NHL All-Decade First & Second Teams

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
So the NHL doesn’t include Toews in the all decade team but he makes the top 100??? Everything he did was done in this decade!! THIS MAKES NO SENSE ! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Retribution for Malkin though. Who needs the top 100 when you make the all decade team

Reactions: Peat

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Just feels like some major disrespect. We all have our own choices but nothing wrong with Fleury either.
There is a lot wrong with someone thinking Fleury is the best goalie of the decade.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How is hedman not on any team? He has as many norris trophies as doughty.

Probably because he wasn't in the Norris discussion until the 2nd half of the decade

Zero Vezina wins.
Absolutely garbage playoff performances from 2010-2014.
Lost his starting job in the playoffs three times (2013, 2016, 2017).
Only Cup wins this decade came as the back-up.

He's the Chris Osgood of the 2010's

MAF wasn't even nominated for a Vezina this decade. His best finishes were 4 & 5, I mean even Dubnyk was nominated & Bishop was nominated 3 times (despite not being a starter for 4 of those seasons. Now I'm not saying they are better picks but it puts things into perspective.

Sure he has a ton of wins but its not hard to win games when you play with 2 of the top 3 players of the era.

Even Grant Fuhr won a Vezina and placed well in voting while playing on a dynasty with multiple HHOF'ers including the best player ever at his peak.

If they are going by "decade" then 2009-2019 is what they are measuring by.

2020 is 24 days in, I guess that's the whole year!

:laugh:

fleury-smiling.jpg

I would presume they are "starting" the decade in Sept 2009. If not then the Pens may have been the team of the decade as it would've included June 2009.

2009-2010| 2018-2019 is 10 seasons (or 9.5 if you want to call 2013 a half season)

Last edited:

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Malkin, Keith, Doughty, Karlsson and Lundqvist are pretty much no brainers. I don't really see any argument against them. Fleury is a weird choice though, but I think the 2nd goalie could be anyone from Price to Bob to Rask to Luongo. Chara sounded ok as the 4th defenseman, but I think that's just not really looking at when he declined. He's absolutely on this team if it was a play from 05-15, but he declined relatively early in the decade. Hedman probably makes the most sense, with cases for Weber or Burns, and maybe even someone like Pietrangelo for consistency.
To clarify..Chsra declined early in the decade?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
To clarify..Chsra declined early in the decade?

Relatively early, yea. His last Norris level season was '13-14. He's been a good player since, but not an elite one. That's not saying he's a terrible selection, but I don't think he's a clear pick, and I think Hedman has a case for being above him for more longevity as an elite player.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Karlsson/Malkin both have cause for being on the 1st AST. Malkin above Kane, and Karlsson above either of the other 2.....but, it's close. Like, really close. So not the worst selections,

The goalies are bad. I guess Henrik would have been the best choice for #1. Price is a better option for #2 than Fleury. Few other names too. Fleury certainly shouldn't have been #1.

I also don't like the Chara nomination. What about Weber, Subban, Hedman...maybe i'm forgetting someone. Doesn't feel like Chara was near his best long enough.

Finally - would have really liked to see McDavid on 2nd team. Probably above Bergeron. I get that he only has 4 seasons, but he did so well in the Ross, Hart, Linday placements that he should absolutely be there imo.

Reactions: Hatfield

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Hedman wasn't elite until a few years into the decade. He has a case, but if anyone is coming out for him it should be Chara, who hasn't been elite for over half the decade.

Top 3 in Norris voting for 2010-19;

PlayerNorris wins2nd or 3rd in votes
Karlsson22
Keith2
Doughty13
Hedman12
Subban12
Chara3
Weber3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yikesss. Dude gave everything he had for you guys and won you your first cup in decades and arguably saved your franchise and this is how you act?

About the only thing that spoils MAF's legacy in Pittsburgh is people making it out to be more than it is and this first team is exactly that.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Using silly awards to base a selection is lazy. If that were the case, Bob is the goalie of the decade, which he isn't. It's probably Hank, although a case could be made for Rask, or if Cups is a criteria, Quick.

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
The Fleury selection is bad. There's a reason the Pens were willing to part ways with, in all likelihood, the most liked athlete in the city's history. He's got a big chunk of poor playoff performances during the last decade.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Fleury over Lundqvist is insane.

Fleury got it because he has a Stanley Cup and that's all people care about for goalies.

Fleury had four consecutive playoffs with this stat line, .891, .899, .834, .883. No goalie that has a stretch like that, being that costly to his team in the post season, should ever be considered for 1st on the all decade team. And I get it, Fleury has wins... playing for the Penguins. A guy like Lundqvist would already be well past 500 wins if he was drafted by Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, in the same decade, Lundqvist had a four year stretch in the post season of .931, .934, .927, and .928 [over 70 games].

Not to mention Lundqvist won a Vezina, was 1st all star team, 2nd all star team in the same decade.

Fleury over Lundqvist, Rask, Price, even Rinne is just ludicrous to me.

Reactions: Crease and Lexus

Brownies

I think they’ve got the right D as both Doughty and Keith were absolutely amazing in their SC runs. I’d have Lunqvist 1st who I think is a Brodeur comparable talent who’s been on a lesser team than the NJ Devis were. I agree with Kane over Malkin, who has been injured or at least did not perform great as regularly.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
My biggest takeaway from goaltending last decade is with Lundqvist(deservedly) thought of as the best goalie in that time frame it was a pretty lame decade for goalies.

Also MAF sucks, but the right people like him I guess, so expect him to receive attention/accolades that he doesn’t deserve.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Of which he is tied with Lundqvist. In less games. Facing more shots over his career. Being a guy that was vital to 3 stanley cups. Went to the finals with 2 different teams, one being an expansion in its inaugural season.

Yeah, so undeserving.

:rolleyes:

Look at the teams they played for. Jesus christ imagine actually being obtuse enough to think this. Fleury has half a ring as a starter from 2010-19 he rode the bench in 16. Fleury has worse stats, never even won an individual award (let alone even be a finalist)

Fleury has never been a top 5 goalie in any given season. Even Vegas iced like 5 goalies their inaguaral season and didnt miss a beat when fleury missed half the season they werent ever carried by him. Fleury has never carried a team, only been carried

Last edited:
Reactions: Lexus and Hatfield

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Karlsson vs Doughty on the first team is a good debate. As most seem to be im suprised Fleury is on the 1st list

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->