NHL 21 (Part 2)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have any of the glitches on NHL 21 been fixed? I am thinking of buying it but the glitches seem off putting. Is it unplayable? What are some of the glitches you guys have noticed? Thanks.
Nope. Stuff the developers have been aware of since release. Big one for me as a defenseman is the slap around the DZ boards is broken. The player targets his own net. There's also a dead spot on the left half wall on each end where the puck stops dead.

Still numerous ways for opponents to glitch the game out and fight animations that reset the clock to a previous faceoff and boot random players in World of Chel games.

Goalies can still glitch to the other end of the ice and interfere with opposing goalies which don't count as interference.

All of these things were in the game at release. None have been patched.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Honestly, NHL21 just does not feel playable. I’ll have to fiddle with the sliders a lot because at its default state it is awful.

I play exclusively GM mode, but I’ll play a handful of home games. Against the computer apparently my goalie can’t have a save percentage over .500, computer players have the puck glued to their stick even if they skate into a crowd of players, their slowest player is significantly faster than my fastest. Essentially, rather than actually work on the AI, EA just decided that if you want “difficulty” or “simulation” what you really want to do is to watch the South Park episode where the kids play against the Red Wings.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Got it on my ps5 a couple of days a go. Expected it to be NHL 20 with updated rosters.This is what I've found this far

• Way worse defensive AI. If I am backchecking successfully, the other defenseman will go for the same man, making another guy wide open
  • Black screen as a stylistic choice in games between sequences - amateurish and ugly
  • Video glitches galore. Referees disappear into the stands, broken sticks on the ice are perfect, players without helmets get helmets knocked off. This is on a level not seen since NHL 2002. HAS THERE BEEN any improvement? EA needs a competitor bad. They have been phoning it in for the ten last years.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Just got the game for free.

Why are these EA games so clunky. Moving in the menu is so slow - it's extremely annoying.

Gameplay is a joke; not an ounce of realism.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

Why are these EA games so clunky. Moving in the menu is so slow - it's extremely annoying.

You overpaid. There is no realism but not enough arcade feel to make up for it.

Short players with elite skill are at a disadvantage to really tall players who skate well. Find guys who are 6'4 and over who can skate. Their sticks and ability to get pucks down is ridiculous.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I need help. Is there anyway to trade Draft Picks before you begin a season?
I recreated the rosters so I own all my players from my Dynasty League. I have 3 picks in 2021. I would like to acquire those 1sts. anyway to do this?
I can only manage rosters from the main menu

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Players stopping without actually making a hockey stop, then turning 360 to top speed the opposite direction, over and over to elude forecheckers.
All 5 of my players falling over each other in front of the net like some unity hobbyist's demolition derby prototype.

Reactions: CBJx614
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this glitch? When the other team has momentum, suddenly every shot on goal is a goal against, and any player controlled player skates in mud. One of the best examples is that I made a bank pass to an open forward who had come on for a line change, the second the puck touches his stick the skating animation is going but he travels about 3 feet which allows the computer to just truck him and easily take the puck away. Has been happening pretty frequently to me anytime the computer scores a goal.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Got it on my ps5 a couple of days a go. Expected it to be NHL 20 with updated rosters.This is what I've found this far

• Way worse defensive AI. If I am backchecking successfully, the other defenseman will go for the same man, making another guy wide open
  • Black screen as a stylistic choice in games between sequences - amateurish and ugly
  • Video glitches galore. Referees disappear into the stands, broken sticks on the ice are perfect, players without helmets get helmets knocked off. This is on a level not seen since NHL 2002. HAS THERE BEEN any improvement? EA needs a competitor bad. They have been phoning it in for the ten last years.

It's funny, I play a lot of NHL 14 at home and for the first time I've played NHL 21 the other day. I thought I would get smoked (expecting a difference in gameplay or realism or something). But no, wrecked my friends even though I can't perform one of those fancy dekes they introduced :laugh:

Defensively this game is so easy - pokechecks galore. Which makes the offense pretty easy too - don't deke around, skate in a straight line and one-timers...

Reactions: mattihp

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
12-3 win today, with all 3 goals against coming off a point wrist shot less than 5 seconds into each power play. My goalie made four saves in the game.

Edit: goalie settings are maxed out for both teams. Doesn’t seem to do much. :laugh:

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
For the first time ever I haven't spent any money on HUT this season. Funny enough, my team is the best it's ever been lol. So easy to build a good team without paying to win this year thank God.

93 overall, 5 active synergies, etc.

Absolutely dominating every Rivals game basically.

Want a card suggestion? Jason Robertson's 92 overall card has 95 goals in 96 games for me (some of those games are squad battles on superstar, but still)...

I've also noticed that even online your goalie doesn't really matter at all. Just dominated some guy 11-4 and he had 5 shots on goal lmao on a 91 carey price. People can't defend for shit in this game however so it's so easy to score if you just do some quick passing plays

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I started a hut team about a month ago to play some online 1 vs 1, which I never usually do.

I'm a pretty decent player on the EASHL scene and thought I'd breeze through the folks in D10.

I went 3-2-2 vs people who were clearly inferior, but who had 90+ rated players with just speedsters, while mine was around 84-85 with much slower players.

They didn't even bother actually playing, passing ir deeking, they just found a guy in full speed with the puck, who then perceded to burn past my defence before I even had time to swap to that position.

It's not hockey, just an arcade game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Picked up '21 digital copy for $20.

Could the soundtrack get any worse? It's been bad for awhile but most years I can usually find at least a couple songs that are palatable.

But this year's soundtrack is putrid. It's god-awful. Easily the worst soundtrack from a series known lately for awful soundtracks. Good job EA, you outdid yourselves for once.

Reactions: CasusBelli

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
I started a hut team about a month ago to play some online 1 vs 1, which I never usually do.

I'm a pretty decent player on the EASHL scene and thought I'd breeze through the folks in D10.

I went 3-2-2 vs people who were clearly inferior, but who had 90+ rated players with just speedsters, while mine was around 84-85 with much slower players.

They didn't even bother actually playing, passing ir deeking, they just found a guy in full speed with the puck, who then perceded to burn past my defence before I even had time to swap to that position.

It's not hockey, just an arcade game.

Yeah this time of year most people who are still playing have stacked teams, they have possibly grinded the game for 9 months or so. The game mode is at its best the first 3 months when the attributes are still low enough so that only few cards if any have +95 speed and you get by with a solid base card team, which you can easily get without spending any money. This year I was done in December, just found the content and the whole Rivals/Champs play cycle too repetitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad