NHL Arena 45 day release deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Is there any type of out-clause that says if the NHL resumes play and has a short season, they can get back all the dates they previously released?

These arenas have already released dates for 45 days for every day that goes by. So from today is already mid February (meaning the earliest start could be Feb.18 if no way to get back the days) and any deal done in the next 2 weeks would put the 45 days in late Feb.- Early March.

Anyone know?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Daly said they could be up and running in a short period of time, maybe one or two weeks.

There are 30 teams, I doubt all arenas have a full schedule right now.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
JWI19 said:
Does anyone know from their respective markets if the Arena have been adding newly previously unscheduled events? I know Joe Louis hasn't added anything yet.

There's been none added at the HSBC. It really doesn't matter. If the NHL resumes play they'll have to come out with new schedule. It's no big deal to schedule around a few events that might have been booked on dates the team would normally play.

jacketracket*

Don't know when these were scheduled, but I've seen recent television advertisements for a rodeo and one of those "monster truck" thingys at Nationwide. :rolleyes:

Gawd, I miss hockey.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I think most arenas have been reluctant to schedule any additional events than they normally do during the season, just in case the NHL season were to be salvaged. I think that if there is no deal within the next few weeks that arenas may start adding additional events without having to worry about conflicting with the NHL season.

In many cities, the NHL is not the only venue for major concerts and events, so other than the NBA and in many cities, the AFL, most arenas during the NHL season don't hold as many events as they do during from May until September. Here in the Atlanta area with the opening a few years ago of the Arena @ Gwinnett Center, a number of concerts and events that in the past would have been held at Philips Arena are now happening up @ Gwinnett. With concert and event revenues lagging, promoters are looking for smaller arenas and venues so they have less of a risk, and selling out a 11,000 seat venue is a lot easier than selling out a 18,000 seat venue.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I agree with those saying arena schedules can be worked around. It's not as if more circuses and rock bands went on tour because of the NHL lockout.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
vespajet said:
I think most arenas have been reluctant to schedule any additional events than they normally do during the season, just in case the NHL season were to be salvaged. I think that if there is no deal within the next few weeks that arenas may start adding additional events without having to worry about conflicting with the NHL season.

It has more to do with inability than reluctance. A typical event that requires an 18,000 seat arena is 6 months to a year in planning. There's little if anything to book when operating in a 45 day window. The NHL's 45 day announcement was a hollow threat intended to gain leverage on the players.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bicycle Repairman said:
I agree with those saying arena schedules can be worked around. It's not as if more circuses and rock bands went on tour because of the NHL lockout.

The BR NHLPA Benefit Tour has just been scheduled for the HSBC in late January. I understand it features a dunk tank. :D

Lanny MacDonald*

Buffaloed said:
The BR NHLPA Benefit Tour has just been scheduled for the HSBC in late January. I understand it features a dunk tank. :D

Are there sharks in the tank? And are the sharks fitted with "lasers"? :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->