OT: NHL All-Time Draft

In the NHL All Time Draft, who do you have the Canucks take?

• Total voters

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Ok, so there are now enough votes for me to start a poll, should you guys want one. Is that the case, or would you prefer to keep it in the current format instead?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Righto, Poll's up. Enjoy. I'll give 1-2 days before moving on to the next team. You only get one vote, so pick your top choice

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Just a bit of minor analysis b/c I feel like shooting the shit, but a player I'm shocked hasn't come up more often is Eddie Shore. 4x Hart Winner and was a finalist 4 other times. As a finalist, never finished below another defenseman, so one could assume he'd have won the Norris in those years if it had existed. Finished on the season ending All Star team 8 times, 7 of those on the first team. And he won 2 Cups

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Just a bit of minor analysis b/c I feel like shooting the shit, but a player I'm shocked hasn't come up more often is Eddie Shore. 4x Hart Winner and was a finalist 4 other times. As a finalist, never finished below another defenseman, so one could assume he'd have won the Norris in those years if it had existed. Finished on the season ending All Star team 8 times, 7 of those on the first team. And he won 2 Cups
Well, I included him in my HM’s. I think the reason is the average person hasn’t actually seen him play. The youngest you could be to have seen him play even an AHL game would be being born right at the height of WW2, and even then, you wouldn’t have been able to remember much. You’d have to be like 88 years old to be able to really remember watching him playing some games, and even then they most likely would have been AHL and IAHL games rather than NHL games.

I’m not sure we have many 88+ year olds posting here but if we do, I’d love to get a game analysis in comparison to an option like Ray Bourque, Doug Harvey or Denis Potvin.

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Well, I included him in my HM’s. I think the reason is the average person hasn’t actually seen him play. The youngest you could be to have seen him play even an AHL game would be being born right at the height of WW2, and even then, you wouldn’t have been able to remember much. You’d have to be like 88 years old to be able to really remember watching him playing some games, and even then they most likely would have been AHL and IAHL games rather than NHL games.

I’m not sure we have many 88+ year olds posting here but if we do, I’d love to get a game analysis in comparison to an option like Ray Bourque, Doug Harvey or Denis Potvin.

That's a valid point indeed. It's gonna be interesting to watch who falls through the cracks of this draft, and either drops like a rock or misses being drafted entirely

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Eddie Shore was also a complete and utter prick. Ended Apps career on a cheap shot, and told the wives of the players on his team to have less sex with the players, it was sapping there strength. There was something wrong with him.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Eddie Shore was also a complete and utter prick. Ended Apps career on a cheap shot, and told the wives of the players on his team to have less sex with the players, it was sapping there strength. There was something wrong with him.

I thought it was Ace Bailey he got? As for being a complete and utter prick to his players, didn't know that.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Eddie Shore ... told the wives of the players on his team to have less sex with the players, it was sapping there strength. There was something wrong with him.

This was a common sports maxum, especially in boxing. I believe that was a key scene in Raging Bull but I was a kid when I saw it. There's some truth to it if you consider when and why Mike Tyson started losing.

---

I vote for Cyclone Taylor. C'mon guys!

He is eligible isn't he? He did turn did down the Maple Leafs. That to me is a plus in my book.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Also, I hate to be that guy but no one's taken Maurice Richard or Bobby Hull yet. But I can imagine a world where Gordie and Maurice ( or maybe Eddie Shore and Ace Bailey) had his hockey card growing up and imagined himself as the "Cyclone" every time he skated out on the pond.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This was a common sports maxum, especially in boxing. I believe that was a key scene in Raging Bull but I was a kid when I saw it. There's some truth to it if you consider when and why Mike Tyson started losing.

---

I vote for Cyclone Taylor. C'mon guys!

He is eligible isn't he? He did turn did down the Maple Leafs. That to me is a plus in my book.

He is eligible, though admittedly I thought you were referring to Tiger Williams, and had to google who Taylor actually was

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My pick would probably be Patrick Roy.

Mostly regarded as top 2 goalie all time along with Hasek.

3 conn smythes in 3 decades.

I went with Roy as well. He and Hasek had the ability to carry his team to the Cup finals. Of course with a good team you can win Cups with Roy. Patrick Roy in his prime in the 1994 and 2011 Cup Finals would have put the Canucks over the top IMO.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I would go with one of Pronger, Borque, Fedorov, Forsberg, Yzerman or LaFleur here. I can't choose.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
If people want a great goalie then why not Gump Worsley instead of Roy? At least he played for the Canucks.

gump-worsley-canucks.jpg

Here he is playing against the NHL Rangers and we beat them 2-1 when we were only the farm team. Playing low to the ground, he was Hassek before Hassek.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad