NHL and AWS deal

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Before the playoffs started the NHL and AWS announced the formation of a new partnership. You can read more about it here (AWS and the NHL to Debut Advanced Stats During the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs) and here (AWS and NHL launch new stats powered by AWS in advance of Stanley Cup Playoffs).

I love wasting hours on the MLB equivalent (baseballsavant.mlb.com) and the NFL recently launched a next gen stats website (NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats) as well.

So my Q is: Does anyone know if the NHL and Amazon intend to have a website like the MLB/NFL for advanced stats? Perhaps for this upcoming season or maybe at some point in the near future?

The NHL stats page on the NHL.com website is stuck in the stone-ages. Hell, it isn't even HTTPS. In 2021. I think it would be really cool if the NHL and Amazon could get a website like this up and running.

Reactions: LeHab

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Before the playoffs started the NHL and AWS announced the formation of a new partnership. You can read more about it here (AWS and the NHL to Debut Advanced Stats During the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs) and here (AWS and NHL launch new stats powered by AWS in advance of Stanley Cup Playoffs).

I love wasting hours on the MLB equivalent (baseballsavant.mlb.com) and the NFL recently launched a next gen stats website (NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats) as well.

So my Q is: Does anyone know if the NHL and Amazon intend to have a website like the MLB/NFL for advanced stats? Perhaps for this upcoming season or maybe at some point in the near future?

The NHL stats page on the NHL.com website is stuck in the stone-ages. Hell, it isn't even HTTPS. In 2021. I think it would be really cool if the NHL and Amazon could get a website like this up and running.

spit-laugh.gif

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I thought Amazon bought the NHL.

I can see it happening.

Jack Eichel could order a new surgeon with free delivery via Amazon Prime and refs would be replaced by a bunch of GPU-optimized AMI's.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I've never visited the nhl stats page but absolutely can't believe they don't have a cert. Like, let's encrypt is f***ing free.

Unreal.

I bet they host the website on a shitty Windows server in Gary Bettman's basement or something.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Man, that guy was f***ing crazy. Actually super sad.

definitely very sad. homie wrote a kernel, bootloader and compiler entirely by himself...he had an incredible level of talent but the human brain can be a very, very cruel mistress.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
definitely very sad. homie wrote a kernel, bootloader and compiler entirely by himself...he had an incredible level of talent but the human brain can be a very, very cruel mistress.
Reminded me of a story by Gianni Rodari about a man who recorded Verdi's "Aida" all by himself - singing all the parts and playing all the instruments, and engineering it all together. It took him thirty years, with all the effects and he also performed crowd reactions - applause and stuff.

When the folks from the town of the guy listened to his record, they said:
"Excellent. Sounds like a real recording."

The story is called "Aida". I am not sure it's translated into English. The Spanish translation is available
http://www.colegioortegaygasset.com/users/quiquelara/GR/26.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
NHL not using TLS for their stats is a nice throwback to the nineties though and they sure could use a lot more of that in a lot of aspects

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad