GDT: NHL Awards

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
What a boring, nauseating, hack filled, long drawn out waste of time. Glad I changed it when Bergy didn't win.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Colageo explains his vote. I'm digging this whole transparency thing already.

True confessions: I didn’t take the hometown guy

SELKE TROPHY
1. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles

2. Aleksander Barkov, Florida
3. Patrice Bergeron, Boston
4. Sean Couturier, Philadelphia
5. Brayden Point, Tampa Bay
Two questions: Who’s the best defensive forward in the world? Patrice Bergeron. Which among the NHL’s elite defensive forwards had the best overall season? Anze Kopitar, and Aleksander Barkov was right behind him. Sean Couturier, meanwhile, is a heckuva hockey player whose new role between Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek grew his offensive impact and statistics. And, as Brayden Point showed us in the postseason, he can be a two-way problem in the middle. Bergeron had a funny season, and by that I mean his role was severely altered by the propensity shared by longtime linemate Brad Marchand and 2017-18 linemate David Pastrnak to keep the puck. Since his Stanley Cup-winning goal in Vancouver seven years ago, Bergeron has slowly been reinventing himself as a finisher. Along with the kind of support a dad would offer a couple of sons going out to play, Bergeron has stood back and let the boys play, filling in as he sees fit without spoiling their fun. Meantime, he was kicked out of a lot of faceoffs this past season amidst new rules and stricter enforcement of traditional rules. At the end of the day, Bergeron is always a Hart Trophy-type player and a Selke-type player in my eyes. But he’s not entirely alone in his class so when another monster like Kopitar knocks his season out of the park, the latter gets the hardware.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Am I the only one who is just not all that impressed by Connor McDavid?

I imagine you mean off the ice; he's a bit awkward and can be camera shy. I've seen his girlfriend's Instagram posts of their European vacation, and McDavid is very unassuming and doesn't seem to enjoy being in front of the camera.

On the ice, what can you say? Skating, shooting, play-making - when his career is over years from now, I'd be surprised if he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as the greatest players I've seen in my lifetime.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I imagine you mean off the ice; he's a bit awkward and can be camera shy. I've seen his girlfriend's Instagram posts of their European vacation, and McDavid is very unassuming and doesn't seem to enjoy being in front of the camera.

On the ice, what can you say? Skating, shooting, play-making - when his career is over years from now, I'd be surprised if he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as the greatest players I've seen in my lifetime.
Yes I meant off the ice.

I know the show is awful but I thought he’d be more excited when he won

As for on the ice, only time will tell

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I watched a bit of it, though rather disinterestedly.

I dont really understand their choices of celebrities....They all seemed disconnected and silly. I appreciated it the year they had the little kids come out and talk (one did it for Vezina, I think he had a Kiprusoff jersey on).

The Humboldt players' appearance bout' tore me up.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
only with Jared Knight and Zach Senyshyn as his wingers
First day of summer and you are just such a meanie

Because I am the worlds poster boy for class I wish you health, happiness, and an excellent Bruins offseason for you to have and enjoy this season :handclap:

Reactions: Chief Nine

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
only with Jared Knight and Zach Senyshyn as his wingers

These types of posts bother me (probably more than they do Dan) because it’s just such a douchebag move. Everyone who is on this board and has followed hockey for a long enough period of time is going to “miss” on prospects, players, coaches. It happens to everyone, some just are more willing to admit it than others.

The posters that are the most passionate about players are going to take the most grief, which is understandable. However, the point of this board is discussion, so without those passionate opinions and debates, this place becomes less entertaining.

On top of that, the post doesn’t really make any sense. Knight had his opportunities, but unfortunately couldn’t take advantage of them. He had injuries and couldn’t stay on the ice enough to make his mark. I think Sweeney liked Knight, but he was drafted under a different GM. Senyshyn, on the other hand, just finished his first year as a pro, so the jury is still out. In addition, Sweeney is the GM now and it may have been different scouts making the call on ZS.

The only real similarities between the two players is that they were drafted by the Bruins and played in the OHL.

One would think that B’s fans would want these prospects to succeed for the sake of the team they supposedly root for, rather than to support their own personal agendas.

I guess that’s too much to ask for some?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I watched a bit of it, though rather disinterestedly.

I dont really understand their choices of celebrities....They all seemed disconnected and silly. I appreciated it the year they had the little kids come out and talk (one did it for Vezina, I think he had a Kiprusoff jersey on).

The Humboldt players' appearance bout' tore me up.

I wish they would just stick to the basics. No more awkward celebrities. Linda Carters performance last night was just slightly less cringe-worthy than when NBC has Susan Sarandon on during the game in MSG.

No more lame music acts (did they really have to play that "High Hopes" song again last night?).

No more poor attempts to be funny and entertaining. Seriously did we really need the two guys from On the Bench AND the two actors playing hockey players from Letterkenny?

The only people watching this award show stuff is kids and die-hard hockey fans. Cater to your core audience. Hand out the awards, have the presenters be, oh I don't know, former players and personalities form the sport of hockey. Basic, simple. Trying all this other stuff isn't going to get more eyeballs on your product. If anything, a casual fan or non-fan watching this tire fire of an awards show might get turned off more than excited to get more into hockey.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I wish they would just stick to the basics. No more awkward celebrities. Linda Carters performance last night was just slightly less cringe-worthy than when NBC has Susan Sarandon on during the game in MSG.

No more lame music acts (did they really have to play that "High Hopes" song again last night?).

No more poor attempts to be funny and entertaining. Seriously did we really need the two guys from On the Bench AND the two actors playing hockey players from Letterkenny?

The only people watching this award show stuff is kids and die-hard hockey fans. Cater to your core audience. Hand out the awards, have the presenters be, oh I don't know, former players and personalities form the sport of hockey. Basic, simple. Trying all this other stuff isn't going to get more eyeballs on your product. If anything, a casual fan or non-fan watching this tire fire of an awards show might get turned off more than excited to get more into hockey.

We had an end of the year HS lax party, so I didn’t get home until after 9:00pm. I flipped on the TV just in time to see Linda Carter introduce some magician trying to be clever and award the Selke with some very bad card tricks. I watched just long enough to see Kopitar win, and then changed the channel for the rest of the evening (to an equally bad Red Sox performance).

I knew that Cassidy wouldn’t win the Coach of the Year, and also knew that more schlocky entertainment was forthcoming. Hockey is such a wonderful sport, it’s unfortunate that the Commish seems so far behind and out of it when it comes to these events.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bruins get **** on again. Chara only getting one Norris says it all.

Lidstrom got 7.

Love those high flying Wings.

That last one was an abomination- Lidstrom was a shell of himself but he won anyway. Guess the NHL wanted him to have a nice retirement gift because that is what it was.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

SELKE TROPHY

Two questions: Who’s the best defensive forward in the world? Patrice Bergeron. Which among the NHL’s elite defensive forwards had the best overall season? Anze Kopitar, and Aleksander Barkov was right behind him. Sean Couturier, meanwhile, is a heckuva hockey player whose new role between Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek grew his offensive impact and statistics. And, as Brayden Point showed us in the postseason, he can be a two-way problem in the middle. Bergeron had a funny season, and by that I mean his role was severely altered by the propensity shared by longtime linemate Brad Marchand and 2017-18 linemate David Pastrnak to keep the puck. Since his Stanley Cup-winning goal in Vancouver seven years ago, Bergeron has slowly been reinventing himself as a finisher. Along with the kind of support a dad would offer a couple of sons going out to play, Bergeron has stood back and let the boys play, filling in as he sees fit without spoiling their fun. Meantime, he was kicked out of a lot of faceoffs this past season amidst new rules and stricter enforcement of traditional rules. At the end of the day, Bergeron is always a Hart Trophy-type player and a Selke-type player in my eyes. But he’s not entirely alone in his class so when another monster like Kopitar knocks his season out of the park, the latter gets the hardware.

This doesn't surprise me at all from Mick. He's among the best in the business, and a super nice guy. I miss when he used to post here regularly.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016

SELKE TROPHY

That's a bull **** explanation and doesn't make sense. Obviously blinded by points. Does he know how many times Kopitar got thrown out of face offs ? Look Kopitar had a great year but nominate him for the Hart, that is not what the Selke is about. Bergeron continuously bailed out Marchand and Pastrnak defensively. The fact that Kopitar got double the first place votes than Bergeron did is ridiculous. Yes I am bitter.,,,,

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
It warmed my heart (but did not surprise me) to see Bergy make a beeline to shake hands with the Humboldt boys at the end of the show when all the honorees took the stage.

Last edited:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Like many other guys I like Wonder Woman, but last night I wonder if she was drunk.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->