Confirmed with Link: NHL Announces RTP Schedule. Leafs play game 1 on August 2nd

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Or maybe it means NBC produces and televise and announce the east games and Sportsnet the West.

Doesn’t make any sense to produce west games and announce east games

What I am saying is that while NBC will producing the video in the east, and Sportsnet in the west, I think both will have announcers in each hub. So, NBC would have announcers in Edmonton to do the games they want to focus on and simply use the Sportsnet announcer feed for the others. Similarly, Sportsnet would have announcers in Toronto to do the games they want. But I can't see Rogers being very happy with paying over $400M a year and being forced to air NBC announcers for Toronto and Montreal playoff games.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
So let me get this straight. The teams in the round robin get to float around because they are already guaranteed a playoffs spot? While the qualifying teams have to fight to the death to win 3? If that's the case it's not fair.
It's really no different than a Tampa or Boston coasting in to the playoffs with a few weeks to go, while lower ranked teams are fighting to grab the last few spots. The uniqueness of this situation is that teams haven't played hockey since March.

I would also argue that given that players haven't played meaningful games in months, the round robin teams would have the advantage as they should be fully up to speed and dialed in before game 1 of the first round. The only concern for round robin participants is perhaps injury. I can't imagine that fatigue will be much of a concern given the 4+ month break they've had to heal.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So let me get this straight. The teams in the round robin get to float around because they are already guaranteed a playoffs spot? While the qualifying teams have to fight to the death to win 3? If that's the case it's not fair.
I thought they were gonna play some sort of round robin style seeding tournament or something like that.

Honestly though if they’re just sitting there waiting for the qualifier round they’re gonna get steamrolled by the team that gets thru because barring injury, the other team is gonna have their legs and timing back. I don’t see it as an advantage whatsoever

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I thought they were gonna play some sort of round robin style seeding tournament or something like that.

Honestly though if they’re just sitting there waiting for the qualifier round they’re gonna get steamrolled by the team that gets thru because barring injury, the other team is gonna have their legs and timing back. I don’t see it as an advantage whatsoever

There are six round robin games in each hub. Each of the top 4 teams in each conference plays the other 3 top teams once. These games are played using regular season rules, so regulation ties will be decided with 5 minutes on 3-on-3 overtime followed by a shootout (if necessary). Teams accumulate points like they would in the regular season. The team with the most points gets seed 1, the next most points gets seed 2, and so on. Ties in points are broken by regular season points percentage.

The winners of the best-of-5 series are slotted into seeds 5-8 based on their regular season points percentage. The "first round" is then seed 1 vs. seed 8, seed 2 vs. seed 7, and so Each round, teams are reseeded, so that is always first vs. worst in each round.

In any event, heading into the "first round," the top four teams will each have played 3 games to determine their seeding, while the winners of the best-of-series will have played 3-5 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I'd rather be one of the qualifying teams that just went through a round rather than a team sitting in limbo.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'd rather be one of the qualifying teams that just went through a round rather than a team sitting in limbo.

The top 4 teams are not sitting in limbo. They each play each other once using regular season rules and the points from those games determine whether they are seeded 1, 2, 3, or 4 -- with regular season points percentage as the tiebreaker.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I recently bought a house in Halifax. Leaving the GTA on the 30th, arriving in Halifax on the 31st... first moving pod (with TV, couch, etc.) arrives on August 1st. Hopefully I'll have everything set up and ready to go for the first game on the 2nd! Just have to make it through the next three weeks.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Looking at the schedule, it is literally March Madness for the first two weeks.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I recently bought a house in Halifax. Leaving the GTA on the 30th, arriving in Halifax on the 31st... first moving pod (with TV, couch, etc.) arrives on August 1st. Hopefully I'll have everything set up and ready to go for the first game on the 2nd! Just have to make it through the next three weeks.

Welcome to Chebucto!

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Looks like Johnsson is potentially available if the Leafs make it to Round 2, according to Dubas.
That depth!

Clifford - Spezza - Johnsson <--- solid 4th line and able to get AJs legs going.

Engvall - Kerfoot - Kapanen <----good mix of speed size and potential to do damage

Mikhayev - Tavares - Marner <--- Hope Soup is ready to rumble

Hyman - Matthews-Nylander <---firepower outa the gates...open up matchups for other lines

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Do we know how the TV schedule is going to breakdown?

Wondering if TSN gets their hands on some of the play-in round... those games would have to be regional... my centre ice subscription better continue if that is the case.

Anxious to see the times of the games.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Has there been any twitter news about Mikheyev practicing or being ready?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Wondering if TSN gets their hands on some of the play-in round... those games would have to be regional... my centre ice subscription better continue if that is the case.

My guess is that all these games are gong to be national and thus, Sportsnet/CBC.

Reactions: wingman75

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I would think every game will be National.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingman75 and kb

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

If they don’t , wonder if centre ice subscribers get a refund.

Reactions: wingman75

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Some preliminary schedules pegging the Leafs playing at 8pm on the 2nd and 4th... not sure I buy that. I'd take an afternoon game on the 2nd (Sunday).

Also mentioned elsewhere on the forum that NBC is doing the in house production in TO and Sportsnet in EDM. I still assume each broadcaster will have their own pbp and overlay their own gfx.

I hope the Leafs games are at 8 on the weekdays so I don't have to 'book' time off work...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->