NHL all-time statistics - nationality breakdown

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
hey guys, so I made a youtube video about statistics based on players nationality. I wanted to do it just for fun but it took took longer than expected so the timing is not the best (2020 season last data) and also ti took so much work - collecting and cleaning data, graphics, animations.... Sometimes it is hard to determine the nationality of players so please take this with a grain of salt. I've tried to investigate some specific borderline cases individually the best I could. However, this might not be 100% correct, but I think it gives a very nice idea. Please note nationality is not determined by place of birth so for example Stan Mikita is considered Canadian.
please, enjoy

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
For trophy winners, specifically the Art Ross, is that just active players? Because you have both Iginla and Henrik Sedin on there, but not Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Since he's been in the NHL he has more Richard trophies than every other NHL player combined lol

His goal totals are also so insanely high compared to another player of his era, and the gap just gets bigger every time. Crosby is 2nd to him with only 65% of Ovechkin's goals.

If you extend that time period to include the 90's only 3 more players break the 600 goals barrier: Jagr (1733 games), Selanne (1451 games) and Iginla (1554 games). Only Jagr has more goals (766) to Ovechkin's 724, but Ovechkin also player 1182 games.

Some will throw the "age" argument, but the players on this list had continued success far into their career. And Ovechkin is still producing a 50-goals pace at 35, I have no doubt that he'll widen the gap every year until he retires.

I also think there's too much money to make with beating a Gretzky's "untouchable" record so if Ovechkin wants to play, I don't see the NHL turning their back on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad