OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Calgary, you are now on the clock with the 15th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- Pavel Bure
15. Calgary Flames- On The Clock
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Oh man those are some millennial picks right there. Like Lindross?

Larry Robinson.

To be fair (even though I don't think he should be going that high. Nor should Bure for that matter), given rule number 5's meaning that he won't necessarily be Stevens'd to concussion city repeatedly, Lindros could turn out to be an absolute monster in todays NHL. That said, the 2 guys I'm really shocked have fallen this low are Ray Bourque and Mike Bossy

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
To be fair (even though I don't think he should be going that high. Nor should Bure for that matter), given rule number 5's meaning that he won't necessarily be Stevens'd to concussion city repeatedly, Lindros could turn out to be an absolute monster in todays NHL. That said, the 2 guys I'm really shocked have fallen this low are Ray Bourque and Mike Bossy

But Lindross over Crosby or Ovechkin or Kane or Richard or Harvey or the guys you listed. That’s painfully bad. Hell I think Scott Niedermeyer, Pat Roy and Martin Brodeur are way better from that generation alone.

I feel like 90s players get hype but current players don’t get the appreciation for how great they really are

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
But Lindross over Crosby or Ovechkin or Kane or Richard or Harvey or the guys you listed. That’s painfully bad. Hell I think Scott Niedermeyer, Pat Roy and Martin Brodeur are way better from that generation alone.

I feel like 90s players get hype but current players don’t get the appreciation for how great they really are

Current players also aren't eligible, per the bolded text in rule 2.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Current votes (will try to keep updated):

Iginla (1)- Anglesmith
Brett Hull (1)-Super6646
Robinson (1)- Tkachuk Norris
Bossy (1)- FLAMESFAN
Newsy Lalonde (1)- Fleury14

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Cutting off additions to the group here. Unless someone casts a deciding vote for one of the names already on the board by tomorrow morning, I'll probably call the vote there and decide who the pick is then. Of the names on the board, it'd probably be Bossy, as he's at worst the 2nd best goal-scoring winger of all time, behind only Ovi, and that's a maybe

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Sid is the easy choice if he was eligible. I think Dionne is the best choice. Or Bourque if you'd rather build back end.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I just went and checked- we were given Bossy in the end (I think that's not bad.)

x-x-Bossy

x-x

x

I look forward to this coming back around, wish it was faster so I could ease some boredom lol.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd go with either Bourque or Esposito. Gun to my head I'll build from the back end with Bourque. Lots of good centers in the second round if the all time list continues to that round.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
What's more important: Going for most talented period, or being loyal to past Flame greats?

I would love to get at least 1 of our F's....1 D....and any of our good goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad