NHL 22 Wishlist

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
They've had the European teams in this game for decades and the CHL/AHL/ECHL more recently yet you still cannot start a GM mode in these leagues with their actual rules.

You wanna talk about replayability? Let's talk about recruiting top teenagers for your OHL squad and trying to win the Memorial Cup, as well as managing the WJCs. Let's talk about playing as a top Swiss or Sweden club and having to deal with your best players signing in the NHL. Now those would be fun challenges.

And while we're at it, add the NCAA div. 1 teams too so we can manage them

And as others have said, bring in the World Cup, too.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Be a GM needs a huge overhaul. Getting so stale.

- More dynamic potential. Similar to Madden where awards give them a development boost, or certain milestones give them a potential bump (i.e. 30 goals gives them the sniper trait etc..)
- Trade engine actually changes the value bar as the season progresses.
- Line chemistry needs to be re-worked. Guys like MacKinnon/McDavid/Drasaitl give their line mates bigger boosts. (Kassian being on McDavids wing moves him from a 81OVR to 84OVR for example)
- Coaching is a joke.
- In season training for young players
- Scouting engine needs to be refined.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Create a jersey in franchise mode please so I could update this guy:

Only replace the shoulder logos with the current logo, I'd love to rock this as Pittsburgh's 3rd.

Reactions: NYR94

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I usually read these threads to hear about other's ideas. I don't usually complain about the year's release because there is usually something new and interesting, but NHL21 is the exact same game play as last year. Same menus, same graphics, same everything (Although I haven't played the new Be a Pro.)

Super disappointed in this year's effort.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I usually read these threads to hear about other's ideas. I don't usually complain about the year's release because there is usually something new and interesting, but NHL21 is the exact same game play as last year. Same menus, same graphics, same everything (Although I haven't played the new Be a Pro.)

HOPEFULLY it is because they were focused more on NHL 22 for Next-Gen. HOPEFULLY
...not holding my breath though.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
They've had the European teams in this game for decades and the CHL/AHL/ECHL more recently yet you still cannot start a GM mode in these leagues with their actual rules.

You wanna talk about replayability? Let's talk about recruiting top teenagers for your OHL squad and trying to win the Memorial Cup, as well as managing the WJCs. Let's talk about playing as a top Swiss or Sweden club and having to deal with your best players signing in the NHL. Now those would be fun challenges.

And while we're at it, add the NCAA div. 1 teams too so we can manage them

And as others have said, bring in the World Cup, too.

Those are nice wishes, but I am afraid it surpasses dev's team IQ...

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
The ability to roster update while in franchise mode would be awesome. Nothing more frustrating working through a season not being able to adjust for trades, signings, extensions, picks etc. I try to keep it realistic and I hate when you come to a TDL or off season and can’t move players or adjust their salaries or move picks from team to team

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The ability to roster update while in franchise mode would be awesome. Nothing more frustrating working through a season not being able to adjust for trades, signings, extensions, picks etc. I try to keep it realistic and I hate when you come to a TDL or off season and can’t move players or adjust their salaries or move picks from team to team
I don't know how you conceivably would do this. If I traded Laine in my game, but he stays with WIN in real life then a roster update would revert that. Now think of how that would work after ten or so moves. Draft picks are on different teams, money is retained, etc.

I guess, I just don't understand what you want or how that's feasible.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
a real story line.
a new redone franchise mode. been far too long since that got any love. I havnt even started it this year I just played a couple seasons of the new Be A Pro and after the 1st season or 2 the commentary becomes non existent, it was a nice start but hopefully next year they can improve on it.

Being able to go to the arena to practice with your team mates and get to know them.
maybe if you go out for drinks or sight seeing theres a scene change where your at the bar and a little real dialog even if its just text could be cool,

walking around the arena and into the locker room having team mates there would be really cool.

Hell maybe make it an RPG lvl system that gives more things to you to improve your game or get better gear/hockey sticks stuff like that.

voice recording that some how makes Ray Ferraro actually say my real last name lol
hell any real improvement would be great

Reactions: Crosscrease14

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don't know how you conceivably would do this. If I traded Laine in my game, but he stays with WIN in real life then a roster update would revert that. Now think of how that would work after ten or so moves. Draft picks are on different teams, money is retained, etc.

I guess, I just don't understand what you want or how that's feasible.

I guess what I mean is the ability to update your custom roster as you go. The ability to update Sergs contract for example, or offseason trades and pick moves.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
From a completely cosmetic point of view the NHL series should take notes from all the other sports games and use bits from each one.

-There should be more cut scenes and a more personable feel to Be A Pro and to an extent, Franchise mode. Similar to how NBA 2K does it.

-They should copy the old Fifa load screens where you can stick handle and shoot on the goalie or perform warm up and as the game loads up you see more fans in the crowd until the stadium is full and you can start the actual game.

-The trade deadline in Franchise mode is better than previous years, because it feels like an actual event, but I would still love to see NHL copy Madden's old weekly recap show called the "Extra Point" where actual commentators showed stats from some of the previous weeks games as well as the offensive and defensive players of the week. Do something like that where James Duthie/Bob McKenzie or Jeff Marek/Elliotte Friedman do a precursor show for the trade deadline and/or NHL Entry Draft by talking about available players and what teams are interested in them.

For those that do not remember the Madden show here is a link:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
To have as much depth to franchise mode as 2k put in their nhl series almost 20years ago.
Good I miss those games so much.
Fast efficient menus, in depth player stat tracking .
Player names were actually in the game.
FA/contract negotiations.
Getting kicked out of faceoffs.
Actual board battles.
Records books updated when broken in game.
2k was always behind on graphics but in literally every other area they ran circles around EA.
It still amazes me that given the choice between the 2 games, most took the pretty arcade gimmick ea spewed out over 2k.
I mean they even added skate with the cup in the one year after winning instead of the same stupid animation since 06

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
By the way, how the hell havent the KHL came out with their own video game yet?
I guess lack of demand to create a video game. There were talks of a KHL game but they landed in some weird fantasy-type of league that can barely be called a fantasy league.

My only hope and wish for upcoming NHL series is that the KHL finally swallows their pride and agrees to licensing for a more reasonable amount than they're asking.

Reactions: pukovnik

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
EA is on sale again tempted to purchase it because my NHL 20 disc wont read and u cant purchase 20 on PSstore unless ur part of EA play

One thing I find is because I play franchise mode and I usually play for 5+ seasons is they need to update commentary and player/team intros. Not just NHL but Madden too.

EA is so lazy is ridiculous

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I also noticed in NHL at least in 20, maybe the ones before it, its harder to initiate or start a fight with a fighter. For example I had Reaves on one of my teams and I tried to start a fight with Matt Martin and nothing. But like one of their non fighters will fight me or they have fights after really stupid hits. Or they do an animation before u can even skate over to attempt fighting someone.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

COVID + shifting resources to next-gen adding to the typical EA incompetence is why I avoided all EA Sports games this release (for the first time ever).

Reactions: NK94

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
COVID + shifting resources to next-gen adding to the typical EA incompetence is why I avoided all EA Sports games this release (for the first time ever).

Yes same here, I play FHM for my hockey gaming fix and it'll take some convincing for me to pay out on another EA NHL title again.

Now I have broken the cycle of purchasing the game and being left disappointed, I certainly won't be rushing to buy another copy.

Repeatedly seeing what's wrong with game and the direction it's been heading in over last few years, I don't have much faith EA will ever truly address these issues and make NHL a credible game again now.

They've gone too far in the wrong direction and even if the devs wanted to, I don't think they are resourced well enough or have the artistic licence to implement the necessary changes. I think online gaming killed the EA NHL franchise.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Yes same here, I play FHM for my hockey gaming fix and it'll take some convincing for me to pay out on another EA NHL title again.

Now I have broken the cycle of purchasing the game and being left disappointed, I certainly won't be rushing to buy another copy.

Repeatedly seeing what's wrong with game and the direction it's been heading in over last few years, I don't have much faith EA will ever truly address these issues and make NHL a credible game again now.

They've gone too far in the wrong direction and even if the devs wanted to, I don't think they are resourced well enough or have the artistic licence to implement the necessary changes. I think online gaming killed the EA NHL franchise.
Yea, they have two main issues for me:

1) Too much dedication to HUT (cards) and add-ons to grab more $$$ from kids
2) They have increasingly made it easier to score and more random (computer involvement) each passing year. This is also what ruined FIFA (avg scoring jumped up >2 goals per game online in last few years). Can now hit bangers 3 times a game from outside the box EVERY game. Defense movement is trash. Going back to NHL, poke check is worthless which makes it impossible to stop the "top tier" glitch players. And the only imbeciles that defend the difficulty to pokecheck or even the inability to cycle due to crap passing/player movement, are those cheese players.

Now the only way to compete online is to play just as cheap as everyone else. Believe it or not, you used to be able to play good enough D yourself to completely shutdown cheese goals yourself. But now everything they do is anti-defense and encourages only scoring off the rush.

In part, they did this because NOTHING pissed off a kid more than running into a player who played elite defense. They HATED not being able to score.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
I’m almost convinced there’s just a coin flip that determines who wins the game and as long as the tean gets shots on net they’ll win. I’ve lost too many 30-8 shots and 14-5 time in attack games fir something not to be up.

Defense simply doesn’t exist anymore. If I knew how I’d make a compilation of shots going through my body, passes going through my stick and my defensemen diving left to right instead of north/south. I will say the 2 way forward helps a bit on that at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad