NHL 2KHS Discussion Thread

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Haven't played an ice hockey game since about 2011, but this looks really promising.

Lots of in depth mechanics and the gameplay, while looking a bit slow and clunky, looks interesting. I honestly think it'll feel better to play than EA NHL. It's committed to realistic hockey mechanics, and is more aimed towards being a hockey simulation rather than an arcadey feeling game.

It's releasing tomorrow, November 1st. And the greatest thing is, you only need an ISO of the US version of 2k Wii hockey 2011. (You can find a torrent on certain sites if you do some digging, so essentially, this is completely free).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Haven't played an ice hockey game since about 2011, but this looks really promising.

Lots of in depth mechanics and the gameplay, while looking a bit slow and clunky, looks interesting. I honestly think it'll feel better to play than EA NHL. It's committed to realistic hockey mechanics, and is more aimed towards being a hockey simulation rather than an arcadey feeling game.

It's releasing tomorrow, November 1st. And the greatest thing is, you only need an ISO of the US version of 2k Wii hockey 2011. (You can find a torrent on certain sites if you do some digging, so essentially, this is completely free).

what on Earth is this?????

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
what on Earth is this?????
Mod for 2k11 on the Wii. This'll be played through an emulator on the PC, and has undergone many gameplay overhauls, new animations, new physics, etc to be as realistic a hockey game as possible.

It's a project undertaken by about two guys who are looking for an alternative to EA. Obviously it's not going to be graphical marvel, but it's a step in the right direction towards an alternative... bonus being that it's on PC and there will be roster sharing and other good features that you just can't get on a console atm.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I look forward to trying this tonight. I will be interested to see how this will run on my computer. I have been playing the NHL 2k11 Wii ISO file (which is what the game is based on) on the Dolphin emulator using an i7 processor, 1050TI graphics card and find a lot of frame rate drops during a game even on lower resolutions, which causes me to lose interest in playing it. I believe the creator lists his specs as having a 1080TI graphics card which is likely why he is capable of playing the game smoothly in 4k resolution. I do not notice a lot of lag in his video's but that's a pretty good graphics card, so I am curious to see if there is any optimization there that allows it to run more smoothly then simply playing the regular game file on Dolphin 5.0, otherwise it probably will not play very well for most people based on my experience unless they have a reasonably high end PC. He also may have found good emulator settings that I have not been able to come up with to get a smoother experience with the game as well, we shall see.

Last edited:

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
How do you play it? Is it on computer with a Wii game? What type of controller do you need?
Xbox one or ps4 controller, but the xbox controller is better because the game shows the xbox buttons, but whatever you prefer between the two. You can't use a keyboard, though.

You get the iso file of the 2011 US version of the game (look om some torrent sites) and then just follow the installation instructions (they are up on his latest video on his channel.) It's played through a wii emulator, so any wii game p much you can play on the PC.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I look forward to trying this tonight. I will be interested to see how this will run on my computer. I have been playing the NHL 2k11 Wii ISO file (which is what the game is based on) on the Dolphin emulator using an i7 processor, 1050TI graphics card and find a lot of frame rate drops during a game even on lower resolutions, which causes me to lose interest in playing it. I believe the creator lists his specs as having a 1080TI graphics card which is likely why he is capable of playing the game smoothly in 4k resolution. I do not notice a lot of lag in his video's but that's a pretty good graphics card, so I am curious to see if there is any optimization there that allows it to run more smoothly then simply playing the regular game file on Dolphin 5.0, otherwise it probably will not play very well for most people based on my experience unless they have a reasonably high end PC. He also may have found good emulator settings that I have not been able to come up with to get a smoother experience with the game as well, we shall see.

Which i7 do you have? With my i5 4570 I was almost all the time at 100% cpu usage with framedrops to the 50s, which automatically slows the game down. It only worked with 60fps on pond hockey. Looking forward to try it with my new Ryzen though.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Xbox one or ps4 controller, but the xbox controller is better because the game shows the xbox buttons, but whatever you prefer between the two. You can't use a keyboard, though.

You get the iso file of the 2011 US version of the game (look om some torrent sites) and then just follow the installation instructions (they are up on his latest video on his channel.) It's played through a wii emulator, so any wii game p much you can play on the PC.

Thanks.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
So how is it? I've been looking forward to this but haven't found the time to try it out. I think my PC could handle it.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
So how is it? I've been looking forward to this but haven't found the time to try it out. I think my PC could handle it.
It's a good hockey game. More enjoyable than EA NHL imo... needs a lot of updates and such, however. One problem though, is I get frame drops like crazy, which make it pretty much unplayable.. And I have a GTX 1080 + i7 4.0 GZ processor, so it's really odd. I know emulators take a lot of CPU usage, but the fact I get these frame drops, even at lower resolutions, is really odd. I know a few others that have had this problem as well.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yep, same problem for me with a GTX 1080 and the same processor.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's a good hockey game. More enjoyable than EA NHL imo... needs a lot of updates and such, however. One problem though, is I get frame drops like crazy, which make it pretty much unplayable.. And I have a GTX 1080 + i7 4.0 GZ processor, so it's really odd. I know emulators take a lot of CPU usage, but the fact I get these frame drops, even at lower resolutions, is really odd. I know a few others that have had this problem as well.
The drops dont sound good. I've got an i7 2600 3.4 GZ + GTX 780 and it plays most everything well, but I know the Dolphin emulator relies mostly on the CPU. Sounds like the optimization isn't great and we need more options to lessen effects in game then.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
It's pretty damn fun but two complaints:
- On defense, when you poke check and use both joysticks at the same time you start moving around super fast like a moron, I really wish this could be changed.
- Too bad this is 2k11 because I love playing franchise mode but it is soooo barebone in this game.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Yep, same problem for me with a GTX 1080 and the same processor.
The only way I have found to speed up the game and correct the speed of the audio is to go into the emulator config - advanced - CPU options - Enable emulated CPU clock override - check the box, and put it down to about 50%. It will correct the commentary and speed up the game, likely by causing some frame skipping. You may not have to decrease it as much as I do, but the game play is much smoother.

Reactions: Realgud and clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The only way I have found to speed up the game and correct the speed of the audio is to go into the emulator config - advanced - CPU options - Enable emulated CPU clock override - check the box, and put it down to about 50%. It will correct the commentary and speed up the game, likely by causing some frame skipping. You may not have to decrease it as much as I do, but the game play is much smoother.
Definitely see an improvement after fiddling around with this. Thanks. Not perfect still, but it's playable now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad