NHL allows one buyout this season - Redden?

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Im fine with having Redden until Lundin comes back, keep him away from the penalty kill or top lines duties though and pair him with Gonchar/Karlsson sometimes on the powerplay.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Im fine with having Redden until Lundin comes back, keep him away from the penalty kill or top lines duties though and pair him with Gonchar/Karlsson sometimes on the powerplay.

Redden - EK would be interesting only because the past meeting the future is always fun.

I definitely still overrate Redden, and he'd probably just be horrid in the NHL at this point, but you can't say it wouldn't be fun to watch him play a couple games.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Call me nostalgic, but I would like to see Wade Redden play a few more games in a Sens uni to end his career. Obviously the price has to be right, like minimum salary.

65isthenew11

Feb 22, 2012
Hockey teams don't sign players because they want to be nice, they sign players who can help them win. Redden does not help them in any way at all.:shakehead

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This isn't Toronto guys. We don't have the media to make "What's old is new again" profitable.

Also, the following players are never coming back:
Fisher;
Kelly;
Redden;
Volchenkov;
Foligno;
Carkner;
Vermette;
Havlat;
Heatley;
Hossa;
Chara;

Havlat and Volchenkov would make great deadline pickups. Just sayin'.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Not a chance Chiarelli goes near him, the Bruins D for the most part is a pretty physical group and all can skate better then him, it would be a poor match much like Kaberle and Corvo were in Boston. I also think Chiarelli was in Ottawa when Redden started his deep decline, that alone would scare him off being privy to what was going on.

Chiarelli has a fetish for ex-Sens. Chara, Schaefer, Eaves, McGrattan, Kelly, Hnidy, etc.

Boston is the odds on favourite here for sure.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Put him in bingo for the rest of the year on a 2-way. Worst case scenario he sucks and is never called up.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Radek Bonk is at 969 NHL games played. Just sayin'.

BRHV0.gif

WE NEED TO CORRECT THIS. BONK NEEDS A THOU!

:sarcasm:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This isn't Toronto guys. We don't have the media to make "What's old is new again" profitable.

Also, the following players are never coming back:
Fisher;
Kelly;
Redden;
Volchenkov;
Foligno;
Carkner;
Vermette;
Havlat;
Heatley;
Hossa;
Chara;

I don't see saprykin on there....

saupload_lloyd-300x300.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd still say I'd take him (Redden) as the 7th "pressbox" guy, and if he happens to play well enough to play his way into the top-6, good for him. The last thing I want is for a guy like Boro or Weir, guys who are at the point in their careers that they need to play games in order to further develop, to sit in the pressbox for 60+ games this year. 7th defencemen are always best when they're older vets: if they sit for long stretches, it's not like you're stunting their development.

Worst case scenario: you pay Redden to be the pressbox cheerleader, add a veteran voice, and have a guy who can play in emergency situations.
Bet case scenario: he plays bottom pairing minutes.

Either way, IF we're not going out to add another roster player (and that's the key: there are guys I'd like to add before Reds, but if that's not going to happen...), it's worth a bit of a gamble IMO. You're out, literally, NOTHING if he doesn't pan out. A 1-year deal for like a mil. If he truly has lost everything, like I said, you stick him in the pressbox and he can help the young guys during practice.

Honestly, I think a chance to play in the NHL again might be enough of a motivator for him to be able to play effective 3rd pair minutes.. light a fire under his arse and really get him out of whatever shell he's developed playing in the A. That is a TOTAL gut call, though. I'm not basing that on any real evidence.

All that being said, I won't be heartbroken or anything if we don't sign him. I just don't think it'll be the end of the world if we do.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Redden went down for salary reasons. Don't be shocked if he comes back and shows he has at least a bit more gas in the tank.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
He wouldn't help Ottawa by waving his NTC so yes lets sign him and when he finishes game 999 glue his seat to the upper decks.

John Holmes*

I'd take a look at Redden if the price was right. Not for a primetime role obviously, just depth as most are advocating.

He can't be any worse than Jason Smith or Luke Richardson or Grant Ledyard were.

If he can still contribute, I say bring him in.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I wanna see the guy get to a 1000 games, but I also want to see the Sens succeed, and unfortunately, both of these goals are incompatible with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad