GDT: NHL Awards

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
First day of summer and you are just such a meanie

Because I am the worlds poster boy for class I wish you health, happiness, and an excellent Bruins offseason for you to have and enjoy this season :handclap:

The only way that happens is if they go 0-82

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Didn't watch the awards show. Everything always comes off as awkward so it's best I not watch and just look at the winners on the internet after the show.

The voters got things right this year. Couldn't really disagree with any of the choices. Stinks about Bergy being out so many games. He was so flippin good this past season. Kopitar played the full season and had the stats to back up his winning the award.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It warmed my heart (but did not surprise me) to see Bergy make a beeline to shake hands with the Humboldt boys at the end of the show when all the honorees took the stage.
For Bergeron, Cassidy, NHL Awards Put Things in Perspective
Screenshot_20180621-110404_NHL-720x1480.jpg

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Sounds like I missed a real gong show last night. I was out and didn't get home until late so I figured that hey, NHL Radio will have coverage! So I tuned in and all Mickey Mouse NHL Radio on Sirius XM did was have two people live on the air talking about the awards show. They couldn't just pull a live feed??

Once I heard Kopitar won the Selke (well earned) I changed the station

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Sounds like I missed a real gong show last night. I was out and didn't get home until late so I figured that hey, NHL Radio will have coverage! So I tuned in and all Mickey Mouse NHL Radio on Sirius XM did was have two people live on the air talking about the awards show. They couldn't just pull a live feed??

Once I heard Kopitar won the Selke (well earned) I changed the station

I DVR'd it and caught it tonight. From my vague recollection of The Gong Show, as bad as it was it was a lot better than the NHL Awards. ;)

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, as there surely are more important things than hockey. But hockey in many ways is an escape. This year's show seemed dominated by things outside the game - school shootings, the Vegas shooting, off ice charity work by the players, fighting diseases, etc. The gestures the league extended after these tragedies were truly heartwarming. But to dominate an awards show with them almost seems self-congratulatory.

That being said the Humboldt Broncos were easily the highlight. You could see every NHL star reflecting on their youthful days riding buses.

But the cringe-worthy aspects were endless, and seemed to get worse as the show progressed - or regressed.

Card tricks? A ventriloquist? Two Beavis and Butthead wannabes with hockey sticks? Panic at the Disco lip syncing in a water fountain? A little kid pimping some movie he's in, interviewing players? Did anyone get even one joke told by Jim Belushi?

Why go to Vegas for all that nonsense? Was there no available banquet room in Branson?

I saw the comments here about the overwhelming number of blond WAGs. I'm not complaining, but wow, you weren't kidding! ;)

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I DVR'd it and caught it tonight. From my vague recollection of The Gong Show, as bad as it was it was a lot better than the NHL Awards. ;)

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, as there surely are more important things than hockey. But hockey in many ways is an escape. This year's show seemed dominated by things outside the game - school shootings, the Vegas shooting, off ice charity work by the players, fighting diseases, etc. The gestures the league extended after these tragedies were truly heartwarming. But to dominate an awards show with them almost seems self-congratulatory.

That being said the Humboldt Broncos were easily the highlight. You could see every NHL star reflecting on their youthful days riding buses.

But the cringe-worthy aspects were endless, and seemed to get worse as the show progressed - or regressed.

Card tricks? A ventriloquist? Two Beavis and Butthead wannabes with hockey sticks? Panic at the Disco lip syncing in a water fountain? A little kid pimping some movie he's in, interviewing players? Did anyone get even one joke told by Jim Belushi?

Why go to Vegas for all that nonsense? Was there no available banquet room in Branson?

I saw the comments here about the overwhelming number of blond WAGs. I'm not complaining, but wow, you weren't kidding! ;)

Thanks @Aeroforce I’m really glad I had other things to do that night. Sounds like it was just not worth bothering to watch

Reactions: Aeroforce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad