NHL Board of Governors approves sale of Coyotes and relocation to Salt Lake City (Mod warning post #157)

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Oh God new thread.

To recap Utah:
1. Metro area is 2m+ people within 30-45 minutes of Delta Center
2. Not everyone here is Mormon
3. If someone says something about Utah/Salt Lake but doesn't add (I live here or lived there) it's likely not true 90% of the time
4. You can buy alcohol at bars/restaurants on Sunday after 6pm

Please read this before spreading more misinformation about a state you've never visited or likely thought about until this move

Source: I live here and not Mormon but know a lot and they are cool

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh God new thread.

To recap Utah:
1. Metro area is 2m+ people within 30-45 minutes of Delta Center
2. Not everyone here is Mormon
3. If someone says something about Utah/Salt Lake but doesn't add (I live here or lived there) it's likely not true 90% of the time
4. You can buy alcohol at bars/restaurants on Sunday after 6pm

Please read this before spreading more misinformation about a state you've never visited or likely thought about until this move
You're talking to fans whose awareness of "non-traditional markets" is so limited that they also think cows roam the streets here in Columbus and/or that we're in the Deep South because something something Civil War name. I wish you good luck in educating 'em but I won't be holding my breath.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Feel bad for AZ fans, was rooting for them. But the situation was truly horrible and non sustainable.

Utah is one of my favorite states for outdoor activities. But don’t know much about SLC other than I saw they have a decent amount of rinks so it’s poised to have a good community involvement and getting more kids into it. That’s always good. At least it’s also not too far from AZ so maybe Yotes fans will almost feel like it’s still their team.

Reactions: DaveG

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

So a Cleveland Browns-type deal it is, then. That said, I do kind of think the NHL should take this opportunity to retcon a few franchise histories:

Arizona: Expansion 1996, Active 1996-2024, Dormant 2024-present
Atlanta: Expansion 1999, Active 1999-2011, Dormant 2011-present
Utah: Expansion 2024, Active 2024-present
Winnipeg: WHA 1972-1979, Expansion 1979, Active 1979-1996, Dormant 1996-2011, Active 2011-present

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Sounds like arizona still has a chance to get a team again if the owner can get a proper arena built within 5 years. Wont be the same.... but better than nothing for the fans.

Best of luck

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
You're talking to fans whose awareness of "non-traditional markets" is so limited that they also think cows roam the streets here in Columbus and/or that we're in the Deep South because something something Civil War name. I wish you good luck in educating 'em but I won't be holding my breath.
I've also heard that here in Dallas, TX we don't have cars yet so we ride horses to work & school.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad