Sedins' supporting cast crucial to Canucks lineup
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729022

Horvat paces list of Canucks' top 10 prospects
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728684

http://www.teamradio.ca/
Team1040 is doing a Canucks specific show right now

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
It's interesting reading articles from people who don't follow the Canucks as closely. This is quite evident in the article about the Top 10 prospects. Some things that really jumped out as off to me are:

1. Cederholm on the list
2. Gaunce rated ahead of Virtanen and Shinkaruk
3. McCann rated as low as 9th

King Crimson

Oct 6, 2011
On the prospects article:

Having Cederholm on there is very strange but, other than that, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the list. I even believe that Gaunce should be ranked ahead of Horvat. My reasoning is that what we have in Horvat we already have in Gaunce, but Gaunce has a year of experience on Horvat. They are very similar players. Face off beasts, two-way studs, cerebral playmakers with excellent shots should the opportunity present itself. Gaunce also has two inches on Horvat, while also being (I believe) a better skater. Horvat has smoother hands in close. Both are great prospects.

And Gaunce will be the next 1C captain of the Canucks. Just sayin'.

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011

Having Cederholm on there is very strange but, other than that, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the list. I even believe that Gaunce should be ranked ahead of Horvat. My reasoning is that what we have in Horvat we already have in Gaunce, but Gaunce has a year of experience on Horvat. They are very similar players. Face off beasts, two-way studs, cerebral playmakers with excellent shots should the opportunity present itself. Gaunce also has two inches on Horvat, while also being (I believe) a better skater. Horvat has smoother hands in close. Both are great prospects.

I won't say this is impossible, but it sure isn't very probable.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Horvat and Gaunce are not playmakers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Woodley articles aren't that terrible. There are some interesting bits in there and it seems as though he's at least actually done his research. Maybe even watched a few Canucks games.

In addition to exceptionally low team shooting and save percentages while he was on the ice that are likely to balance out, Edler should benefit from the trade of frequent partner Jason Garrison. The two struggled together last season, and Edler had positive possession numbers, including a 53.9 percent Corsi-for, without Garrison.

This in particular, while some i was generally aware of, the part regarding Edler's struggles alongside Garrison are definitely a pertinent and fairly insightful point.

But who the **** is Corey Masisak and why is he paid to write articles about things he clearly doesn't have any clue about?

If the Canucks are short on goal-scoring (and it looks like they might be), 2014 first-round pick Jake Virtanen could be an option, but he is more likely to spend another season developing in juniors.

Things like this just reek of not having a clue. Anyone who even half followed the draft would know that Virtanen is most definitely not even a consideration for this NHL team this year. And that's really just the start of the ignorance.

And as far as the Kimelman Article goes, more than just the rankings themselves being a bit bizarre, when someone refers to Bo Horvat as:

But with Horvat's mix of strong skating and all-around skill, the 19-year-old could be at the head of the line of young players looking to earn NHL jobs this season.

It really raises red flags as to whether this guy has ever watched a single game Horvat has played, much less the other lower profile prospects he is supposedly "ranking".

In actual fact, it's basically just sad that this is the sort of "journalism" NHL.com employs and passes off as genuine.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Woodley is one of the more insightful canucks media reporters i follow, i always enjoy his commentary.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Woodley had a 10 min take on demko on team1040 yesterday

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Horvat and Gaunce are not playmakers.

I thought Horvat had some pretty good set-up skills any time I watched him last year. While I wouldn't call him a playmaker per se, he has hockey sense and can make a pass. Probably looks to pass more than shoot in general.

"Horvat's mix of strong skating and all-around skill"

what? :laugh:

Being a fast skater is not the same as being a strong skater. Horvat is a strong skater, he skates well, very hard to knock off the puck or his feet, he just doesn't have top end speed whatsoever.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I really like Woodley and his work with goaltenders. He has some good insight into the actual mechanics as opposed to picking apart stats which doesn't go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad