OT: NHL All-Time Draft

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Not sure if it was asked/answered but is this continuing past the first round? We doing a whole 10 rounds or whatever?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm coming into this cold, but can you just confirm this for me - the picks are all voted on by committee?

Dale Hawerchuk actually won a vote, or....?

Not quite committee, more just whoever sees the thread and has an opinion they posted. That said, yes, Hawerchuk won a vote. He had a whopping 3 votes for him, while nobody else got more than one

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Not sure if it was asked/answered but is this continuing past the first round? We doing a whole 10 rounds or whatever?

10 rounds? You tryna give me a heart attack?

At present, I'm only planning on doing this first round, though I could theoretically be convinced to do a round 2. Not looking to be doing this in december though lol

Reactions: Kazparov

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

At present, I'm only planning on doing this first round, though I could theoretically be convinced to do a round 2. Not looking to be doing this in december though lol

Lol ok thank you for putting this together!

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Lol ok thank you for putting this together!

No worries mate. Friend and I used to discuss and debate the topic from time to time, and during my COVID related boredom stupor, I hit on the idea of doing this through the boards

Reactions: kb

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Jets fans love to celebrate the history of the Arizona Coyotes.

Not quite committee, more just whoever sees the thread and has an opinion they posted. That said, yes, Hawerchuk won a vote. He had a whopping 3 votes for him, while nobody else got more than one

Ah, I get it now. You're letting each fanbase vote on one player. Makes perfect sense now.

Reactions: kb and UnSandvich

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is actually so fun. Just having imaginary battles in my head between players. I read everything about Kharlamov - very impressive! :)

Yeah it's a fun concept for sure (though I doubt this particular draft will get very far).

I was once in a draft which was similar. Restricted to players who were drafted no earlier then Gretzky's draft year (which was a good idea as most people had at least some idea of who all the players were) and active players were also eligible. Drafted 9 forwards, 4 Dmen and 1 goalie. Other than that same idea, injury history is irrelevant and so on. IIRC, the first player drafted was 99, then 66 and then it got interesting. :)

The foreign player eligibility rules were a bit weird. You could draft anyone who had played a game in the NHL but IIRC you got them at the age when they played that first game so ... someone like Fedorov was very valuable and someone like Fetisov, not so much. I mean restricting it to people who had actually played in the NHL was probably a good idea as it saved us trying to evaluate guys we had never seen play but on the other hand, letting us get them at draft age would have been interesting, I'm not sure who I'd choose between Fetisov and Lidstrom just as an example.

Anyhow that one was a lot of fun. And this was about 10 years ago so it was far from clear how valuable guys like Crosby and Ovechkin were compared to guys like Yzerman, Messier etc. You can imagine how hard it was to make that 3rd pick after 99 and 66 as there were many players you could make a case for. A goalie like Hasek or Roy? A Dman like Lidstrom or Bourque? A forward like Jagr, Hull, Messier, Yzerman, Crosby ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Leader

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
OK screw it. Seventies Lord is correct, I'll take Eddie Shore. Don't know much about him but I'd be surprised if anyone not picked yet has a CV that can compete with this.

From Wiki:
Shore won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player four times, the most of any defenceman; only Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe have won it more often. After the league began naming NHL All-Star Teams at the end of Shore's fifth season, Shore was honoured as a First Team All-Star in seven of his last nine seasons, while being named a Second Team All-Star one of the other seasons; in the remaining season he missed over half the schedule due to injury.[2]

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Yeah it's a fun concept for sure (though I doubt this particular draft will get very far).

I was once in a draft which was similar. Restricted to players who were drafted no earlier then Gretzky's draft year (which was a good idea as most people had at least some idea of who all the players were) and active players were also eligible. Drafted 9 forwards, 4 Dmen and 1 goalie. Other than that same idea, injury history is irrelevant and so on. IIRC, the first player drafted was 99, then 66 and then it got interesting. :)

The foreign player eligibility rules were a bit weird. You could draft anyone who had played a game in the NHL but IIRC you got them at the age when they played that first game so ... someone like Fedorov was very valuable and someone like Fetisov, not so much. I mean restricting it to people who had actually played in the NHL was probably a good idea as it saved us trying to evaluate guys we had never seen play but on the other hand, letting us get them at draft age would have been interesting, I'm not sure who I'd choose between Fetisov and Lidstrom just as an example.

Anyhow that one was a lot of fun. And this was about 10 years ago so it was far from clear how valuable guys like Crosby and Ovechkin were compared to guys like Yzerman, Messier etc. You can imagine how hard it was to make that 3rd pick after 99 and 66 as there were many players you could make a case for. A goalie like Hasek or Roy? A Dman like Lidstrom or Bourque? A forward like Jagr, Hull, Messier, Yzerman, Crosby ...
Amazing dude! The fact that it still makes you smile when you think about it after all those years truly means it was worth it!!! :)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

I'll def. take over for ya, this is a bit too much fun really

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This would get super entertaining in further rounds. Collective intelligence can be shockingly bad. I can just see it: "There's a hall of fame goalie who won multiple cups or a center who scored 1400 points. No no, we want Cody Franson who always had great Corsi numbers or this fan favourite of our franchise..."

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Looks like Roy beats out Hull & Bourque by a single vote. On to the next team (probably with way less replies)

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Patrick Roy first choice. Marcel Dionne 2nd choice. I like the idea of build net out with a champion goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad