OT: NHL All-Time Draft

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
According to rule #4, Macinnis and Pronger are ineligible draftees as they were drafted by Calgary and Hartford, respectively.

So, with that said, I will go with Bernie Federko.

Then again, maybe I am misreading the rules.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
According to rule #4, Macinnis and Pronger are ineligible draftees as they were drafted by Calgary and Hartford, respectively.

So, with that said, I will go with Bernie Federko.

Then again, maybe I am misreading the rules.

You're misreading in this case. Rule 4 is stating that you're not getting them at age 40, or their present age, etc. When drafted, they're basically in their draft year age-wise

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
You're misreading in this case. Rule 4 is stating that you're not getting them at age 40, or their present age, etc. When drafted, they're basically in their draft year age-wise
Cool, thanks.

Edit: After further reflection, I, instead, select Sergei Makarov.

Last edited:
Reactions: UnSandvich

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
Howie Morenz is probably the best player available, but with the current make up of the team, I think the Blues would want a two-way minute eating left defenseman. BPA LDs are Slava Fetisov, Larry Robinson, Red Kelly, Brad Park, Pierre Pilote, King Clancy, and Chris Pronger. Chris Pronger is one of my favorite players of all-time but it would be hard not to choose Robinson or Kelly.

My vote is Larry Robinson.

Reactions: stl76 and Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Pronger for me.i am basing that selection on how the game is played today. Certainly others on the board are great picks as well, I just lead toward Pronger because he could skate, defend, be physical, put up points, cove large swaths of the ice, eat incredible number of minutes and dictate the flow of the offense through the breakout (one of the best breakout passes in the game that could stretch the neutral zone out).

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Pronger in Rd 1 and Scott Stevens in Rd 2 and we’d have a nasty D.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Toss up between Pronger and Robinson. I'm gonna vote Pronger as I was able to watch him play and I also would love to see a Pronger/Parayko pairing.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Morenz is probably the guy that should be taken.

Ted Lindsay would be a good pick too though. He’s exactly the type of player you win in the playoffs with.

Reactions: stl76

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
guys i havent seen mentioned that i think should be

Marcel Dionne
Brett Hull
Teemu Selanne
Pat Lafontaine

I will put my vote for Lafontaine because i would love to see him without the injury issues hopefully. My dad once told me that he was the most talented player he ever saw live.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Really?!?

Chris Pronger.

I guess I should be used to it.

The older I get, the less I get it.
If we were drafting purely based on BPA, then the smartest move probably would've been to take one of the all time greats from the earlier days of hockey (Nighbor, Morenz, ect). There were also some great options from the 50's and 60's that might've been better options (Mikita, Red Kelly, ect). The idea that the player drafted would be added to the current roster actually makes this a really interesting exercise tho. Taking into account the parameters of the poll, Pronger isn't a bad option.

Makes a lot of sense with our current team make up to go after a LHD. Brad Park and Larry Robinson would've been fantastic options as well...but Pronger is a solid choice IMO given how he could slot into our line up and excel very quickly. The Blues line up is built to win right now, which I think has to be taken into account for this poll.

Robinson would have been a great fit stylistically, but he also took longer to develop. He entered the league at age 21, but didn't really hit his stride until his 4th full year in the league at age 25 (7 years after being drafted in this scenario). Park is intriguing given he made an immediate impact entering the league at 20, 2 years after being drafted, and winning the Calder. After winning rookie of the year at 20, Park was basically and elite LHD every year for the next 10 years - racking up many 1st team all star, Norris, and even Hart votes (would've racked up numerous Norris wins if not for Orr). The question with Park is more of a stylistic one: would his style of play fit in with the team structure? Hard to say for certain.

Pronger is kind of splitting the difference in terms of immediate impact and stylistic fit. There's really no question in my mind he would have been a great fit stylistically. He also entered the league at 19, 1 year after being drafted, and was an immediate contributor. Took a bit longer than Park but faster than Robinson to really hit his stride at 22-23. His peak and playoff performances are right there with both players, and (hopefully) less injuries/concussions would extend both peak and excellent playoff performance later into his career.

All-in-all, if we were going to make a homer pick, Prongs was a pretty good choice.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad