NHL: Around the League 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the Coyotes f***ed up here. I'm all about second chances, but this kid was a f***ing sociopath, by all reports. Do we think that community service and counseling cured him of this?? Doubtful.

"It was absolutely brutal," she said. "Had he not pled guilty, the video would have been released. It would have been so much worse on Mitchell because of the brutality to our son … He's smashing Isaiah's head against a brick wall."

Smashing a kid's head against a brick wall, at 12-14 years old? A kid with mental disabilities? That's more than being a bully, and making childhood mistakes. That points to some SERIOUS mental health problems, that would likely require years to fix...if they are fixable.

Reactions: hawksrule

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Wow theres a whole lot to unpack with this... definitely conflicted bc I do believe in second chances, but bullying plus targeting a minority with mental/ learning disabilities points me in the sociopath direction... and thats someone that will say and do whatever it takes to get what they want, so not really gunna trust that the “work” he’s done is genuine, certainly hoping it is.

Does anyone have any info on this kids upbringing? I’m no expert but I do know when kids behave this way theres an underlying psychological reason... a majority that abuse were victims of abuse, if thats the case Im much more open to the 2nd chance. But on the other side its back to what I alluded to above.. kids mentally unhinged one way or another. I’m more than likely oversimplifying all if this but If Im AZ or maybe the league even, Id be looking into a professional to evaluate him.

Reactions: Pez68

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Nobody bringing up that he was a racist POS too. His parents can rot in hell for all I care. Kid is on the verge of that too for me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nobody bringing up that he was a racist POS too. His parents can rot in hell for all I care. Kid is on the verge of that too for me.

Yeah. There's not just one red flag here. There are multiple. The chances that he has truly changed in all aspects? Not something I would bet on.

There are a lot of racists. There are not a lot of racists that will slam a mentally disabled black kid's head off a wall....

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No one's saying that he should be locked in jail or barred from employment for life.

But by the nature of being a pro athlete, you're inherently a very high profile individual. We had discussions about Cubs fans not wanting that piece of shit Addison Russell back once we found out he was a piece of shit wifebeater. I don't think being annoyed at an organization for drafting a guy that in the recent past used racial taunts and assaulted other people to the potential for a multimillion dollar contract is bad, especially in the light of recent events.

Get exposed for being garbage, don't be surprised if people continue to assume you're garbage, especially in a setting like a beloved team sport that helps build civic pride.

Reactions: Hawksfly2gether

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Of course major difference being Russell did what he did as an adult

I also recall a RB breaking a woman's jaw (On video) and being drafted because in less then 2 years he somehow "Had matured" and deserve a 2nd chance

Look at Tyreek Hill and others (Getting 2nd chances) for violence against woman

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I agree that we're stupidly selective about what to get mad about and how forgiving we are for some things versus others.

But I wouldn't say fans' willingness to ignore some horrible things means that fans should be willing to quickly forgive other horrible things.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I also recall a RB breaking a woman's jaw (On video) and being drafted because in less then 2 years he somehow "Had matured" and deserve a 2nd chance

You know this already, but I am of the opinion that a lot of violent individuals cannot be rehabilitated without serious psychological therapy. The overwhelming majority of them are repeat offenders. People deserve second chances but those second chances should come with psychotherapy and a mental health professional signing off on the treatment.

The sad truth is that a lot of these people, once they reach a certain point in their mental development, can't be fixed.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm not going to root for the kid to fail or anything, but if he doesn't get to live his dream of being a hockey player I feel like it might be a fair price to pay for making some disabled kid's life miserable.

I'm lucky enough to have not really been bullied but I know a lot of people who have and it can be the f***ing worst.

Reactions: hawksrule

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's honestly more than I was expecting. Could be that I'm underrating Toews, but I don't know if his track record is going to warrant 6M in the final year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

That is great term/cap hit for Avs

Wish we had Sakic as GM

You should probably credit the people operating under Sakic. His first years as GM were rough, it wasn't until he and ownership overhauled the hockey ops department that the organization became one of the savviest in the league.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

I thought it came out with Hill that the majority of the allegations against him were false and his baby mama is a nutjob? There was a tape his lawyers had of a conversation he had with his ex that pretty much exonerated him.

Men can get abused in relationships too, most of the time its of the psychological/emotional variety rather than physical.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I read he was 13 when this happened. Should he not be given another chance, since he was just a child at that time? Clearly his parents didn't do their jobs, but he should absolutely be given a 2nd chance, unless it was something very recent while he has been closer to adulthood.
I read today, that this has continued up until 2 years ago. f*** the kid.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I did some shit as a teen that I regret. But I never continually picked on a kid, let alone one with developmental disorders. And I actually regret doing all that stupid shit.

The fact that it got so f***ing bad and Miller seems uninterested in apologizing (NHL teams don't count), is why he doesn't deserve a 2nd chance. Not right now at least.

Either privately apologize to the family or publicly apologize and condemn your previous actions; hell, you can blame it on being a dumb f***ing kid, just do something.

Until he does, I don't care to see this kid succeed anywhere. And while I did just call him a kid, he is legally an adult. Young and still quite a bit stupid at that age, but should be mature enough to understand why what he did was wrong and should feel a bit of shame because of it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Good.

The kid is a sociopath, who hasn't demonstrated an ounce of remorse for what he did. If he had tried to make amends and better himself to ANY DEGREE, I would have probably leaned towards 'kids do stupid ****, but he gets zero benefit of the doubt moving forward'.

There's no way he should have the privilege of playing in the NHL.

I believe the bullied kids Mom wrote a letter to Arizona or something like that, saying that it had continued up until 2 years ago and he has never formally apologized to the kid.

More over, there was another kid involved in the bullying who DID go to the family and apologize and work to prove he was betting himself, and both the child and family forgave him. They are clearly a) better people than me and b) willing to forgive, but this little **** hasn't demonstrated he even believes he did something wrong.

There's an alternate timeline here, where the mother writes a letter that, rather than condemning this little prick, tells teams that he was worked his ass off to better himself and has received their forgiveness, and they support him being given the chance to play in the NHL. All it would have taken, by the looks of it, was a hint of remorse and some effort.

**** him.

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
RA on Chiclets was reading quotes from Miller’s judge and they were not good. Basically the judge said he didnt think Miller demonstrated feeling bad or remorseful.. the other kid in the charges was crying in court. I believe he went as far as to say he thought Miller felt like he was a victim and was more sorry for himself and the position he found himself in than sorry for what he did to his victim...

Reactions: JaegerDice

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Disappointing seeing some people take this as "Cancel Culture". This isn't Jeremy Roenick putting his foot in his mouth, or Don Cherry saying something yet again that's vaguely Xenophobic. This was repeated malicious behavior that went on for years.

Maybe by having his dream taken away from him, Miller will be able realize the full brunt of what he actually did to that poor kid and how truly despicable it was for him to treat another human being with such disrespect. While it does make it worse, it really doesn't even matter that he was disabled. That kid was most likely terrified to go to school every single day and it's because Miller actively decided to make him feel that way. Just awful.

Imagine being a Yotes fan and watching Miller score a goal and always having it the back of your mind that this kid grew up as a little piece of shit. It's tough to cheer for. I know it was with Patrick Kane early on with all of his douchebaggery he was on until August 2015. I'm sure there's more than a few pro-athletes who are scummy human beings but when it's out in the open like that it takes away the joy of watching them.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Disappointing seeing some people take this as "Cancel Culture". This isn't Jeremy Roenick putting his foot in his mouth, or Don Cherry saying something yet again that's vaguely Xenophobic. This was repeated malicious behavior that went on for years.

Maybe by having his dream taken away from him, Miller will be able realize the full brunt of what he actually did to that poor kid and how truly despicable it was for him to treat another human being with such disrespect. While it does make it worse, it really doesn't even matter that he was disabled. That kid was most likely terrified to go to school every single day and it's because Miller actively decided to make him feel that way. Just awful.

Imagine being a Yotes fan and watching Miller score a goal and always having it the back of your mind that this kid grew up as a little piece of shit. It's tough to cheer for. I know it was with Patrick Kane early on with all of his douchebaggery he was on until August 2015. I'm sure there's more than a few pro-athletes who are scummy human beings but when it's out in the open like that it takes away the joy of watching them.
It’s not even taken away from him. Some extra hurdles for sure and he might have to sign a minor league deal somewhere or go overseas but if he does the right things (or at least pretends too) works hard and the talent is there he still can earn an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->