OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Carolina, you are now on the clock with the 21st pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- Pavel Bure
15. Calgary Flames- Mike Bossy
16. New York Rangers- Maurice Richard
17. Winnipeg Jets- Dale Hawerchuk
18. New York Islanders- Denis Potvin
19. Columbus Blue Jackets- Guy Lafleur
20. Toronto Maple Leafs- Patrick Roy
21. Carolina Hurricanes- On the Clock
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
**** me all my favorite Avs are off the board. I do like that the Sabres fans got Hasek, but the Devils fans must have known how overrated Uncle Daddy is.

I guess out of guys that I can recall and have seen, maybe Ray Bourque?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'll update this post as each new vote comes in, but I can only count it if it's a single player vote (so not "Shore or Harvey" for example). If you're changing your vote later on, that's fine, just make a note of it.

Bourque (5)- Azor Aho, Gocanes0506, DaveG, Joe McGrath, tarheelhockey
Chad Larose (2)- Surrounded by Ahos, Anton Dubinchuk, Discipline Daddy
David Tanabe (1)- the halleJOKEL
Tretiak (1) - Navin R Slavin
Francis (2)- The Stranger, MinJaBen

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Put it down for Bourque. An almost PPG defender is much better than an almost ppg winger.

current players exempt is dumb. Its all time draft not old guys draft only

Bourque it is, votes have been adjusted. And to date, while almost every board I've done this with so far has had someone say Crosby or McDavid, nobody's called it dumb when they've seen the rule. It'd be sillier to see 2 Crosby's or Ovi's or McDavid's skating against each other in the same game.

(or for some real f***ery, as linemates)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Doug Harvey and his 7 Norris Trophies should be getting some recognition here as well, but I’ll go with Ray. Building a team from scratch you could do worse than a guy who routinely played 30+ minutes a night in his prime.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I'd go 1C or 1D.

Could make a case for guys like Fedorov, Datsyuk, Bourque, or Niedermayer....but I'll go with the obvious. 1C, 5th all time points, and played for the franchise.

Ron Francis.

Reactions: MinJaBen

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As much as I like Francis, no , do I ever take him over Bourque or Bobby Hull. In a scenario like this he's the guy you take 2-3 rounds from now to supplement the big offensive gun you take in the first couple rounds.

I'm going Bourque over Hull

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As much as I like Francis, no , do I ever take him over Bourque or Bobby Hull. In a scenario like this he's the guy you take 2-3 rounds from now to supplement the big offensive gun you take in the first couple rounds.

I'm going Bourque over Hull

Same here. Francis is a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer no doubter, but on the MVP/best player in the world vs. stat compiler scale, I'd definitely say he's closer to the compiler side (he's no Andreychuk, but he's certainly not ever been in the discussion for best player in the world at any point). Assuming you get these guys in their prime, Francis probably shouldn't be off the board here.

If Larose weren't on the board I'd agree, Bourque.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yup. Ronnie was awesome, but not really in play here to me. I never saw Hull play and I'm happy to build from D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad