NHL All-Decade First & Second Teams

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not sure Fleury deserves to be on the 2nd team, let alone 1st. Lundqvist probably deserves #1. Quick and Price are better picks for #2 than Fleury imo. Hell, even Luongo.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Did the Vegas cup run really change the perception of Fleury that much? Average regular season numbers and constant postseason choking such as getting benched in favor of a rookie or a retiring Vokoun.

I really don't get his popularity, he used to be the most laughed at goalie up until joining Vegas. That 2013 series agaisnt the Isles disqualifies him from any all decade list, he's not top 10 let alone 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight and Hivemind

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Did the Vegas cup run really change the perception of Fleury that much? Average regular season numbers and constant postseason choking such as getting benched in favor of a rookie or a retiring Vokoun.

I really don't get his popularity, he used to be the most laughed at goalies up until joining Vegas. That 2013 series agaisnt the Isles disqualifies him from any all decade list, he's not top 10 let alone 1st.

Great guy in the dressing room aka intangibles.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Team is fine outside of in net, Lundqvist was absolutely robbed and I'm someone that values Fleury higher than most. His advanced stats in net are incomparable amongst his peers. He's been objectively the best overall goaltender of the 2010's

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Mine:

1st Team
F-Crosby
F-Ovechkin
F-Malkin
D-Doughty
D-Keith
G-Quick

2nd Team
F-Kane
F-Bergeron
F-Kopitar
D-Karlsson
D-Burns
G-Price

3rd Team
F-Toews
F-Stamkos
F-Giroux
D-Hedman
D-Chara
G-Lundqvist

-No distinction for positions by forward.
-All players are listed in order (Crosby is #1 forward, Giroux is #9)
-Only NHL (regular season and playoffs) stuff is accounted for.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: Dabruins and Regal

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When he was taken 1st OA the team was not in good shape. I know Crosby and Malkin were big parts of that too but Fleury was the guy at first and he was the backbone of the cup.

He was 1 lucky save away from not winning the cup..... it was a good save but to say he was the backbone is just plain wrong. Hell, he was significantly better in the playoffs the year before.

Malkin not being on the first team is a joke. Absolutely deserves to be in over Kane, even if one of his Art Ross trophies was in 2009. Still has a better PPG over the decade than Kane, and more impressive playoff play.

Fleury there makes this team selection even worse.

For one, they stuck with positions so no room for Geno on the first team.

Kane also has more top 10 finishes in goals & points, three good finals runs vs 2 and has the same number of scoring titles & Harts. They both peaked at 28 points in a single playoffs but Kanes next two cup runs beat Malkins other one.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yikesss. Dude gave everything he had for you guys and won you your first cup in decades and arguably saved your franchise and this is how you act?

Penguins 3rd Cup (first with Fleury) wasn't last decade. It's irrelevant to the all-star teams of the past decade.

The Penguins did not have a drought that was "decades" long. It was 17 years, which really isn't that long of a drought tbh (I'm sure as a Leafs fan you're well aware of this).

Reactions: Voight

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Decent list but Fleury on the 1st team is so weird.

It’s arguable he’s top 5 IMO. Lundqvist is #1 for me and you could make a case for Price, Rask, Holtby and Rinne ahead of Fleury.

The guy lost his starting job multiple teams when it was crunch time and never even won a Vezina.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There are players listed as top 100 all time that played in this decade and didn't make the decade team. Both lists by NHL

Toews is the only one whose peak was in the decade though. Datsyuk's was just before and Jagr's was well before. And I think Toews' career is being reevaluated as it's distanced from the cup wins. I'm assuming it's also different voters.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Decent list but Fleury on the 1st team is so weird.

It’s arguable he’s top 5 IMO. Lundqvist is #1 for me and you could make a case for Price, Rask, Holtby and Rinne ahead of Fleury.

The guy lost his starting job multiple teams when it was crunch time and never even won a Vezina.

Was never even nominated as a matter of fact

Reactions: The Sweetness

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Quick

2x Jennings
2x Cups
1x Conn Smythe where he single handedly won them a cup with .946SV% and 1.41GA over 20 games

6 out of 10 years under 2.26GGA

Looks like a pretty good decade to me

Reactions: The Sweetness

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Malkin not being on the first team is a joke. Absolutely deserves to be in over Kane, even if one of his Art Ross trophies was in 2009. Still has a better PPG over the decade than Kane, and more impressive playoff play.

Better PPG, Cup clinching goals, WCF clinching goal, 2nd round clinching goals, Conn smythe, playoff hat tricks, what has Malkin done in the playoffs more impressive over that span. Go ahead name it. Malkin hasnt been better than Kane since 2012

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I definitely wouldnt have batted an eye if Malkin was ahead of Kane but I do think Kane deserves it a bit more. Points per game is really close but the total points isnt, advantage Kane. Individual hardware has Kane with the edge by one Conn Smythe. Kanes Conn Smythe makes it really hard to argue Malkin has a more impressive playoff resume as well. Just looking at playoff points per game might have Malkin with the edge but Kane has a Smythe, a cup winning goal and might have been the most clutc player of the decade. I remember a few years ago seeing his game 7 numbers being talked about and they were absolutely ridiculous. Dont see Malkins playoffs as more impressive at all.

So its pretty close but I would say the Smythe puts Kane over the top on Malkin.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sure Fleury had some crap playoffs but lets not forget those "almost nominated for Vezina" regular seasons and the Gold medal he won in the 2010 Olympics, where he would have seen playing time if needed.

Seriously, was he ever Canada's best goalie?

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
He was 1 lucky save away from not winning the cup..... it was a good save but to say he was the backbone is just plain wrong. Hell, he was significantly better in the playoffs the year before.

For one, they stuck with positions so no room for Geno on the first team.

Kane also has more top 10 finishes in goals & points, three good finals runs vs 2 and has the same number of scoring titles & Harts. They both peaked at 28 points in a single playoffs but Kanes next two cup runs beat Malkins other one.

And that's why him and Stamkos are used as wingers in that 2nd team, right?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
source.gif

LolOfYQ.gif

fleury.gif

First team material right here.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The funny part is that this is clearly about cups, but the two cups MAF won last decade he was a backup. He filled in admirably for Murray in 2017, but he still lost his job to a rookie the year before and rode the pine for the playoffs and won a cup on the bench and then won another on the bench giving the net right back to Murray once he came back from injury.

Compare Lundqvist's playoff stats in the decade to Fleury's, do the cups that were won as a backup really matter? If Lundqvist got traded tomorrow and won a cup with like Colorado on the bench behing Grubauer, would that change his legacy?

From 2010-current in the playoffs:

Lundqvist: 47-49 2.16 GAA .926SV%

Fleury: 40-38 2.64 GAA .911SV%

Hell, the time Fleury won the cup as a starter (2009) he was a2.61 GAA and .908 SV% goalie in those playoffs. That's insane, Lundqvist would've never won a round on the Rangers teams he carried let alone won the Cup with numbers like that.

All those years the Rangers had "great teams" you say? The great teams that averaged 2.2 goals per game scored in the playoffs from 2012-2017, the Rangers contention window? Talk about no margin for error for your goalie.

Ryan McDonagh was the Rangers' leading scorer in their cup run in 2014 with 17 points in 24 games. That's the leading scorer in their best playoff season. Lundqvist was 2.14 and .927 in those playoffs, back to back 2-1 game 7 victories in the first 2 rounds coming back from 3-1 down vs Pitt in round 2. Shutout in game 6 vs Montreal to win the conference. Lost 3 games in the Final in OT.

I really don't understand how people look back and say "well Lundqvist played on stacked Rangers teams for a while" maybe they just didn't pay attention that closely or it's just selective memory. As if the leading scorer on 2013-14 cup team in the regular season wasn't Zuccarello with 59 points. Or even when they won the President's trophy in 2015, the leading scorer was Nash with 69 points.

This is a team that over the last 15 years had no business ever being as good as they were or going as deep as they did and they only did because Lundqvist dragged them as far as he possibly could. His elimination game stats and Game 7 stats are absurd. He played on teams with weak offenses, let alone TWO generational talents like Crosby or Malkin.

Fleury, good guy everyone likes him and he's Canadian. All that working in his favor. Truth is, he was a talented goalie who when he was hot was amazing but the sum of his parts was a league average, slightly above league average goalie who was lucky to be on the teams he was on.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
These idiots are going to vote Fleury into the HHoF...

Luckily, the writers have 0 say unlike in baseball. Otherwise, you'd be 100% correct.

Mind you the selection committee has inducted Andreychuk, Dick Duff, Dino Ciccarelli and Phil Housley over the years so anything is possible..... :shakehead

The one thing that gives me hope is that they are already notoriously stingy when it comes to goalies and from MAF"s era you have multiple guys who were better.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad