NHL allows one buyout this season - Redden?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He wouldn't help Ottawa by waving his NTC so yes lets sign him and when he finishes game 999 glue his seat to the upper decks.

If you give a guy a NTC he has every right to use it. The team shouldn't be mad at him for doing so. Heatley on the other hand? Completely different story.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I don't know. Murray is ALL about hometown reunions, and such. Local boys, guys with connections to Ottawa.

I'm not saying there's a HUGE chance... but history would at least show there is a small chance.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, here.

Redden's home town isn't Ottawa, but thanks for playing Devil's Advocate. ;)

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
wasn't Reds even spotted at one of our games in the playoffs last year or something?...anyways, the guy was just awesome in the community here and had every right to exercise his ntc.

I'd welcome him back with open arms.... he deserves to get his 1000th in a Sens uni anyways.

I'm hoping Alfie and Phillips put in a good word with BM.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
wasn't Reds even spotted at one of our games in the playoffs last year or something?...anyways, the guy was just awesome in the community here and had every right to exercise his ntc.

I'd welcome him back with open arms.... he deserves to get his 1000th in a Sens uni anyways.

Well, we were playing the Rangers...

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I really doubt Redden comes back to Ottawa. For his sake, I hope he finds an NHL job, but I don't expect it to be here.

sauce11

Apr 8, 2010
i was a redden fan once too... in 06'. the guy hasn't played in the show in 3 years and he's 35. i don't care what price we could have him at. he's done

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Why?

Lundin has actually been playing in this league the past 4 years and Benoit has been better at the AHL level than him, what makes you think he would be better in those 2?

It will likely be Boro and Wier over Benoit anyhow. Both are larger D and one is certainly more physical.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It will likely be Boro and Wier over Benoit anyhow. Both are larger D and one is certainly more physical.

There are benefits to having both. Wiercoch-Benoit is already an established D pairing in Bingo. Benoit could potentially thrive in a high tempo Maclean system. Boro on the other hand gives us a stay at home guy with a nasty edge and who will drop the mitts. ie essentially everything we're missing from our blue line.

Hard to say which of Wier or Boro they'd flip over to the right side or if they'd make Phillips swap.

rbkhockey29

May 3, 2007
Maryland
Still dont really understand what happen to Wades game...Did the rule changes hurt him? There was a point in the early 2000's i thought he was in the top 5-10 dmen in the league. Kinda sad.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Still dont really understand what happen to Wades game...Did the rule changes hurt him? There was a point in the early 2000's i thought he was in the top 5-10 dmen in the league. Kinda sad.
My guess is his body broke down. He was never known as a guy that trained hard, and I think once he lost a half step he became too slow for the faster NHL game. I always thought he would have been decent again if he dedicated himself to fitness and training.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
If you give a guy a NTC he has every right to use it. The team shouldn't be mad at him for doing so. Heatley on the other hand? Completely different story.

Agreed, however dont expect the team to do you any favours in return. Employing Redden in order to reach the 1000 game mark would be a favour.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I agree with most of what is being said here. Redden was a stud in his youth and then it all crashed. That was on him and the people he was around. He earned his time here, and then he earned his exit. If he wanted his 1000th to be with the Sens he could have made it happen. He's been extremely welll paid for doing basically nothing NHL-wise these last years.

I prefer to see Wiercioch, Borowiecki and Benoit get their shot. Lundin will be back soon enough and push one of them back to Binghamton, barring injury.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder if the Islanders will buy out Depietro & Toronto Komisarek?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The stock footage they show of Redden on TSN is hilarious. The man is majestically stoic. Its like looking at Blue Steel.

33481012.jpg

http://memegenerator.net/Wade-Zoolander

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if the Islanders will buy out Depietro & Toronto Komisarek?

The Islanders need their contract anchor to continue icing a sub-par team on a yearly basis, so I doubt it. Have they not iced a floor team the last few years which includes the 4.5mil paid to a player that never plays?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
He played well in the series when his mother was dying and he was going back and forth from his home to Ottawa, however after that he seemed to lose a lot of his spark.
But his body was pretty battered to start with, he reportedly had to spend a lot of time before each game getting work on his back and legs.

I think his bones were turned to chowder in the Finals against the Ducks.
Redden was targeted more than any other player during that series and took a lot of hits to make plays.

If you want to see players dodging hits take another look at that series to see Spezza and Heatley hastily getting rid of the puck with Pronger and company bearing down on them.

But I think Redden sustained additional physical damage in that series and that along with a lack of footspeed contributed to the decline in his play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->