GDT: NHL Awards 2019 - 5PM ET - NBCSN/Sportsnet

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
There are 24 players in history who have 6 or more cups. The fact that 4 of Messier's were as a sidekick to Gretzky and the most talented team in history makes this a poor reason to name a leadership award after him.

Your other major argument is that Messier was a great goon. I would certainly advocate a dirtiest Player award named after Messier.
Ya but that one time, in 1994 he guaranteed a win, or a Game 7, or... something...

It was important at the time! And he delivered on his promise! And that's never been done before, or since! So... ya... Leadership Award.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Most decisive Hart trophy victories (1947-2019)

YearPlayerPointsMaxShare
1982Wayne Gretzky315315100.0%
1993Mario Lemieux24825099.2%
2012Evgeni Malkin1473149098.9%
1992Mark Messier34134598.8%
1984Wayne Gretzky30631098.7%
2019Nikita Kucherov1677171098.1%
2008Alexander Ovechkin1313134098.0%
2014Sidney Crosby1341137097.9%
1999Jaromir Jagr54356097.0%
2004Martin St. Louis1016105096.8%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kucherov has the 6th most decisive Hart trophy victory dating back to (just after) WWII.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most decisive Hart trophy victories (1947-2019)

YearPlayerPointsMaxShare
1982Wayne Gretzky315315100.0%
1993Mario Lemieux24825099.2%
2012Evgeni Malkin1473149098.9%
1992Mark Messier34134598.8%
1984Wayne Gretzky30631098.7%
2019Nikita Kucherov1677171098.1%
2008Alexander Ovechkin1313134098.0%
2014Sidney Crosby1341137097.9%
1999Jaromir Jagr54356097.0%
2004Martin St. Louis1016105096.8%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kucherov has the 6th most decisive Hart trophy victory dating back to (just after) WWII.
Gretzky doing Gretzky things

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Most likely discussed already, but why the hell did McJesus tie a rope around his dress pants? Add his scruffy look, and he looks like a bum off the street that stole someones suit jacket and snuk into the awards. Whoever told him that would be a good idea needs their head checked. Get a bloody belt, I am sure you can afford one ffs.

Reactions: cvrle1

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Most likely discussed already, but why the hell did McJesus tie a rope around his dress pants? Add his scruffy look, and he looks like a bum off the street that stole someones suit jacket and snuk into the awards. Whoever told him that would be a good idea needs their head checked. Get a bloody belt, I am sure you can afford one ffs.
He looked like that before the rope.

Reactions: cvrle1

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
He'd rather be doing this...
s-l1600.jpg
Getting his photo taken wearing a skimpy bikini bottom? Not sure I wanna see that.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Couple things:

First, Keenan What's-his-name made a crack about how long the first winner spoke---only to clog up much of the show with incredibly boring and stupid comedy bits. Why must award shows force that crap? It's so awful....ALWAYS.

Second, the dragging out of the "community hero" nominees and award was painful. I know, warm and fuzzy feelings for many, but can we never have that again???

Reactions: Roman Fell

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
There are 24 players in history who have 6 or more cups. The fact that 4 of Messier's were as a sidekick to Gretzky and the most talented team in history makes this a poor reason to name a leadership award after him.

Your other major argument is that Messier was a great goon. I would certainly advocate a dirtiest Player award named after Messier.

He won a Cup as the captain after Gretzky left.

It’s not like he was a passenger in the playoffs. 31 points in 22 games for the Cup in Edmonton after Gretzky left. 30 in 23 with Rangers when they won.

He played in an era when physical intimidation and nastiness were acceptable and normal. He was much more than a goon, he was a genius tone setter

The whole “touch Gretz and I’ll kill x star player” worked. He was famous for the whole leave “Gretz alone and we won’t target your star” head games. And of course, no other team had a star like Gretzky outside of Pittsburgh.

It was just a different era of hockey and he was perfect in that era. People laugh at the idea of a Lucic or anyone being a deterrent in today’s game, but when Messier played he was a deterrent.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
The community hero is fine but **** the fluff and comedy bits were cringe

I'll never understand why the producers of award shows insist on that kinda crap. They ALL do it across the board and it wastes everybody's time and patience. I just don't understand why they do it. I think man y would settle for a shorter show if they spared us that nonsense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That is, until you apply proper context to them.

Maybe, and I don’t dispute he benefited from playing on a powerhouse team.

However, his best season was 1989-90 and that was without Gretzky and Coffey.

It’s hard to diminish how much he brought to a winning team with his complete play.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll never understand why the producers of award shows insist on that kinda crap. They ALL do it across the board and it wastes everybody's time and patience. I just don't understand why they do it. I think man y would settle for a shorter show if they spared us that nonsense.
It's the same mentality that saw us introduced to fireworks with the handing out the :stanley:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Maybe, and I don’t dispute he benefited from playing on a powerhouse team.

However, his best season was 1989-90 and that was without Gretzky and Coffey.

It’s hard to diminish how much he brought to a winning team with his complete play.
OK, which is fine for someone in the 20's of top players of all-time. Aside from team accomplishments most of which were won with the greatest ever, I see no reason for him to be in the conversation of the top 10. Or to say being in the 20's is being "underappreciated".

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
I was going to do a big write up and place a whole load of stats/advanced stats/driving play et al on why Mark Stone was once again ROBBED of the Selke, but if you disagree just go look them up. Maybe he should change positions and play Centre next year. Probably the only way he wins this award.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
He won a Cup as the captain after Gretzky left.

It’s not like he was a passenger in the playoffs. 31 points in 22 games for the Cup in Edmonton after Gretzky left. 30 in 23 with Rangers when they won.

He played in an era when physical intimidation and nastiness were acceptable and normal. He was much more than a goon, he was a genius tone setter

The whole “touch Gretz and I’ll kill x star player” worked. He was famous for the whole leave “Gretz alone and we won’t target your star” head games. And of course, no other team had a star like Gretzky outside of Pittsburgh.

It was just a different era of hockey and he was perfect in that era. People laugh at the idea of a Lucic or anyone being a deterrent in today’s game, but when Messier played he was a deterrent.

Interesting perspective, but I'm hearing you describe Messier as Gretzky's sidekick as I stated before. Before Gretzky was traded no one would have called Messier the leader of the Oilers.

He did win 2 cups without Gretky, but still as a member of very talented teams. The first time in his career when he played for a bad team, the Canucks in the late 90s, (in other words the time when supposed "leadership qualities" would be most welcome and most required) he shat the bed.

Why Mark Messier is Often Regarded the Worst/Most Hated Vancouver Canuck of All Time.

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
There have been a lot of unofficial 'good guy' awards handed out tonight by myself and I gotta say I like the positivity.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
OK, which is fine for someone in the 20's of top players of all-time. Aside from team accomplishments most of which were won with the greatest ever, I see no reason for him to be in the conversation of the top 10. Or to say being in the 20's is being "underappreciated".

3rd all time in points, 2nd in playoff points. Granted, 5 of the top 6 all time playoff points played on the dynasty Oilers teams.

And I get it, points and team accomplishments alone don’t tell the full story. I mean Ron Francis isn’t in that conversation for the best handful to ever play and hockey is the ultimate team sport. I just think when you look at everything Messier brought to the table he likely gets under appreciated historically.

Shore and Howe are praised for their physical edge and competitive ruthlessness, as is Richard when he was angry to a lesser extent. Messier has more of a “goon” tag than the former, and that diminishes how he impacted the game.

His all time ranking amongst fairly knowledgeable historians seems just off, and I’m guilty of it too. Obviously his legacy is hurt by the utter disaster that his Vancouver stint was. In the 20s just seems like an under appreciation for an all time great.

Like I said, I have him in the 12-16 range and when you think about the body of work it’s somewhat puzzling. If nothing else, it’s interesting to contemplate and reflect on his place in history. I appreciate the debate.

Anyways, the trophy is ridiculous but so is saying (not you in particular) “Messier is a joke and his name shouldn’t be associated with leadership”

Reactions: Art of Sedinery

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
3rd all time in points, 2nd in playoff points. Granted, 5 of the top 6 all time playoff points played on the dynasty Oilers teams.

But when it comes to Points/GP, he is more in the league of Jagr, Francis and Yzerman than Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and even Crosby.

The players in the former group benefited far more from longevity, health, and continuing to play well past their prime. The guys in the latter group did not either by choice, or by injury.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
So far:

-Erik Karlsson got four 5th-place Norris votes but nothing higher

-Muzzin got a 3rd-place Norris vote

-Bonino and Cirelli got 1st-place Norris votes (@DominicBoltsFan where you at boy?)

-Binnington got a 2nd-place Hart vote

Karlsson didnt deserve any votes. Not even a 5th place vote.

But the rest are silly. Is there another bonino om not aware of?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad