NHL 21 (Part 2)

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Just got this for free on game pass and even for $0 it’s still an embarrassment. I couldn’t tell you one thing that’s changed in gameplay. Still haven’t gotten back the amazing skating/hitting from the Ones demo... in fact, the force fields have gotten worse.

Reactions: John Price

Devilinlillinois

Jun 5, 2015
Doesn't matter, it will be terrible and require countless hours of attribute/potential/player style modifications.

It wouldn't be a EA roster update if you didn't have to I can already see multiple players that signed entry level contracts not being in tell the next game

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
It wouldn't be a EA roster update if you didn't have to I can already see multiple players that signed entry level contracts not being in tell the next game
The game desperately needs roster sharing in the future. I don't know who decides player types but I'd say 99% of hockey fans would say Tom Wilson is a power forward but EA has him as a grinder which is horrible for line chemistry.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The game desperately needs roster sharing in the future. I don't know who decides player types but I'd say 99% of hockey fans would say Tom Wilson is a power forward but EA has him as a grinder which is horrible for line chemistry.
You should be able to "retire" players too. Why is Byfuglien still in the FA list at 88 overall? Why if I move Pete Mahovolich off of the Penguins alumni to make room for a CAP, does he get signed by the Devils in my franchise mode? So janky.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
You should be able to "retire" players too. Why is Byfuglien still in the FA list at 88 overall? Why if I move Pete Mahovolich off of the Penguins alumni to make room for a CAP, does he get signed by the Devils in my franchise mode? So janky.
That would be a cool feature. Also be able to pick numbers to retire and be able to potentially coax a player out of retirement to return for another year. Basically I want to be able to retire #12 and #37 for the Capitals and do the same for #8 and #19 when Ovechkin and Backstrom retire for example.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Doesn't matter, it will be terrible and require countless hours of attribute/potential/player style modifications.
There's some convoluted way to roster-share, I saw on another message board, you take the save from the ps4 with usb stick, and use some software, and then re-upload it to your ps4 or something...

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Man online is a shitshow... just lost 7-4 and yeah, the guy was better than me. Out of this 11 goals, 7 were one timers. 2 Penalty shots, one rebound (after an actual blocked pass for a one timer) and a wrist shot from the circle. Game's waaay too fast.

Offline is decent though, definetly better in terms of neutral zone pressure.

Really hope they turn it around with the next gen releases (doubt it though).

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Man online is a shitshow... just lost 7-4 and yeah, the guy was better than me. Out of this 11 goals, 7 were one timers. 2 Penalty shots, one rebound (after an actual blocked pass for a one timer) and a wrist shot from the circle. Game's waaay too fast.

Offline is decent though, definetly better in terms of neutral zone pressure.

Really hope they turn it around with the next gen releases (doubt it though).

Yeah, I'm enjoying the game solely because I haven't owned an NHL since 13. I've completely bought into the one-timer meta, and while I feel kind of guilty about it, I get way too frustrated when I lose not to do it. I try to enjoy creative passing plays, but they still end with a one-timer lol

They just need to make the goaltenders better at getting across the crease. In 13 one-timers are not a given, in fact I would get frustrated with how infrequently they worked. Just go back to that.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Just got it for free via EA Play. The AI defensively seems better and smarter with their stick. The ping pong passing on superstar is still there.

But damn, I played HUT Rush (got nothing), saw the horrible grind that is HUT once again (was an avid NHL 20 player), and then played Be A Pro first season...is there anything else that I can do to make this game fun? It seems I've grown tired of it just after 2 days.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This game is still and will always be absolute garbage. I'm done with the series.

Every single online game is the exact same. Nothing but poke checks and one timers ALL game.

The AI logic is absolutely trash. Players are WAY to hardwired to follow their programing to play one formation. If there's an open puck that they could easily get the CPU won't do it because it's not within it's coding.

Player cuts when you wanna turn around are absolutely embarrassing when a player comes to a complete stop instead of just spinning.

If your passing isn't perfect your players end up making completely stupid and unrealistic passes.

I've played every year since 05 and I'm done. All EA cares about is HUT and EASHL. It's extremely clear they don't care about realism. I mean honestly how hard is it to watch games, get an average for about how many times certain situations happen in a game( tripping penalties, poke checks, one timers, etc) and try to develop a system/AI that's at least somewhat realistic?

I just uninstalled the game and I have absolutely no desire to download anything EA on my console again.

Reactions: Bgav

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
i cant believe they released be a pro as is and leave it horrible. also dont understand why you STILL cant skip a year in the offline modes. i dont want to do a franchise mode starting in 2020-2021?? its over, let that auto sim whats left for christ sake

and if you want to include an expansion team, there needs to be a second 2020 entry draft? like what the f***?

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, I'm enjoying the game solely because I haven't owned an NHL since 13. I've completely bought into the one-timer meta, and while I feel kind of guilty about it, I get way too frustrated when I lose not to do it. I try to enjoy creative passing plays, but they still end with a one-timer lol

They just need to make the goaltenders better at getting across the crease. In 13 one-timers are not a given, in fact I would get frustrated with how infrequently they worked. Just go back to that.

I don't think it's the goalies, it's way more the positioning and the ability to deflect passes. Not every cross crease pass through a defender should be an automatic interception, but just a little deflection so the shooter misses the one timer, can't shot it as accurate, etc.

Played Be a Pro yesterday. Had 5 minors (trying to play as bad as possible to go NOT 1st overall) and a fight 5 minutes into the 2nd period at a 1-1 score. Playing in europe, it was an automatic match penalty. After the game you see me walking down the tunnel (first WTF but yeah, whatever) and the coach comes to me, saying "Great, exactly what we want, great discipline". I was rated C, C and F when I got tossed out. Really really awful.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Going from playing the show to this really showcases how bad it is. It’s just not fun when literally every goal both ways is a one timer. With the show there’s way more variety in how people play. There are still people who glitch and play in an annoying way, but in general every game feels different. It’s much more satisfying to lose in the show than with nhl.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Playing against A.I in Playoffs is f*cking awful, it’s like the game gets harder by making your players worse. User controlled players all of sudden forget how to shoot, like literally. They can’t elevate the puck unless it’s a one timer, and then they can’t hit the net.

Another thing i noticed, as i finished up my season: A.I players develope much faster than user players, and it has no logic either.

For example: I’m playing as Nucks, had Petterson finish tied for Ross with 112 points, and won Lindsay. Acquired Heiskanen and he had ppg season and won Norris. Kakko scored 50 and had 93 points for my Nucks.

Pettersson 90->91
Heiskanen 86->89
Kakko 81->86

No chances in trade value

Eichel had 90 points, didn’t make the second round of playoffs and no individual trophies, Dahlin had 50 points and was a minus player.

Eichel 90 ->93 maxed trade value
Dahlin 83->89 maxed trade value

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Franchise mode in '21 is unsalvageable garbage. So many glitches and just completely braindead logic. Guys getting $8m contracts out of their ELCs with no previous production. Teams constantly spending beyond the cap signing multiple players for the same roles. In later years the game stops producing NHL calibre players. Just a complete gongshow of bad development.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just played a drop in for the hell of it and that part of the game is dead, too. Goalie trolls and forwards that don't have a bloody clue where they need to be to receive a pass.

The game is fun when you can get two decent squads together, but you're sifting through dozens of poor quality games just to find one.

Kill the goalie next season in drops. That's for damn sure. Pure unmoderated hell.

Ryan_Habs_16

Jul 18, 2004
Have any of the glitches on NHL 21 been fixed? I am thinking of buying it but the glitches seem off putting. Is it unplayable? What are some of the glitches you guys have noticed? Thanks.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If anyone ever wants to play club 6's with me let me know. Add me on xbox my login is HUFBEAST would be nice to play with some people on here who actually know how to play hockey.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Have any of the glitches on NHL 21 been fixed? I am thinking of buying it but the glitches seem off putting. Is it unplayable? What are some of the glitches you guys have noticed? Thanks.

Not a "glitch" neccesarily but the switch player is absolutely awful and broken.

The gameplay overall (for offline) is very good, but the change player is an abomination - going to the wrong guy illogically. Playing on a high difficulty it costs you goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad