NHL: Around the League 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I honestly think that the Yotes didn't even do their homework and saw a name they recognized as being available later than their nerd book indicated he'd be, and drafted him as a result.

Even those morons couldn't have thought that people would be kosher with drafting a blatantly racist bully.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s not even taken away from him. Some extra hurdles for sure and he might have to sign a minor league deal somewhere or go overseas but if he does the right things (or at least pretends too) works hard and the talent is there he still can earn an opportunity.

Very true. And he's a 4th round pick. It's not like his success as a NHLer is very likely anyway.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I honestly think that the Yotes didn't even do their homework and saw a name they recognized as being available later than their nerd book indicated he'd be, and drafted him as a result.

Even those morons couldn't have thought that people would be kosher with drafting a blatantly racist bully.

That franchise is in a tailspin right now. It's upsetting to see and I feel bad for the fans.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

From Scott Burnsides' article:

"..... multiple sources familiar with a Coyotes draft meeting said that the Coyotes had dropped Miller from their draft list after concerns were raised about inconsistencies in Miller’s explanation of the incident."

So Arizona was originally not going to touch him, but someone in their front office changed their mind.

Miller sent every team a package apologizing for his behavior, which tells you where his head was at, given he never sent the victim or his family an apology.

The more I read, the more apparent it is this kid just doesn't get it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
From Scott Burnsides' article:

"..... multiple sources familiar with a Coyotes draft meeting said that the Coyotes had dropped Miller from their draft list after concerns were raised about inconsistencies in Miller’s explanation of the incident."

So Arizona was originally not going to touch him, but someone in their front office changed their mind.

Miller sent every team a package apologizing for his behavior, which tells you where his head was at, given he never sent the victim or his family an apology.

The more I read, the more apparent it is this kid just doesn't get it.

Yeah, apparently something changed when Chayka left and either Sullivan or Armstrong took charge of the draft board.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Yeah, apparently something changed when Chayka left and either Sullivan or Armstrong took charge of the draft board.
All signs point to Sullivan. Armstrong was not allowed to participate in the draft, a part of his settlement in leaving STL.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If they thought it was just one instance, and he was only 14 when he did it, it's fair to give him a chance. He was a 1st round talent that fell to them when they didnt have their 1st 3 picks.

If they knew about all the incidents that are being reported before they drafted him, they are just stupid.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
That's what I thought.

Looks like UND pulled him from the hockey team now.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I lean towards ...f*** this kid. He's likely an irredeemable piece of shit. We are growing up in a different era. This is not the same environment a lot of us grew up in. Bullying 20-25 years ago was not perceived anywhere close to how it is perceived today.

There has been an enormous amount of effort put forth to address bullying. The education in regards to bullying, how terrible it is, the effects it has on those being bullied, and how it is everyone's responsibility to call it out, and end it....is everywhere around us. It's in the schools. It's in social media. It's in sports. It's all over the TV. I have three kids, who all grew up during this era. You hear/see this on a monthly basis.

Decades ago you could make the argument that you were not aware of the effects of bullying, and it was just immature kids making stupid mistakes, and being mean. That is no longer the case. It's impossible for a kid to reach 10 years old, without FULL KNOWLEDGE of how terrible bullying is. This kid did all of this, despite that. And on top of it....he was f***ing racist, too. The strides made in the last couple decades when it comes to education about bullying, racism, and mentally handicapped people, is enormous. There's absolutely no excuse for his behavior. It's inexcusable.

He's a f***ing sociopath. Of that, there is no doubt in my mind. His parents are guaranteed to be major enablers of this behavior... Either they knew and didn't care, or they knew and did not get him help. They are likely a big reason he is, who he is.

Again, f*** this kid. I hope he cleans toilets for a living.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Analytics should be used as a tool not the end all in sports. I thought the Rays showed us that strictly going by the numbers is stupid and sometimes and you have to use your eyes and actually trust the players to perform especially if they are a top flight player like Blake Snell.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
So he is saying what a lot of us have been saying for years...cool.

Pretty much.

He's saying that the analytics help you correct the mistakes you can make with the eye-test. You watch the game, take account of what you think you saw, then look at the numbers and realize 'huh, I was wrong about that, I got the wrong impression'. Then he tries to keep an eye out the next game to see what he missed or got wrong.

At least, that's how he says he uses them.

So yeah, a useful tool to help correct the inaccuracies of the eye-test.

Reactions: Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad