GDT: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Real hockey things require a potential for injuries.

You won't get them.

another reason why a complete gong show might actually be better. Have NHLers play NHL ‘20.. but they play as guys on the other team, and one on each side is blindfolded. Watch chaos ensue. Have the “totally not Kessel related” hot dog eating competition, Ovi might actually show up for that.

Reactions: RedMenace

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
you joke, but I wouldn’t mind if the NHL just went full gong show at this point. One way or the other- tighten up production and simplify/cut down the whole thing or just turn it into a spectacle.

From all things in the past, the things I like best:

- hardest shot

- accuracy shooting

- accuracy passing (the small little nets, looked super tough)

- puck control relay

I think the goalie drills are the hardest to come up with. Maybe come up with 3 or 5 position shooting on the goaltender from the slot. Something like that. Then I guess a breakaway type thing. Actually tonight's was kind of interesting, maybe because Binnington won.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
From all things in the past, the things I like best:

- hardest shot

- accuracy shooting

- accuracy passing (the small little nets, looked super tough)

- puck control relay

I think the goalie drills are the hardest to come up with. Maybe come up with 3 or 5 position shooting on the goaltender from the slot. Something like that. Then I guess a breakaway type thing. Actually tonight's was kind of interesting, maybe because Binnington won.

I agree on hardest shot and shot accuracy, I’d change the passing challenge a bit- make it like a 2 on 1 situation with a moving gap, it wouldn’t be too tough to manage (for anyone other than the NHL). As to goalies, eh, I just don’t see why we need to showcase ‘em. If it doesn’t translate it doesn’t translate, and that seems to be the case with goalies.

the one real competition Id add would be a shootout competition similar to the NBA’s dunk contest. Shot has to be on net, but if the goalie saves it it’s fine- just give scores outta 10 on how cool the move is and how likely it’d be to work in a game.

Reactions: LokiDog

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I agree on hardest shot and shot accuracy, I’d change the passing challenge a bit- make it like a 2 on 1 situation with a moving gap, it wouldn’t be too tough to manage (for anyone other than the NHL). As to goalies, eh, I just don’t see why we need to showcase ‘em. If it doesn’t translate it doesn’t translate, and that seems to be the case with goalies.

the one real competition Id add would be a shootout competition similar to the NBA’s dunk contest. Shot has to be on net, but if the goalie saves it it’s fine- just give scores outta 10 on how cool the move is and how likely it’d be to work in a game.

I think the passing one could be tweaked, but honestly the competition of that one was extremely good and genuinely difficult while showcasing the deadly accuracy of the stars. But again, some tweaking perhaps.

And I think there does need to be goaltending one.

I actually think the intent of all the skills should be to sell the game, which means to me that each skill should make the players look otherworldly. If they don't, tweak the event. I think this is the subtle sales point.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I think the passing one could be tweaked, but honestly the competition of that one was extremely good and genuinely difficult while showcasing the deadly accuracy of the stars. But again, some tweaking perhaps.

And I think there does need to be goaltending one.

I actually think the intent of all the skills should be to sell the game, which means to me that each skill should make the players look otherworldly. If they don't, tweak the event. I think this is the subtle sales point.

basically agreed, but that’s why I don’t like the goalie thing- they keep trying different things to make ‘em look good, and it just seems to turn into a boring slog no matter what. Hmm.. maybe 2 shooters who pass back and forth? Get the goalie moving side to side so you can get some sick saves? We’re largely on the same page I think, but the NHL keeps trying to make it happen and after it fails in enough formats.. maybe just stop trying to make it happen and just give an award for “save of the season so far” or something.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
basically agreed, but that’s why I don’t like the goalie thing- they keep trying different things to make ‘em look good, and it just seems to turn into a boring slog no matter what. Hmm.. maybe 2 shooters who pass back and forth? Get the goalie moving side to side so you can get some sick saves? We’re largely on the same page I think, but the NHL keeps trying to make it happen and after it fails in enough formats.. maybe just stop trying to make it happen and just give an award for “save of the season so far” or something.

I too think we're on the same page basically. I just think without at least one goalie competition it would be a glaring ommition when in reality our goaltenders are extremely skilled at what they do. So my point is I'm pretty sure something could take place to showcase them. Actually outside of the lacklustre shooters, I liked the event tonight more or less.

Reactions: IlikeEich

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Jeez. Even every NHL Gaurdian thinks the digital shooting targets were the dumbest idea in NHL history.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The NHL needs to do a better job explaining how these events work. The Shooting Stars competition was confusing as hell, especially since there is no reason to go for anything but the 10 points. How did the scoring of this event work? If you hit the base of the thing it's no points but if you hit on the thing it's whatever points? I like the idea of it, but can we please get more excitement to it? Move the 10 points to the goal or something. Use puck tracking to see if it actually hit something or not? We have this technology, use it.

Speaking of technology, I think it ruined the accuracy shootout. One of my favorite things was watching the discs basically explode. They have this digital thing and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. There were a few times when Hertl did actually hit the top right corner target and it didn't work. At least with something physically there you have proof of impact.

The Hardest shot was pretty good but the announcers just showed zero interest. You have these hard shots and it's like, oh ok.

Bring back the races. Bring back the goalie skating around the ice. Bring back USA vs. The World and make it a competition. This event was a snooze fest. The only event I liked was the Womens game and I started losing interest in that in the second half. Last year what Kendall did was an outlier. In a few years the honeymoon period for women participating in this event will wear out and they will even get bored.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It finished a while ago. They're airing the McDavid rehab story. Amazing watch. So much appreciation for this kid. What he had to endure and go through at 22. Never injured lower body ever before. Everyone came together to get the best player in the world fixed.

I wish it was available in the US. They were talking about it on 31 Thoughts yesterday and it seemed really interesting. Unfortunately I don't get NHL Network and NBCSN, the home of Hockey in America, needed to show European skating.

Reactions: MattySnipes

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I wish it was available in the US. They were talking about it on 31 Thoughts yesterday and it seemed really interesting. Unfortunately I don't get NHL Network and NBCSN, the home of Hockey in America, needed to show European skating.
It'll be on Youtube eventually.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Maybe they looked like men because you were young. Now they look like kids because you’re old bud.

Looked young? I thought Brett Hull was his old man.

Honestly though, the old timers were the highlight of the skills competition for me - except the Women's game who looked like they were actually trying.

Is the hardest shot gamed now? I only saw one shot < 100mph this year. MacInnis shot alone could have won it other years.

I was hoping to see Hughes in the skill skating competition. There wasn't one.

Are they going to change the nets to LED TV's now?

I hope to God the tone down on all the graphics tomorrow. This was nuts.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
This thing was way too long, I kept wishing for Mud Bruneteau to score so everyone could just go home. I'm not sure having the women at the allstar game is to anyone's benefit but the handful of women who are assburnt because they need to get real jobs instead of playing hockey for a living. Join the club ladies, its a big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->