin Matthews, etc. Do they really think it is in the best interest of the NHL and hockey to pull out of this market?

Obviously AM was a bad owner that severely mismanaged everything, but to strong arm a move to Utah, and take hockey out of the state, feels like terrible mistake. Why not strong-arm to the rumored AZ investors that were interested? Did they not grease enough palms?

I have nothing against Utah - I am a Delta Diamond and fly through their airport frequently, but it is a small city, and the potential growth for hockey there is significantly lower. If Utah wanted a team it would have been better for the NHL to do an expansion.

I actually thought it would be cool to see Matthews in a Yotes jersey some day.

And honestly ASU's program has done better than I thought they ever would so far. Lots of Canadian boys probably like the thought of spending winters playing hockey for ASU

Reactions: Viqsi

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

Why is an NHL team necessary to develop youth hockey? So many places around the country have great youth hockey programs without an NHL team being nearby.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
lxcvqjlcxavc1.jpeg
meh

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

hockeyboy1923

Apr 18, 2023
Why is an NHL team necessary to develop youth hockey? So many places around the country have great youth hockey programs without an NHL team being nearby.

Youth hockey does well in traditional hockey markets regardless of whether or not there is an NHL team because hockey is already popular.

Hockey is not a traditionally popular sport in Phoenix and professional sports introduce people to the sport and make it more popular.

Because I watch hockey regularly as a MN wild fan I will likely get my son involved but hockey is not going to grow in popularity without a professional team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Arizona’s corpse isn’t even cold and the NHL is celebrating their asses off.
I mean, the NHL did everything they can. To the point of Bettman catching ridicule even when it was unnecessary. Like he controlled the whole thing. At this point, the best thing *IS* to celebrate. This is a marriage of sorts to Utah and you might as well do it up. I don't think the celebration has anything to do with the Coyotes. I wouldn't celebrate all that work for nothing. So pop a cork and toast to Salt Lake City. You have different problems now.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Well for one thing the NHL gives out a ton of f***ing money to each hockey club to develop youth programs every year.

Reactions: Viqsi

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Still feel for Coyotes fans, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the market in SLC fares.

I used to go up there for sports camps and tournaments all the time and just a few times to hit the slopes in Park City. It always felt crazy to me that the city never had so much as an AHL or ECHL team. It's the perfect setting for hockey imo. (okay the link I looked at was wrong. They have an ECHL team but still)

I don't like that I saw on Twitter that the league is still giving Meruelo the option to bring the Coyotes back after sorting out an arena deal. That shit heel does not deserve the privilege of owning and having any say in the operation of an NHL franchise. I'm all for the Phoenix metro area being given another shot but with different ownership.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad