OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Tampa, you are now on the clock with the 28th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- Pavel Bure
15. Calgary Flames- Mike Bossy
16. New York Rangers- Maurice Richard
17. Winnipeg Jets- Dale Hawerchuk
18. New York Islanders- Denis Potvin
19. Columbus Blue Jackets- Guy Lafleur
20. Toronto Maple Leafs- Patrick Roy
21. Carolina Hurricanes- Ray Bourque
22. Dallas Stars- Doug Harvey
23. Edmonton Oilers- Bobby Hull
24. Vegas Golden Knights- Martin Brodeur
25. Pittsburgh Penguins- Ron Francis
26. Philadelphia Flyers- Bobby Clarke
27. Washington Capitals- Phil Esposito
28. Tampa Bay Lightning- On the Clock
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll update this comment as each new vote comes in, but I can only count it if it's a single player vote (so not "Shore or Harvey" for example). If you're changing your vote later on, that's fine, just make a note of it.

Coffey (1)- Hose Em Down
Shore (5)- The Macho Man, Distant Thunder Rep, Felonious Python, AlwaysSunnyInTampa, BowDownToVasilevskiy
Fedorov (2)- Vasilevskiy, DeeVeeUss
Dionne (2)- DFC, Maelmoor
Martin St Louis (1)- TheGreatOutlaw
Lecavelier (1)- Todd1a

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
FWIW, my Top 2 currently on the board are Shore & Morenz
I think Morenz is overrated because a) he was a Hab, and b) he died young.

But I would have him a good bit over guys like Hawerchuk, Francis, or Lindros and would be second on my board as well.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
We aren't playing old time hockey, Coffey would skate circles around Shore.
Coffey is trash. There are a dozen players I'd take in front of him - including modern ones.

I want a defenseman who knows where the defensive zone is without having to refer to a map.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Paul Coffey was cool on Pros vs. Joes. Doesn't belong in this slot though, with all due respect. Great offensive d-man but not one of the best players ever. Might take me awhile to pick just one name here!

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Player A

1612 games played, 410 goals, 1169 assists, 1579 assists, 1141 penalty minutes, 173 power play goals, 16 short handed goals, 0.98 points per game, 5 Norris trophies, 1 Stanley Cup

Player B

1409 games played, 396 goals, 1135 assists, 1531 points, 1802 penalty minutes, 135 power play goals, 20 short handed goals, 1.09 points per game, 3 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups

Is one player that much better than the other?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Player A

1612 games played, 410 goals, 1169 assists, 1579 assists, 1141 penalty minutes, 173 power play goals, 16 short handed goals, 0.98 points per game, 5 Norris trophies, 1 Stanley Cup

Player B

1409 games played, 396 goals, 1135 assists, 1531 points, 1802 penalty minutes, 135 power play goals, 20 short handed goals, 1.09 points per game, 3 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups

Yes, Bourque could play defense

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yes, Bourque could play defense

He could but Coffey could dominate a game with his offensive abilities. The best offensive defenseman since Orr and better than a modern day Karlsson. Dude had 5 seasons with over 100 points, 5 seasons with 30 or more goals, 48 goals one year, was over a ppg in the playoffs. Bourque never hit 100, had just 1 30 goal season, was under a ppg in the playoffs. Bourque was better in his own end and he aged a bit better but Coffey was dynamite when he was at his peak. Who else is there to pick Dionne, Oates, Bossy?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
He could but Coffey could dominate a game with his offensive abilities. The best offensive defenseman since Orr and better than a modern day Karlsson. Dude had 5 seasons with over 100 points, 5 seasons with 30 or more goals, 48 goals one year, was over a ppg in the playoffs. Bourque never hit 100, had just 1 30 goal season, was under a ppg in the playoffs. Bourque was better in his own end and he aged a bit better but Coffey was dynamite when he was at his peak. Who else is there to pick Dionne, Oates, Bossy?

Notables still on the board: Shore, Morenz (the top 2 imo),

Dionne, Oates, Fedorov, Plante, Selanne, Sawchuk, MacInnis, Chelios, Robinson, Stevens, Park, Mikita, Leetch, Coffey, Iginla, Trottier, Brett Hull, Shanahan, Murphy

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Player A

Player B

Yes Bourque is much better than Coffey.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We are good with Russians! We should pick
Sergei Fedorov!

I'd take Datsyuk over Fedorov.

I can't believe Washington took Phil Esposito from us.

My vote is for Marcel Dionne. I'm a sucker for numbers.

Reactions: Todd1a

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In the 80s...

And the 70s.

Plenty of guys who scored in the 80s have been drafted, but only a couple of them scored more than Dionne, and Dionne was already scoring before the high-flying 80s arrived, and his best seasons came before scoring went nuts. In any case, it's hard to discount over 700 goals and 1700 points, regardless when they were scored. Only the best of the best put up those types of numbers.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
And the 70s.

Plenty of guys who scored in the 80s have been drafted, but only a couple of them scored more than Dionne, and Dionne was already scoring before the high-flying 80s arrived, and his best seasons came before scoring went nuts. In any case, it's hard to discount over 700 goals and 1700 points, regardless when they were scored. Only the best of the best put up those types of numbers.
70s were high scoring as well. The league tripled in size in the span of a few years, there were no Europeans, and there was a talent drain from the WHA.

The 70s were the worst era for quality of competition in the expansion era - and on the short list in NHL history with the war years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
70s were high scoring as well. The league tripled in size in the span of a few years, there were no Europeans, and there was a talent drain from the WHA.

The 70s were the worst era for quality of competition in the expansion era - and on the short list in NHL history with the war years.

Sure, but when a guy stands out that much, I don't think it can be discounted. 'Maybe the era was bad, but this guy was arguably the best scorer of that era (late 70s into early 80s), rather than just a good scorer. And we're almost 30 players deep now, so I think it's time to start looking into that pile. He's the 6th leading scorer in NHL history. That's not to say he's the 6th best player, but we're not drafting #6.

He has the 3rd most 100 point seasons in NHL history, behind only Gretzky and Lemieux. No doubt some of that is due to the era he played in, but it's not like other guys weren't taking advantage of that same era. But nobody else scored like this until Gretzky and Mario came along.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->