NHL and Pepsi come to terms

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Per the NY Post:

June 20, 2006 -- Pepsi is ready to clean up hockey players and push them onto the ice as the new pitchmen for its chips and drinks.
The National Hockey League yesterday unveiled a deal with the soda and snack giant to launch the league's biggest ever foray into the rough and tumble world of sports marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
nyranger61494 said:
Per the NY Post:

For about $4 million a year - or 19 cents for each paying hockey fan - Pepsi is getting exclusive rights to promote Gatorade, Lays chips, Pepsi and its water Aquafina at the 30 teams in the U.S.

One of three things happened....

We invaded Canada and conquered them already, or the NHL has expanded 6 teams in the US or the NY Post sucks.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
NJDevs430 said:
When posting the entire article doesn't suffice, and Google is unheard of.

Also, when did we invade Canada? And why wasn't I asked to come along?

AGraveOne

Jan 24, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Sweet! I love pepsi...diet, of course (you get used to the flavor within a week), because i am too old to be frivilously throwing calories down my person.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Pepsi should mock up a picture of Kovalchuk pointing to one of its products as part of their advertising.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I don't know how this is going to help other then the minimal funds pepsi is providing. I bet you that Pepsi will be just as proactive as coke or whoever was before them.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Greek_physique69 said:
Players will now be drinking Pepsi on the bench :biglaugh:

Gatorade , food stand will sell Pepsi .

OT but : Wayne Greztky was always drinking 1 bottle of water + 1 diet coke + 1 gatorade before every game .

Dobermann

Jan 2, 2006
They should've sponsored with Dr. Pepper for the sunbelt teams. We love our Dr. Pepper down south. :)

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Jozeph_Balej said:
Gatorade , food stand will sell Pepsi .

OT but : Wayne Greztky was always drinking 1 bottle of water + 1 diet coke + 1 gatorade before every game .

Well even Wayne changed his tune a few years back. He's now a Pepsi spokesperson. This shocks me greatly due to his staunch Coke stance. In the 1991 Canada Cup after practice in Hamilton (I believe), Copps Coliseum being an exclusive Pepsi building had Pepsi cups for the players to drink water from etc. Wayne being so staunchly Coke, refused to drink out of the Pepsi cups and called the local Coke bottling plant and had them bring out Coke cups for them.

Its too bad he's a Pepsi man, I always used to like those Coke commercials with him and Walter from the early 90's.

Just something I noticed while typing this post. Is it just me or do all Canadians seem to be on first name basis with both Wayne and Walter Gretzky? If you mention something about Wayne or Walter to a Canadian hockey fan, everyone knows who you mean.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
ICK!! I friggin' detest Pepsi!! I'm a Diet Coke girl myself, gotta love the Coke. Oh well, this actually changes nothing for my game viewing habits, I'll just continue sneaking in my 20 oz. bottles of Diet Coke....among other beverages.

;)

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Well even Wayne changed his tune a few years back. He's now a Pepsi spokesperson. This shocks me greatly due to his staunch Coke stance. In the 1991 Canada Cup after practice in Hamilton (I believe), Copps Coliseum being an exclusive Pepsi building had Pepsi cups for the players to drink water from etc. Wayne being so staunchly Coke, refused to drink out of the Pepsi cups and called the local Coke bottling plant and had them bring out Coke cups for them.

Its too bad he's a Pepsi man, I always used to like those Coke commercials with him and Walter from the early 90's.

Just something I noticed while typing this post. Is it just me or do all Canadians seem to be on first name basis with both Wayne and Walter Gretzky? If you mention something about Wayne or Walter to a Canadian hockey fan, everyone knows who you mean.

Hey- Wayne and his dad don't need last names- EVERYONE knows who they are so no need with the last name imo. Look people most of the time call Lemieux just Mario and Tiger Woods is always just Tiger so it goes with the territory. As a sidenote I thought the photos at the NHL draft showed Wayne at the draft table with a diet Coke- could be wrong but I thought he still digged coke- oh well just so Pepsi did not see it I guess. baha.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
ICK!! I friggin' detest Pepsi!! I'm a Diet Coke girl myself, gotta love the Coke. Oh well, this actually changes nothing for my game viewing habits, I'll just continue sneaking in my 20 oz. bottles of Diet Coke....among other beverages.

;)

I told Jay Feaster I was going to have to smuggle a bottle of Coke into the games, but I have no idea how to go about it. :( I hate Pepsi!

Potential good news:

The former soft drink sponsor, Coca-Cola, decided last month against continuing its 17-year sponsorship with the NHL. For the time being however, Coca-Cola will remain the exclusive soft drink vendor at 18 of the NHL arenas, while Pepsi will be the exclusive vendor at 12 of the arenas.

Fingers crossed Coca-Cola stays in Tampa Bay!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->