GDT: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Who else here is 40+ and remembers NHLers looking like men?

I'm 41 and still don't look like a man. I'm kinda glad these 20 year olds look like kids and not a bunch of John Wayne's, for personal reasons.

I liked the skills comp this year quite a bit and thought St Louis put on a great well thought out show for the home crowd.

NHL just needs to think a little harder about a few things, lighten up etc.

I had it PVR'd though, so can't lie, I fast forwarded a lot of stuff.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I’m trying not to harp on people, but what the f*** was Auston Matthews wearing, and why did he think that was a good idea? Did he honestly look into the mirror and think “Sicccck, this looks great” - Christ almighty, that was a travesty.

Reactions: ovythegiraffe

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That Barzal lap was the fastest anyone has ever done it. .003 from that infamous running start time of Larkin. I think we finally have someone officially faster than Mike Gartner. Beat all of McDavid's times ever, as well.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’m trying not to harp on people, but what the **** was Auston Matthews wearing, and why did he think that was a good idea? Did he honestly look into the mirror and think “Sicccck, this looks great” - Christ almighty, that was a travesty.
Hey guys, I found someone who has no idea who Ron Burgundy is.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Looked young? I thought Brett Hull was his old man.

Honestly though, the old timers were the highlight of the skills competition for me - except the Women's game who looked like they were actually trying.

Is the hardest shot gamed now? I only saw one shot < 100mph this year. MacInnis shot alone could have won it other years.

I was hoping to see Hughes in the skill skating competition. There wasn't one.

Are they going to change the nets to LED TV's now?

I hope to God the tone down on all the graphics tomorrow. This was nuts.
You can tell with the naked eye when a shot is over 100MPH? That’s quite the talent.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Some people are just miserable. They go in knowing they are going to hate it just to complain about it later. It's sad.

Ive seen far too many comments like “I only have it on in the background” and then they follow that quote up with a detailed analysis of everything that went on tonight and what was stupid and what was corny and what was pointless.

Really makes you think.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
That Barzal lap was the fastest anyone has ever done it. .003 from that infamous running start time of Larkin. I think we finally have someone officially faster than Mike Gartner. Beat all of McDavid's times ever, as well.

I remember so many people on here said Barzal couldnt skate well when drafted lol. His prospect thread was so entertaining to read cause it was obvious who had never seen him play

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I can't believe no attention has been brought to Elias Petterson shooting a number higher than his weight.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it was one of the better events.

The skating and hardest shot competitions were probably the most entertaining iterations of those events I've seen in years, if not ever TBH.

The save streak thing was pretty good, Vas and Binnington REALLY upped their game and made it entertaining at the end. The Markstrom F-bomb was absolutely hilarious as well. He was just ignoring Bieksa's questions and then just lets it out after getting scored on. Absolute gold.

The accuracy was a bit of a dud, it's usually one of the better events but I just don't think the changes they made along with the competition were the best this year. Like, how in the world does Pastrnak not compete in it again when he won it last year? Makes no sense.

The women's game was pretty good, and broke up the night nicely.

The full ice target shooting thing was a disaster, I have no idea what they were thinking. That was bound to suck from the start. Was way too long and such a weird decision to end the night on.

Keep that format but ditch the full ice target shooting and we're good.

Reactions: Canadienna

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Not hearing anything about what is happening outside the arena for the fans during this ASG. What's the atmosphere like in StL for those that traveled to soak it up? Is there a downtown district or area close to the rink that is all set up with NHL experiences and stuff?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

Don't know why you would trun into a condensending Tkachuk over that comment, there was nothing offensive in it, nor was there excuses for McD losing.

Every team does a skills comp, I really want to see the actual best at each event reguardless if they are all stars or not. Technically the guy that wins say hardest shot does not exactly have the hardest shot in the nhl he would have the hardest shot at the all star game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad