GDT: NHL All-Star Game - January 28th - 3:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The 3 on 3 is much better to watch than the old 5 on 5.

I just dont think an all-start game is overly fun to watch unless you're a kid.

Reactions: thegr8one66

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I never said that. One of the greatest musicians I've ever personally seen will never be known by anybody because he decided not to pursue his passion as a career. You're losing track or who is who in this crusade in futility here.

so what is your beef then ? I got pulled into this when someone said ( literally) " but you have to admit that he is a good vocalist" and I responded, no no I do not. Despite people characterizing me as being on a high horse or trying to force my aesthtic values on others, i have consistently said one thing and one thing only: that kid rock is NOT a good vocalist. It then degenerated when people started invoking his album and concert sales which does not affect my original premise, he's still NOT a good vocalist even if he has a modicum of popularity. if you like him, fine by me. you might find him inspiring or entertaining. great for you. that doesnt change the fact that that skinny screaming lil toby keith isnt by any objective measure a good vocalist. bob dylan and neil young are both fine musicians, as vocalists they both suck.

Then when the offended, asked, well if he's not a good vocalist who do you consider to be one to which I responded Allison Krauss, which the phillistines denouced because it didnt have the gravitas of "Bawwitaba" or the lyrical flow of " i wanna be a cowboy baby" so they called her an unknown band. I have absolutely ZERO problems saying, then now or till the ends of time, that as a vocalist, krauss runs circles around ritchie. multiple cirlces. Big looping circles. they are not in the same class as VOCALISTS.

if you enjoy him, great. lots of people like all kinds of hacks for tons of different reasons. that doesnt now make them any less of a hack.

That clear it up, chief ?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
so what is your beef then ? I got pulled into this when someone said ( literally) " but you have to admit that he is a good vocalist" and I responded, no no I do not. Despite people characterizing me as being on a high horse or trying to force my aesthtic values on others, i have consistently said one thing and one thing only: that kid rock is NOT a good vocalist. It then degenerated when people started invoking his album and concert sales which does not affect my original premise, he's still NOT a good vocalist even if he has a modicum of popularity. if you like him, fine by me. you might find him inspiring or entertaining. great for you. that doesnt change the fact that that skinny screaming lil toby keith isnt by any objective measure a good vocalist. bob dylan and neil young are both fine musicians, as vocalists they both suck.

Then when the offended, asked, well if he's not a good vocalist who do you consider to be one to which I responded Allison Krauss, which the phillistines denouced because it didnt have the gravitas of "Bawwitaba" or the lyrical flow of " i wanna be a cowboy baby" so they called her an unknown band. I have absolutely ZERO problems saying, then now or till the ends of time, that as a vocalist, krauss runs circles around ritchie. multiple cirlces. Big looping circles. they are not in the same class as VOCALISTS.

if you enjoy him, great. lots of people like all kinds of hacks for tons of different reasons. that doesnt now make them any less of a hack.

All I gave a damn about at any point was the fact that you even mentioned the Grammys as any sort of argument. I've stuck around because in a sick way it's fun to watch your devotion to making these points. Kid Rock has been off the stage for hours, most people have already flushed him out of their mind yet you're hell bent on exposing him as a hack. If some people enjoy him, or enjoyed his performance last night, does it really f***ing matter? Music is subjective. A lot of people I know think My Bloody Valentine are musical geniuses and when I gave them a try it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. It really...REALLY shouldn't bother you this much. I don't need anything cleared up, Captain, you've been plenty clear.

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
What is wrong with the classic 5 on 5 west vs east ?

and anyone besides me that hate that overhead moving camera ? :whaaa?:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
My god it’s time the ASG was put out to pasture. Maybe it’s because I come from a different sporting culture that’s never embraced this circle jerk, but all I’ve seen over ten years has been a pointless waste of time in which the only people that care about it less than the fans are the players.

They really decided this was more worthwhile than the Olympics?
I guess it's a good thing no one is forcing you to watch it then...

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

So I guess we can all heap praise on Beyonce as the second best vocalist of all time, I mean she only has a handful less Grammy's! In less than half the time!!

How about this.....let's compare Kid Rock's vocal chops to his peers. Grade him on the curve. Hell, grade him on the curve in his genre of music. If you did that you might be able to accept that he isn't so bad.

IT would be like grading Krauss (who I'm actually a fan of) to Maria Callas and me saying Krauss' vocals aren't close!

As I've said over and over, you don't get to impart absolutes when it comes to music, or food, they are subjective in nature.

Take me......I'm the biggest foodie I know. I've been a passionate "home" cook for the better part of 25 years. I spend ridiculous amount of money travelling the world tasting regional foods. Yet, every now and then I need a box of Kraft Dinner. Hell, it would probably be my "last meal".

And for you to mention Bob Dylan, Neil Young....I'll add Leonard Cohen and Mark Knoppler and claim they are not vocalists is just crazy. They are vocalists of a different genre of music.

But hey......you may look at a singer and judge them by their vocal ability and not their musical ability. I said Kid Rock was an honest musician.....that was actually my ex-wifes description of him. He never uses autotune, like the vast majority of his contemporaries, he plays countless instruments, and he writes his own stuff. He is what he is, an entertainer. Sorry you feel that makes him a hack. I guess because Dylan doesn't have the chops the Krauss has he is a sub par musician.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
So I guess we can all heap praise on Beyonce as the second best vocalist of all time, I mean she only has a handful less Grammy's! In less than half the time!!

How about this.....let's compare Kid Rock's vocal chops to his peers. Grade him on the curve. Hell, grade him on the curve in his genre of music. If you did that you might be able to accept that he isn't so bad.

IT would be like grading Krauss (who I'm actually a fan of) to Maria Callas and me saying Krauss' vocals aren't close!

As I've said over and over, you don't get to impart absolutes when it comes to music, or food, they are subjective in nature.

Take me......I'm the biggest foodie I know. I've been a passionate "home" cook for the better part of 25 years. I spend ridiculous amount of money travelling the world tasting regional foods. Yet, every now and then I need a box of Kraft Dinner. Hell, it would probably be my "last meal".

And for you to mention Bob Dylan, Neil Young....I'll add Leonard Cohen and Mark Knoppler and claim they are not vocalists is just crazy. They are vocalists of a different genre of music.

But hey......you may look at a singer and judge them by their vocal ability and not their musical ability. I said Kid Rock was an honest musician.....that was actually my ex-wifes description of him. He never uses autotune, like the vast majority of his contemporaries, he plays countless instruments, and he writes his own stuff. He is what he is, an entertainer. Sorry you feel that makes him a hack. I guess because Dylan doesn't have the chops the Krauss has he is a sub par musician.

so if you have to fundamentally misrepresent my position, what does that say about your arguments?

bob dylan ( and neil young) are both fantastic musicians and song writers. They are still BOTH substandard vocalists. I am beginning you don't understand the meaning of the word and are willing to just assume musician/entertainer/singer/popular all mean more or less the same thing.

What is bob dylan's range ? how well can he carry a note ? The answer, limited and not very well. The converse is also true that there are some great vocalists who can sing the doors off a car who suck as entertainers. you know why ? because they are not synonymous.

if everything is subjective then I proclaim you really have a great deep and thorough understanding of the topic, which mwans you are almost certainly a graduate of the shaquille oneal school of enunciation.

And good job at telling everyone how well you cook. And seeing as the specific example of " wanting a kraft dinner" is exactly the same argument I previously made with big macs, I ask again can you please stop stealing my arguments and then trying to pass them off as your own ?

You can crave kraft dinner, you can love craft dinner. As a self professed " foodie" any mac and cheeze that has to be reconstituted from process powered cheese, is probably NOT the best mac anyone has EVER tasted, unless its the only one they ever tasted. does that mean you can't like it ? NO. like what you want. hell if you like reconstituted cheeze powder, more powert to you. Ask your foodie friends whether this makes it good. go ahead.

and grading him based on his peers, who would that be ? he might be a better singer than toby keith as they share the same schtick, but that's not a ringing endorsement. And if his peers also all are substandard vocalists he would have the crown of being the best out of a class or poor. Again that no feather in his cap.

Go back and look at what I said which is that I can disagree with the notion that he's a good vocalist ( something you inherently seem to accept) . if true, again I ask what's your beef ? that he's good enough even with his limitations ?

Last edited:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Why is that the stock response? Can't we criticise something? It affects something we love, your comment is asinine.
Asinine? Whatever you say. This is an event for children. Have fun continuing to pay attention to something that outrages you. How 2018 of you

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Asinine? Whatever you say. This is an event for children. Have fun continuing to pay attention to something that outrages you. How 2018 of you

What an odd reaction. Obviously it’s not something that interests me or holds my attention. That’s precisely my point, and I don’t want the season interrupted by it. Nobody seems to care except NBC and you.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
What an odd reaction. Obviously it’s not something that interests me or holds my attention. That’s precisely my point, and I don’t want the season interrupted by it. Nobody seems to care except NBC and you.
Odd reaction? Why? Because I don't waste my time complaining about an event that is clearly marketed towards children? Also dont project feelings onto me, You have no clue how I feel about the all star game... my entire point has been: why complain about something you know you don't like & aren't forced to watch?

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Point was second fastest.

If eichel can keep his head in the game and stay away from floating he could challenge McDavid in points this year, but that's a big if. He's shown progress there but I'm going to withhold judgement until I see it over a full season.

He hasn’t take. A shift off in the last 27 games so it’s safe to say he’s playing he right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->