OT: NHL All-Time Draft

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Imagine if Bourque played 10 years with Gretzky and Mario instead of the schlubs on the Bruins.

If Coffey was on the Bruins those guys wouldn't be schlubs, he would turn them into top 5 players ever like he did Gretzky and Lemieux.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If Coffey was on the Bruins those guys wouldn't be schlubs, he would turn them into top 5 players ever like he did Gretzky and Lemieux.

Yeah, I think Coffey owes a lot more of his success to those 2 players than vice versa

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oates is a favourite of mine, but have to put my vote on: Marcel Dionne

GP: 1348
Goals: 731 (5th)
Assists: 1040 (11th)

---

I think he compares well to Mike Bossy, if not favorably. If you look at Dionne's numbers through the ten years Bossy played, he comes out with 1,091 points in 761 games, compared to Bossy's 1126 in 752 games. But it's important to remember that Dionne was 36 years old by the time Bossy retired, and this comparison leaves out a few of his best years, which came before Bossy's career began. If you take the best ten year stretch of Dionne's career, he comes out slightly ahead, in terms of points. Bossy was the better goal-scorer, obviously, but Dionne was not exactly a slouch in that regard either, given where he ended up on the all time list.

Reactions: Maelmoor

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Trottier is available and you're considering Dionne.

Look - Shore is by far the BPA. 4 Hart Trophies. Numerous 1st team all stars. Great skater + mean as hell. But if you're talking available players from that era, Dionne over Trottier is downright dumb. Even Dionne wouldn't make that pick.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Fedorov must be the most overrated player in NHL history. Sub PPG with a decent chunk in a high scoring era, one Hart and two Selkes. That is not "top 30 player of all time" material.

Hell it's borderline top 100 at best.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Martin St. Louis . I don't care it is fitting we pick him and yes it is a Homer pick. Peak Marty is HOF material.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
TVR

edit: oh, they can't be active. I'd be okay with Morenz or Shore.

Jacques Plante and Terry Sawchuk are also untaken.

I'd probably give the edge to Shore out of everyone though.

I liked Sergei Fedorov as a player, but taking him at #28 is ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho Man

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Fedorov must be the most overrated player in NHL history. Sub PPG with a decent chunk in a high scoring era, one Hart and two Selkes. That is not "top 30 player of all time" material.

Hell it's borderline top 100 at best.

This we agree on. Fedorov is the most over-rated player I've seen on these boards. People are basing their opinion on his highlight reel, forgetting that his best years were behind him, for the most part, by the time he was 27. Even though he still had the talent to take over games, which made it all the more infuriating. Also agreed that Fedorov is only arguably inside the top-100 players ever. If he's inside, it's just barely.

I'd be more comfortable with Datsyuk than Fedorov. He was more consistent for a much longer period, and was inarguably a top 5 or 10 player in the game for a solid chunk of time. And it's way too early for Datsyuk still, so Fedorov shouldn't be in the conversation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
What about Stan Mikita?

He more/less took the torch from Gordie Howe in the early 60s.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have no interest in anyone pre expansion, hard to guage how good those guys were back then and there's no good footage to even see how they played. So guys like Shore and Morentz are out for me. The most important thing is scoring goals so for me Bossy is the guy, his goals per game are the best in league history and if you're picking 27th and can get a guy who pots 50 a year you take him. Here's my new top 5.

Bossy- 0.76 goals per game, 1st, 1.5 points per game, 3rd all time.
Coffey- 2nd best offensive defenseman in league history to me. 13th all time in points, 2nd in goals and assists amongst defenseman, higher goals per game, assists per game and points per game then Bourque.
LaFontaine- I'm American, he was awesome when healthy. 15th all time in points per game, probably the 2nd best player on NHL 94 besides Roenick, him an Mogilny were sick together.
Dionne- 6th all time in points, 5th in points per game.
Trottier- 17th all time in points, was an absolute winner.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have no interest in anyone pre expansion, hard to guage how good those guys were back then and there's no good footage to even see how they played. So guys like Shore and Morentz are out for me. The most important thing is scoring goals so for me Bossy is the guy, his goals per game are the best in league history and if you're picking 27th and can get a guy who pots 50 a year you take him. Here's my new top 5.

Bossy- 0.76 goals per game, 1st, 1.5 points per game, 3rd all time.
Coffey- 2nd best offensive defenseman in league history to me. 13th all time in points, 2nd in goals and assists amongst defenseman, higher goals per game, assists per game and points per game then Bourque.
LaFontaine- I'm American, he was awesome when healthy. 15th all time in points per game, probably the 2nd best player on NHL 94 besides Roenick, him an Mogilny were sick together.
Dionne- 6th all time in points, 5th in points per game.
Trottier- 17th all time in points, was an absolute winner.

Bossy's long gone.

I actually like Trottier a lot for his two-way game. I'm not sure I'd take him over Dionne because Trottier had such a crazy supporting cast for offense, but I could definitely see it.

I'm with Macho on Coffey, maybe because I grew up a Wings fan. One of my earliest emotional hockey memories was Coffey getting traded out of Detroit--I loved Coffey as a kid--which I later learned was because Scotty Bowman thought he was uncoachable. I just don't think he belongs in the top-30, despite those Edmonton years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Macho is right about Eddie Shore though.... bar none he is one of the better players ever. Not the best but he's like the Mendoza line of what a really great defender is. Coffey on the other hand might've had the best skating and offensive instincts for a defender ever and has a timeless skillset even if he sucked rocks defensively.

I'm flipping a coin

Edit: forgot about Dionne..... f*** my life I'm REALLY taking this too seriously

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
f*** it.... it's Eddie Shore. Make my vote official

OP says he's up to date. Give me a defender who can shut the shit down all day long. Short of a goalie going Cup Finals Tim Thomas in net there is literally nothing more valuable on the ice than a defender who is a proverbial black hole who destroys offenses.

Hard..... HARD pass on Marcel Dionne and Paul Coffey.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Minor, but perhaps important tidbit: The Norris trophy wasn't a thing when Shore played. However, he finished in the Top 5 of Hart voting 8 times (including 4 wins), and was the highest voted defenseman in all of those years. So one could assume he'd have at least 8 Norris wins, which would tie him with Bobby Orr for the most all time.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How did I miss the Bossy selection.

If it wasn't for Slapshot nobody would know anything about Eddie Shore. Paul Coffey would skate circles around Shore and then beat his ass if Eddie was man enough to challenge him. Shore won 4 Hart trophies, big deal, if Coffey played in that era they would've renamed it after him cause he would've won it so much.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
rule 3 from the OP

3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad