OT: NHL All-Time Draft

In the NHL-ALL Time Draft, who do you have the Coyotes take?

• Total voters

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Bonus points for explaining how this might affect the team's present and future, though this is by no means obligatory.

Arizona, you are now on the clock with the 10th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- On the Clock
11. Minnesota Wild-
12. Vancouver Canucks-
13. Nashville Predators-
14. Florida Panthers-
15. Calgary Flames-
16. New York Rangers-
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hello from the NYR Boards. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. Bonus points for explaining how this might affect the team's present and future, though this is by no means obligatory.

Arizona, you are now on the clock with the 10th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

Should I be seeing a poll, or do we create our own?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Should I be seeing a poll, or do we create our own?

Some forums needed polls, some did not. In cases where people have asked for one, I've given 24 hours minimum before setting one up, to allow people to actually submit their choices. I don't want to prematurely restrict the pool of available players

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Top undrafted career goals - Brett Hull
Top undrafted career points - Ron Francis
Best defenseman left - Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, Phil Housley :dunno:

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
What about Eric Lindros?

Big C who did everything albeit shorter career due to injuries, but early in career when healthy, the guy was dominant.

Of course, I could also get behind Francis or Coffey

Reactions: MIG

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Steve Yzerman, he could walk the streets and not be bothered.
Bobby Hull, would sell the game.
Cam Neely, fight and score 50.
Mike Bossy, in this No Hit League he would win goal scoring title every year.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Fun idea
My vote easily goes to one one of Sakic, Yzerman, Dionne or Bossy under these rules

Vote goes Bossy

Last edited:

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Second thought after looking at the rules more closely, specifically 3 and 5

This in my opinion almost has to be Mike Bossy. Guy was a absolute warrior in both regular season and playoffs. With modern day medicine i wouldn't be as worried about his back problems ending his career so suddenly at the age of 29 (so the team still gets at least 10 seasons of Bossy)... also has the best goal per game in NHL history. Of all the players left he also has the highest points per game as well (3rd highest in NHL history).

So i vote Bossy

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Love me some Bourque, but with our franchise history of NEVER getting a damn 1C, I'm gonna say Yzerman. Sakic is a close 2nd. Lindros was amazing, but he's gonna get Stevensed in this scenario still, so I'll pass on him.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Love me some Bourque, but with our franchise history of NEVER getting a damn 1C, I'm gonna say Yzerman. Sakic is a close 2nd. Lindros was amazing, but he's gonna get Stevensed in this scenario still, so I'll pass on him.

Minor point, but as per point 5, it's not guaranteed that he'll have concussion issues in this "alternate timeline" for lack of a better word. Don't let injuries that occurred during a player's career dissuade you from picking a player you think would be a good fit

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you, and you're saying b/c of his style of play it's likely that he'll be hit like that again.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Is this just a normal 7 round draft or will there be a full team drafted?
Because giving each fanbase a full day to draft makes each round last a month.

On the bright side if it's a full team draft and it takes 2 years to do we might be able to get Joe Thornton in the later rounds haha

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Minor point, but as per point 5, it's not guaranteed that he'll have concussion issues in this "alternate timeline" for lack of a better word. Don't let injuries that occurred during a player's career dissuade you from picking a player you think would be a good fit

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding you, and you're saying b/c of his style of play it's likely that he'll be hit like that again.

I totally misread that part, change my vote to the Big E!

Not if we make sure to draft Stevens haha
Sounds good to me, no way we'd lack push back with those 2 as our 1C and 1D.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think we need a poll. Here's who has been mentioned so far:

Brett Hull
Bobby Hull
Ron Francis
Ray Bourque
Paul Coffey
Eric Lindros
Steve Yzerman
Cam Neely
Mike Bossy
Joe Sakic
Marcel Dionne

Any other names to add?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yzerman, Sakic, or Francis. Not sure I'd count the Cups against Ronny Franchise, given that they'll have whole different teams. But if injuries aren't an issue, Lindros becomes suddenly extremely enticing. Honestly, if injuries aren't a thing, and the league will be "modern", if I had the 1st and 2nd picks in the draft, I might be tempted to go Lindros and Pronger, first and second. These guys are unstoppable forces. Absolute bullies.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Bullies will be available throughout the entire draft.. Stevens, Hunter, Tocchet, Chelios, Blake, Tkachuk.. Even MacInnis, Theo Fleury, Shanahan and Ted Lindsey had mean streaks... Personally don't think making that a focus in the first round is wise. Especially when you're at the 10th pick and the the 3rd best scoring forward (best goal scorer) in NHL history is available.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Is this just a normal 7 round draft or will there be a full team drafted?
Because giving each fanbase a full day to draft makes each round last a month.

On the bright side if it's a full team draft and it takes 2 years to do we might be able to get Joe Thornton in the later rounds haha

Whoops, didn't see this. I'm just doing a single round, but someone else is welcome to pick up the concept and keep it going after.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Rocket Richard seems nice. Winger, but hey. Or we could pull a Chayka, and go off the board. As with Richards centre if you want a centre, Elmer Lach. Injury prone, but that doesn't count as much here.

Actually, I don't think this is poll-material, to complicated and to few voters.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
This situation offers severe paralysis by analysis to me... So many good options it's hard to pick.

Do I go the Coyotes route and draft Daigle? Heard he's supposed to be good :).

For real though, Lindros is interesting if no injuries. And Bossy I couldn't argue with either. Dang, Yzerman too.... I just don't know.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
This situation offers severe paralysis by analysis to me... So many good options it's hard to pick.

Do I go the Coyotes route and draft Daigle? Heard he's supposed to be good :).

For real though, Lindros is interesting if no injuries. And Bossy I couldn't argue with either. Dang, Yzerman too.... I just don't know.

The bolded is why I was interested in doing this. It's fascinating to watch fanbases go back and forth about which past player would be the best choice. (I for one am hoping Forsberg, Harvey, or Shore make it to the Rangers. Not Clarke though, he's a shitty person and I don't want him on my team lol)

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->