NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Some new blood is always good. Happy they won't have to do a division realignment. Was pretty dumb when Winnipeg, a city in central Canada, was playing in the Southeast division.

The Johnny Utahs

aa68504c457c115cac636ab45cd4d93a_400x400.jpeg

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I feel sorry for the Arizona fans that stuck with their team through decades of soap opera drama. They have to be the hardest of the hardcore fanbase.

I am happy for the players though It must have sucked for them to be drafted/traded to this tire fire organization.

Given the disfunction we have seen over the past I can't see any way that a new arena is built within 5 years with the owner being willing to hand back the billion dollars to the NHL.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Some new blood is always good. Happy they won't have to do a division realignment. Was pretty dumb when Winnipeg, a city in central Canada, was playing in the Southeast division.

The Johnny Utahs

aa68504c457c115cac636ab45cd4d93a_400x400.jpeg
To be fair it was pretty nice playing in that division at the time. It made a really bad team moderately competitive.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
So the Coyotes go from a 5000 seat arena to a 12.000 seater in SLC

It’s all hopeful on the fact that SLC building a new state of the art arena (funded by the 3 levels of Government) in time for the 2030 Winter Olympics provided they win the bid.

How Familiar does this sound ?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Already taking them for a test sim in HLM24 :)

Went with Swarm...because I rather like this logo package and unique color scheme that somebody put together for a theoretical SLC baseball team.

MF5G3NQ.png

5NXyZEP.png

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How likely is a stadium in Arizona? Is that just lip service or is there a possibility of a new Coyotes in a few years?
Guessing it realistically will be tied with the Suns of nba. Suns lease is up in 2037 but negotiations on the arena will begin 3-4 years before then. See if that point the suns owner wants the nhl or not. Not every nba wants an nhl team.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Guessing Houston and Atlanta next as expansion teams.

I'd be worried if I was a Winnipeg fan if Arizona ever gets its arena act together and tries to get a second go at it.

Unrelated but i'm always surprised Portland, Oregon has never been explored, especially now with a Seattle team in the league.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Sucks for Coyotes fans, I feel for you. We lost the Grizzlies in Vancouver and I still wish we'd get another NBA team. It was time though, the league couldn't wait aother 5 years with them playing in that rink. Hopefully they get their act together, Pheonix is awesome, and being able to tie an NHL game into a trip was always fun.

Stoked for SLC though, such an awesome place with tons to do within an hour drive. Nice to see the league head into a true winter town again.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

It’s all hopeful on the fact that SLC building a new state of the art arena (funded by the 3 levels of Government) in time for the 2030 Winter Olympics provided they win the bid.

Vaguely familiar to the first move. The Coyotes originally landed at what was then called America West Arena, which was built in 1992 and was a basketball specific arena. About a quarter of the upper bowl could only see two thirds of the ice (I sat there once and it was awful). AWA was never meant to be a long-term solution for the team. The arena in Glendale that was eventually built actually had great sight lines for hockey, but it was in a location that was less than ideal (hello Ottawa Senators parallel).

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

I'd be worried if I was a Winnipeg fan if Arizona ever gets its arena act together and tries to get a second go at it.

Unrelated but i'm always surprised Portland, Oregon has never been explored, especially now with a Seattle team in the league.
There is zero chance of WPG relocating. The management group has huge downtown projects loosely tied to the team/arena and the owner is the richest in the NHL.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California

Have u seen Portland? It's a sh** hole
Not the same city from the 90's it is horrible

No chance NHL goes there now.

I drive by Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia every other week and its so bad compared to Seattle and Vancouver.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Guessing they'll be well organized. The SLC Olympics was well lauded at the time and viewed as a coup to put Utah on the map. I don't see this being much different.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Have u seen Portland? It's a sh** hole
Not the same city from the 90's it is horrible

No chance NHL goes there now.

I drive by Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia every other week and its so bad compared to Seattle and Vancouver.
Not saying it's not a dump but the arena is there and if someone like the Knight family were interested I could see it. They fill the Timbers stadium and the Trailblazers do pretty well.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm quietly hoping for "Rockies" or "Grizzlies" even though it's been done before. Very much hoping for something like this as their logo

1713479893523.png

Easily the best logo I have ever seen. Yes I'm aware it's a polar bear, Dwight Shrute

• Love
Reactions: Zirakzigil

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
You're talking to fans whose awareness of "non-traditional markets" is so limited that they also think cows roam the streets here in Columbus and/or that we're in the Deep South because something something Civil War name. I wish you good luck in educating 'em but I won't be holding my breath.
Everyone in Nashville wears Cowboy hats and only see ice when it’s used to cool their drinks.

I was hoping that they would use Salt Lake as the name instead of Utah

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad