OT: NHL All-Time Draft

In the NHL All Time Draft, who do you have the Canucks take?

• Total voters

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Vancouver, you are now on the clock with the 12th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- On the Clock
13. Nashville Predators-
14. Florida Panthers-
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-​

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Vote Raymond Bourque.

Was a hard decision between him and Bobby Hull for me, but due to the lust for a truly franchise defenseman in our history (which, imo, would have given us a cup or two by now), Bourque is the best choice at this spot in my opinion.

HM to Eddie Shore, Maurice Richard and Doug Harvey

Last edited:

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I think I’ll vote for Yzerman here, which is probably just recency bias, but I’ll jump at getting one of the best centres and captains of all time. Someone who also showed loyalty to the organization throughout his career so you don’t need to worry about him jumping ship in free agency.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think I’ll vote for Yzerman here, which is probably just recency bias, but I’ll jump at getting one of the best centres and captains of all time. Someone who also showed loyalty to the organization throughout his career so you don’t need to worry about him jumping ship in free agency.

For my money, Yzerman is the best captain of all time, not Messier. Yzerman joined a team in the absolute toilet and lead them back to respectability. He also helped his team through an incredibly difficult time after the limousine accident that permanently altered the life of teammate Vladimir Konstantinov.

I also think he got robbed of the Conn Smythe in 2002. He played on one leg that spring - his knee was just bone grinding on bone, and you could see the pain on his face every time he got knocked down and had to push himself back up.

Compare that to that chip eating bastard who played on teams stacked with Hall of Famers, if not with the best player of all time. I’d take Stevie Y.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vote Raymond Bourque.

Was a hard decision between him and Bobby Hull for me, but due to the lust for a truly franchise defenseman in our history (which, imo, would have given us a cup or two by now), Bourque is the best choice at this spot in my opinion.

HM to Eddie Shore, Maurice Richard and Doug Harvey

I second this. Go with Ray Bourque on this one for all of the reasons that have already been mentioned. Furthermore, right sided defenseman is often the toughest position to fill and so this would be my vote.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
For my money, Yzerman is the best captain of all time, not Messier. Yzerman joined a team in the absolute toilet and lead them back to respectability. He also helped his team through an incredibly difficult time after the limousine accident that permanently altered the life of teammate Vladimir Konstantinov.

I also think he got robbed of the Conn Smythe in 2002. He played on one leg that spring - his knee was just bone grinding on bone, and you could see the pain on his face every time he got knocked down and had to push himself back up.

Compare that to that chip eating bastard who played on teams stacked with Hall of Famers, if not with the best player of all time. I’d take Stevie Y.

I completely agree that Steve Yzerman is the greatest captain of all-time. I’d also put Scott Stevens ahead of Messier.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
I’d probably lean Crosby over Bourque—he’s the best center available and imo a #1 center is the most important position to build around. But can’t really go wrong with either. (My 3rd choice would probably be Denis Potvin. Not a huge fan of building a team around Bobby Hull.)

Last edited:

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I’d probably lean Crosby over Bourque—he’s the best center available and imo a #1 center is the most important position to build around. But can’t really go wrong with either. (My 3rd choice would probably be Denis Potvin. Not a huge fan of building a team around Bobby Hull.)
As per the thread rules it cannot be a current/active player.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
My pick would probably be Patrick Roy.

Mostly regarded as top 2 goalie all time along with Hasek.

3 conn smythes in 3 decades.

If we go D, I would go with Potvin over Bourque.

Reactions: F A N

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I'd for Steve Yzerman. Patrick Roy is a good option. Denis Potvin/Ray Bourque for defensemen. I wonder when Sergei Fedorov lands.

I’d personally go with Forsberg or Sakic over Fedorov if those players are available next round. Fedorov could have and should have been better than both those players, but he didn’t have anywhere near their compete level or heart which is really unfortunate.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I’d personally go with Forsberg or Sakic over Fedorov if those players are available next round. Fedorov could have and should have been better than both those players, but he didn’t have anywhere near their compete level or heart which is really unfortunate.

Completely forgot about Forsberg, just an absolute beast. I think you're selling Fedorov a little short, identical individual awards. Hart, Lester B., Selke vs. Hart, Calder, Art Ross. Pretty much ppg in the regular season and playoffs. He should of just retired earlier.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Completely forgot about Forsberg, just an absolute beast. I think you're selling Fedorov a little short, identical individual awards. Hart, Lester B., Selke vs. Hart, Calder, Art Ross. Pretty much ppg in the regular season and playoffs. He should of just retired earlier.

Don’t get me wrong - Fedorov was a great player and had a great career, but I just think he could have been so much more. THAT is how highly I thought of Fedorov with regards to his talent level. Talent wise, he blew Yzerman, Sakic, and Forsberg out of the waters in my opinion.

Reactions: VC

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

I'm only doing one round of this, otherwise it'll take months lol. Someone else can continue when I'm done

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
It's interesting to think of this from a standpoint of building an NHL team rather than simply picking the guy who had the best career. Like, there's no question that on career value Ray Bourque beats out Denis Potvin — Bourque's longevity and durability were just ridiculous.

But if you're thinking about the realities of building a modern-day NHL franchise, with how contracts work, maybe it's better to take Potvin. He was a franchise player from day one who pretty much transformed the Islanders from bottom feeder to contender overnight in his first three years.

Bourque was obviously an elite defenseman from day one but he had the advantage of slotting into a powerhouse team right away and getting mentored by an all-time great in Brad Park.

And Potvin hits his peak, which was probably a bit better than Bourque's peak, in those first 7 years before hitting UFA eligibility. Bourque's absolute peak seasons, by contrast, come later in his career, after what would now be considered his UFA years.

Also, Potvin probably could've had a longer career if he was playing in today's NHL, assuming we adjusted for level of play — he retired at 33 while he was still a top-tier defenseman, but mainly because he had nothing left to play for, the Isles were on the downswing, and he wasn't leaving nearly as much money on the table as he'd be giving up today by retiring early. He certainly had a few more years left in the tank.

For that matter, with Yzerman you're getting an all-time great offensive center for the first 13 or so years of his career but *not* Yzerman the legendary captain or Yzerman the Selke winner. Then again, it's a bit hard to know to what extent he matured into those roles or to what extent it was partly a function of the game changing (most offensive centers in the '80s weren't that great defensively) and the team around him getting better.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yzerman, Bourque, Potvin, Roy or Foppa - in every case we would still be getting a better player than we have ever had in our franchise history. Wondering when the first Canuck (Bure probably, as you can't take both Sedins) would be taken?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yzerman, Bourque, Potvin, Roy or Foppa - in every case we would still be getting a better player than we have ever had in our franchise history. Wondering when the first Canuck (Bure probably, as you can't take both Sedins) would be taken?

Our first Canuck was already taken........Messier!

Reactions: UnSandvich

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
It is too bad that doing a full draft of team building would take way too long. It is slightly different then just the all-time great lists. Like when do some of the great wingers go like Pavel Bure, Alexander Mogliny, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne go, of course the Sedins aswell. Don't know where he ranks all time but Sergei Zubov really was everything you wanted in a defensemen and should be up there with the greats.

Our first Canuck was already taken........Messier!

Boo this man!

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
It is too bad that doing a full draft of team building would take way too long. It is slightly different then just the all-time great lists. Like when do some of the great wingers go like Pavel Bure, Alexander Mogliny, Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne go, of course the Sedins aswell. Don't know where he ranks all time but Sergei Zubov really was everything you wanted in a defensemen and should be up there with the greats.

Boo this man!

boo.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->