News Article: NHL believes Boro: Elbow to UV’s head was a tragic accident. Gets one game for bad form

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’m not defending Parros. I think he and the DOPS have been wildly inconsistent with their decisions (just like the people before them were).

That said, he attended Princeton and was voted the 4th smartest athlete in 2010 by the Sporting News. He’s no dummy ex-goon, which makes his decision making even more frustrating.

That is impressive but I really dont care if he was voted number one because he's lacking common sense and consistency in a very important role for players safety and long term health.

The NHL should employee him where he would be more suitable for his economic degree because he's doing a terrible, inconsistent job as head of the department of player safety. like giving David Backes’s a 3 game suspension for what was declared a high hard late hit the first offense of his career and giving Boro a one time offender for an intentional elbow/hit to the head causing a concussion - one game. These decisions have the capability of affecting the outcome of a game and even a playoff series.

When Parros took this job he was on record as saying:

" I was protecting 23 guys, and now, I’m protecting 800 guys,” Parros, 38, said. “I always did see it like that. Whatever you think of my career, I was definitely always concerned that no one was taking runs at my guys, and making sure there was a presence on the ice if they did.”

“We hope we maintain a safe environment for the players,” he said. “We hope we can affect the game in a positive manner and keep it safe.

He's failed miserably and the NHL should address the issue before it/he affects a playoff series do to his irrational and inconsistent decision making. These decisions will ultimately affect the integrity of the League.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
can't count on the league to police this kind of crap, and you can't count on anybody on the current roster to do it either. I like our guys, but nobody we have right now puts the fear in a Boro or Zach Smith not to take liberties. I don't mind that fighting is being phased out, but it's not gone yet, & you can't have a roster that is built to not deal with it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
can't count on the league to police this kind of crap, and you can't count on anybody on the current roster to do it either. I like our guys, but nobody we have right now puts the fear in a Boro or Zach Smith not to take liberties. I don't mind that fighting is being phased out, but it's not gone yet, & you can't have a roster that is built to not deal with it.

not shocked by DOPS, I find response to the hits from Bruins uninspiring, bet Smith and Boro were chuckling to themselves all night

Reactions: BMC and SPV

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
they should give a suspension, then further on down the road when the concussed player comes back they should suspend again for how many games that player misses. Wouldn't see a head shot again.

The one that will bother me for the rest of my days is Gary Suter on Paul Kariya after he scored a goal. Dirty, uncalled for, awful. Kariya was never the same again. 4 games.

Agreed Lou. That would get rid of it completely.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
not shocked by DOPS, I find response to the hits from Bruins uninspiring, bet Smith and Boro were chuckling to themselves all night

Yeah, they definitely were. I can see the conversation now!

Smith: "Man Boro, fresh elbow to the head there to U......Urhoooowf***shisname? Sick dude... Gave me a chuckle and a chub on the bench!"

Boro: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Smith: "Hell yeah, dude. I'm going to lineup that Grizelick kid soon. He's tiny and I'm big and they don't got nobody who will come after me. Ya'knows?"

Boro: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Smith: "God you're an ugly f***. Love ya though!"

Boro: "DAAAAA BORO LOVE SMIT"

Smith: "Good job, Boro..... Good job. We'll get you talking in no time you fugly goon!"

Reactions: KrejciMVP

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
they should give a suspension, then further on down the road when the concussed player comes back they should suspend again for how many games that player misses. Wouldn't see a head shot again.
or simply suspend the player from the moment the concussed player is announced to be out of the lineup until they are able to return

I love hard nosed hockey, fisticuffs etc....I`ll never be on board with hits from behind and crap like this toolbox did the other night, one game is an absolute joke and I feel this way not just when it`s happening to a Bruin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
or simply suspend the player from the moment the concussed player is announced to be out of the lineup until they are able to return

I love hard nosed hockey, fisticuffs etc....I`ll never be on board with hits from behind and crap like this toolbox did the other night, one game is an absolute joke and I feel this way not just when it`s happening to a Bruin

This. When it is apparent and deliberate as a player throwing his elbow into an opposing players head.

Like Boro did to UV.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Muddy, will never fly

What they need to do is suspend harshly for intent regardless of injury right off the bat

Intentional headshots should get 5 games minimum for first timers and jump to 20 for a repeated offense. Then double each time. 5 offenses gets you banned from play.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Yeah, they definitely were. I can see the conversation now!

Smith: "Man Boro, fresh elbow to the head there to U......Urhoooow****shisname? Sick dude... Gave me a chuckle and a chub on the bench!"

Boro: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Smith: "Hell yeah, dude. I'm going to lineup that Grizelick kid soon. He's tiny and I'm big and they don't got nobody who will come after me. Ya'knows?"

Boro: "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Smith: "God you're an ugly ****. Love ya though!"

Boro: "DAAAAA BORO LOVE SMIT"

Smith: "Good job, Boro..... Good job. We'll get you talking in no time you fugly goon!"

If you're Claude on Saturday how are you not telling your players to finish every check on the Bruins. This stuff will continue while as long as other teams have no consequences. Ignore it if you please and hope DOPS will do something , maybe Marchand will have be the enforcer for the 3rd time in under 10 games.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If you're Claude on Saturday how are you not telling your players to finish every check on the Bruins. This stuff will continue while as long as other teams have no consequences. Ignore it if you please and hope DOPS will do something , maybe Marchand will have be the enforcer for the 3rd time in under 10 games.

So you really think that’s the reason Claude would tell his players to finish every check? Because the bruins don’t carry a goon?

Just absolutely backwards thinking.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
NHLOL DoPeS

Basically should re-brand to the above because that's what the league and it's "safety division" is and has been for a while. One big joke.
I like DoPSs

Department of Player Safety... sometimes

I'll leave Marchand out of this, he's made his bed. But Backes got 3 games, THREE games for catching Fransen in the head last year on a body check. It was very late, but it was a rub out check along the boards. First time offender too.

This is a deliberate forearm directly to the head and nothing else... to "protect" the crease. 1 game.

Ridiculous

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I believe he only got one game because of the incident the game before with Gallagher. Since they did nothing to Gallagher for his questionable play on Boro, which probably should have been looked at, and given that Boro just called attention to it just prior to the game, they were more lenient on him.

You can clearly see him looking right UV as he is skating in and he aims his arm at his face. This is pretty straight forward and deserved 2-3 games, with his history I could have seen between 3-5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad