NHL 22 Wishlist

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Sorry for triple post (I forgot multi reply was a thing) for the people talking about EA and the exclusive rights thing, do you realize there is literally a game that releases yearly that has NHL rights that isnt EA? now it's a sim game but the point still stands.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I dont have the new NHL yet, I still have Matthews NHL 2020. I am not sure if I'm even going to get the new one.

Is NHL 21 virtually the same game as it's been for the past 10 years?

I haven't liked a NHL game since the Patrice Bergeron cover way back.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think EA is terrified that the pc community would take nhl 20 and fix/mod it to the point nobody would ever buy the new version again.
That is quite possible. But the same thing happens with Madden and it's still around. Modded Madden plays SO well.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I dont have the new NHL yet, I still have Matthews NHL 2020. I am not sure if I'm even going to get the new one.

Wait but that was the worst one of the past 10 years. That's the one that shipped with no draft in franchise mode.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wait but that was the worst one of the past 10 years. That's the one that shipped with no draft in franchise mode.

Wait... the draft is my favorite. Then maybe it was the Toews cover.

I miss when a big hit was a big hit. A deak was a deak, and breakaways still existed.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Franchise mode in European leagues, and Canadian hockey leagues. IIHF license that would include IIHF WC, WJC 20, WJC 18. Add Hlinka tournament as well.

I forgot following; make championship banners visible in your arena, able to retire jersey.

Reactions: BigT2002

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

I semi regret buying new game. It is so laden with bugs and errors. Am confused how they could mess it up so bad considering how little it appears they changed.

The rosters are entirely NOT updated. Franchise mode is plagued with bugs. And the first "patch/update" was completely pointless.

It's my own fault for expecting EA Sports to be better, somehow, when they've never demonstrated interest in customer feedback. Gotta stop buying into it hoping it will deliver. It did not.

Fingers crossed the game is improved with inevitable (hopefully) patches that fix errors and make game modes operationally similar to that of NHL 20

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
When I was telling a friend how buggy the game is, he suggested it could be *because* they're working on overhauling aspects of the game....

One can only hope....

Optics don't look good for sure though

I haven't bought 21 yet (waiting for the price to go down and some of the issues to hopefully be fixed)... But for me...

More custom logos for expansion/custom teams (I can choose to have a hamburger logo, or a state or province, but the game lacks realistic, practical options. Ideally, one could import like in NBA2K)

Speaking of 2k.... I love the level of customization it offers. The ability to control multiple teams, veto idiotic trades, etc etc. Would not be opposed in the slightest to EA introducing features like that

Ability to edit coaches, or a design overhaul (the fact that many employ strategies players never use is annoying and can be tedious to work around). You should also be able to select coaches when you start a franchise.

Free agency overhaul ~ ability to gauge player interest, increase or withdraw offers, etc etc

That's all I can think of atm, as you probably can tell I'm mostly a franchise mode guy :laugh:

Reactions: mk80

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I want 2K to get back into making NHL console games

Forgive me for being dumb, but I hear everyone asking for roster sharing...what exactly is that?

It allows people to update the game with players currently missing without having to do it yourself. players like NCAA prospects and even KHL players like Kaprizov are missing from the game. Plus like we seen in this year there are still players on teams that have been traded for instance Donato and Dubnyk are still on the Wild while in real life they are sharks.

There are very involved people that enjoy updating rosters while others just don't have the time or drive to do it. I would be very appreciative to just download their work so I don't need to go through the 30+ minutes to fix the rosters myself.

Reactions: OddyOh and YP44

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It allows people to update the game with players currently missing without having to do it yourself. players like NCAA prospects and even KHL players like Kaprizov are missing from the game. Plus like we seen in this year there are still players on teams that have been traded for instance Donato and Dubnyk are still on the Wild while in real life they are sharks.

There are very involved people that enjoy updating rosters while others just don't have the time or drive to do it. I would be very appreciative to just download their work so I don't need to go through the 30+ minutes to fix the rosters myself.

Didn't Madden have this for the longest time??

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Here's a REAL IDEA. Fantasy sports are HUGE. Allow players to play in ONLINE FRANCHISE mode. Where they can play out SEASONS with their peers. Adds a whole element of fandom and, guess what, to my knowledge it's an inventive idea because no other sports game is doing it. KEEPER LEAGUES ARE REAL !

So join a league with like 10 people and do a snake draft/auction draft?? I like it actually...

Reactions: hmc1987

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Didn't Madden have this for the longest time??
I'm pretty sure all their other sports titles have roster Sharing in them. I know The Show does, and the folks at OSFM do a fantastic job every year redoing rosters and prospects for the community.

EA is likely afraid to do it because then people really would have no reason to buy the new $80 half roster update each year. Really goes to show how piss poor of a job they do on NHL every year.

Reactions: BigT2002

spfan

May 4, 2009
A big change I want is their system for overall and attributes. Some categories have too much affect on the overall and basically they have to have unrealistic attributes for star players to keep them high overall. Body checking and strength needs to have less weight. Def. awareness needs to have a little bit less weight. And passing and off. awareness need more weight. Their system makes it so that big, physical players are better and small, skilled players aren't as good as they could be. I also think they need to go back to many years ago of when they had higher overall ratings in general. Like McDavid is the absolutely highest(of active players) at 95. Why not make it so players can be 99 overall(and again, without having to have unrealistic attributes) Madden and NBA have 99 overall players, but it seems they're scared to have them in NHL.

I wish they would add back to being able to edit heights and weights too. It's annoying when young players have grown quite a lot, but they're still listed as their size at like 16. I know they do grow in franchise mode, but still they should let us be able to edit that. As you could do this a few games ago or so.

They need to have some players retire later too and players regress too fast. Someone like Giordano basically has not much value in year 1 and drops in rating quite fast. But in real life, he's going to be quite good for a few more years still.

They need to make it so a goalie or two goes in the 1st round in some draft years.

Maybe there's a specific reason, but why is the KHL not in the game? I know they had it in the past, so why did it get removed? Definitely would like the KHL back in the game. Saves time from creating players.

BAP has been greatly improved. So great job with the improvements there. I can only hope they have real storylines in the future like NBA and Madden does. But they definitely took a big step.
One thing that still is stupid in BAP though is, you could destroy the league and as a UFA, you only get offers from a few teams. You should be getting offers from every team in the league, as long as they the cap space.

Wouldn't mind getting the option at least of being able to edit players fully in franchise mode too. So attributes included.

Create a player I feel like hasn't changed for quite a few years now. I think they need some new additions to it. More hair, beard options, just further customization options.

I wish in create a player, that you could randomize the attributes or if there was a button to make the rating go up by 10. It just would make it faster for creating players. I remember NHL 2k had this, where you pressed a different button to make the attribute go up by 10 at a time.

Maybe add some more stuff to online modes. Do what 2k used to have, have a bunch of mini game modes. I think this would definitely boost popularity for less hardcore hockey fans.

Option to create players for future drafts while in franchise mode would be good too.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Dude it would be AWESOME.

As a SIM league or a PLAY league. Id be down for BOTH.

That actually has some good merit. A potential thought to help out with this, since I know many don't want to play a full on 82-game season --

What if you added an option where you could go into your team via mobile and set your lineups and tweak things like offensive/defensive zone pressures and/or configure ice time restrictions, or better yet -- "lock on player" mode where you could take your best defensive forward and make sure he's always on the ice when your opponent's best player is on?

I can't imagine that has to be that labor intensive if it was all done before the game started.

Reactions: hmc1987

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I would love a mode similar to the MLB's march to October. A faster version of Franchise mode where you play the action parts of the season. Win the big game against a division rival and your team has more momentum heading into the next sim segment.

That would be awesome too!

cam7

Oct 27, 2020
The big things I want are:
1. The ability to import custom logos like in NBA 2K, along with more creativity creating uniforms (being able to place logos anywhere). I would love to be able to create the original Nordiques jerseys.
2. Better crowd atmosphere and chants like on FIFA. The best part about FIFA imo is the crowd atmosphere and the amount of custom chants they have for each club. On that note it would also be cool if they did the national anthems before each game, especially for the playoffs.
3. French commentary option.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Roster Sharing
Better Roster creation
Historic teams
Historic Games (I.e play in the first NHL Game, score the winning goal as Bobby Orr, score as Hasek etc)
Revamped Be-a-Pro

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Aside from all the obvious complaints, the fact that EA's vintage jersey selection is still so barren and bizarrely-organized is kinda ridiculous.

Multiple teams are missing entire historic sets from their catalogues. Buffalo doesn't have the Goathead set. Boston doesn't have the Pooh. The Isles don't have either Fisherman jersey included. The Rangers don't have the white Liberty. The Kings don't have the Burger King, the Caps don't have the blue Screaming Eagle.

The Sens don't have either vintage 90's dark jersey, but have the white and one random original Sens jersey tossed in. Dallas' inaugural set is AWOL, as is the Mooterus and the North Stars' '91 set; but the wordmark jerseys nobody actually liked are in and they have the friggin' two-season Barons included.

The vintage Kachinas and the Jets' 90's jerseys are missing, but both the Jets and Coyotes share the 80's Jets jerseys.

It's not to do with licensing, because f***ing 2K5, a game released over two decades ago, has a more complete vintage jersey selection than NHL 21 does in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: ek93, cam7 and Jysk

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
A big change I want is their system for overall and attributes. Some categories have too much affect on the overall and basically they have to have unrealistic attributes for star players to keep them high overall. Body checking and strength needs to have less weight. Def. awareness needs to have a little bit less weight. And passing and off. awareness need more weight. Their system makes it so that big, physical players are better and small, skilled players aren't as good as they could be. I also think they need to go back to many years ago of when they had higher overall ratings in general. Like McDavid is the absolutely highest(of active players) at 95. Why not make it so players can be 99 overall(and again, without having to have unrealistic attributes) Madden and NBA have 99 overall players, but it seems they're scared to have them in NHL.

i think the biggest problem with the rating system is it doesn't really weigh out what each player does well and does not do well. every category seems to be weighted equally just to get players to a certain overall.

spfan

May 4, 2009
i think the biggest problem with the rating system is it doesn't really weigh out what each player does well and does not do well. every category seems to be weighted equally just to get players to a certain overall.

Na, there's definitely a lot of weight in checking, strength and def. awareness.
It makes it harder for players like Gaudreau and Kane to have a deserving overall rating with being realistic in those categories. And boosts players like Chara too much.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Speed also seems to be heavily weighted, which is great when you're working with a McDavid, and not so great when you're trying to give a Darren Helm a realistic rating. Also can a problem when you're trying to get a clunky skater like Getzlaf to where he should be

Could very well be wrong but I feel like previous generation games (ie on the PS3) weighted ratings based on their play style... ie TWF would receive boosts for defensive awareness and such

Even if I'm wrong, seems like a way to potentially improve the overall system... ie a player like Patrick Kane (who I'd classify as a sniper) would receive boosts for his shooting, and secondary boosts for his playmaking ability, etc etc

Or, y'know, do away with overalls entirely.... but that's always seemed rather drastic to me

Reactions: vicprestige

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You could have all but two or three attributes at 80-85 and the players overall rating will still be under 80. Game makes no sense at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad