NHL 31 in 31: The Buffalo Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Inside look at Buffalo Sabres

NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 31 teams throughout August. Today, the Buffalo Sabres.

Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt and a busy offseason have inspired a new level of optimism around the Buffalo Sabres.

Dahlin, a defenseman selected with the No. 1 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, could open the season on the top pair. Mittelstadt, the No. 8 pick of the 2017 NHL Draft, could start as the second-line center after making his NHL debut late last season.

[Sabres 31 IN 31: 3 Questions | Top prospects | Fantasy breakdown | Behind the numbers]

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I often think both Guhle & Nylander are over rated by most on this forum.

Personally I have Asplund at 3...

I have a hard time with these rankings because you have a variety of factors to put into things. For instance, how much do you value being close to being NHL-ready (like Guhle) vs potential upside mixed in with how likely is that player to hit their ceiling. Add in position, the players floor, what level they are at league-wise, etc, and there are a ton of factors to put into it.

And given how many decent prospects that the Sabres have right now, it makes things even more muddled.

I think I voted Guhle at 3 and Nylander at 4. But, Asplund is one of the guys that I thought about at those spots, too.

I am really intrigued by both Asplund and Olofsson. It will be really interesting to see what they look like in their first taste of NA hockey.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I have a hard time with these rankings because you have a variety of factors to put into things. For instance, how much do you value being close to being NHL-ready (like Guhle) vs potential upside mixed in with how likely is that player to hit their ceiling. Add in position, the players floor, what level they are at league-wise, etc, and there are a ton of factors to put into it.

And given how many decent prospects that the Sabres have right now, it makes things even more muddled.

I think I voted Guhle at 3 and Nylander at 4. But, Asplund is one of the guys that I thought about at those spots, too.

I am really intrigued by both Asplund and Olofsson. It will be really interesting to see what they look like in their first taste of NA hockey.

Good points - I personally favour ranking by their realistic floor. If im thinking about potential to reach more towards the ceiling its the likely hood of them doing that. Plus I base it in position to some extent ie 2 way centre > one dimensional winger. But I get that everybody is different.

My personal belief is that Nylander is over rated by many due to draft position, family pedigree & the fact people are banking on high but unrealistic potential. Guhle on the other hand I think people like because until Dahlin he has been literally the only blueline prospect in some years with any kind of realistic NHL level ability as his floor.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Good points - I personally favour ranking by their realistic floor. If im thinking about potential to reach more towards the ceiling its the likely hood of them doing that. Plus I base it in position to some extent ie 2 way centre > one dimensional winger. But I get that everybody is different.

My personal belief is that Nylander is over rated by many due to draft position, family pedigree & the fact people are banking on high but unrealistic potential. Guhle on the other hand I think people like because until Dahlin he has been literally the only blueline prospect in some years with any kind of realistic NHL level ability as his floor.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It is interesting that they have UPL as the Sabres 3rd best prospect with Nylander at 4 and Guhle at 5.

I have had Nylander behind Asplund and Pu repetitively. Nylander has no clue and to be honest his work ethic is garbage. Part of this was ruined by Bylsma and Murray. However, at the same time.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I often think both Guhle & Nylander are over rated by most on this forum.

Personally I have Asplund at 3...
Nylander for sure. Guhle, on the other hand, is a great prospect. I saw a handful of game in Rochester, and he was very impressive. He slowed down a bit later in the year, but still had a great year of development.

Nylander hasn't shown me anything in the AHL level. Even when he's putting up points he's barely noticable. I'd love to package him in a trade for a top-4 defensman in his prime years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->