GDT: NHL 2024 Draft Lottery: Tuesday, May 7th, 6:30 pm | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, Fubo (live stream with free trial) (Habs pick 5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
MOD edit: Teams can move up maximum of 10 spots. It's a count down of all 16 teams that missed playoffs.

Current Draft Order:

16. St. Louis Blues
15. Detroit Red Wings
14. Pittsburgh Penguins (SJS own this pick due to Karlsson trade)
13. Minnesota Wild
12. Philadelphia Flyers
11. Buffalo Sabres
10. New Jersey Devils
9. Calgary Flames
8. Seattle Kraken
7. Ottawa Senators
6. Utah Hockey Club
5. Montreal Canadiens
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Anaheim Ducks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
1. San Jose Sharks

Just excited about the Celebrini sweepstakes. T-minus 3 days until we find out!

I have this horrible gut feeling Chicago or Utah wins 1st Ov.

Last edited by a moderator:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The only player I clearly do not want us to draft is Cole Eiserman, the rest I don't care or would not be mad even if it's a defenseman (even Silayev, ok I would be a tad dissapointed with him).

With Cole '3rd person' Eiserman, I sense a huge bust like Zadina or Dal Colle that will be out of the league before he turns 25. The red flags are everywhere but for some reason people just refuse to see them because of his stats.

He’s definitely a Jimmy.

1686451b-df6c-4e1c-8be2-5c270a980d3a_text.gif

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Me too. Just exploring all the different things we can try. Guhle for Zegras could have Sergachev for Drouin vibes with many of us. So would Reinbacher for Zegras.

All I know is if we add a Zegras type skill in our top 6, it's going to cost us. Some people say Zegras is not worth it as well. A debate for sure. If not him, then who?

Winning the lottery would change things to be easier for sure.
I am open to trading Ghule for a quality top line player. But Zegras is clearly not it.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't think any Habs fan would be disappointed with Iggy. I personally think he has less chance at disappointing than Lindstrom. I don't hate Lindstrom but the pedigree is not there for me. He does have a potential high ceiling if he becomes a monster type center but his base too me is low. I just wish there was more sample size (no injuries and he played U18's). Look at someone like Byfield. He had higher pedigree IMO and where do you think he tops out at? He's not even playing full time center for the Kings (not yet anyways). Had a decent season at age 21 and I believe it was on wing for most of it.. with Kopitar.

Flip the conversation and then consider that we still have not drafted a center in decades. Our two big pieces at center are with trades (Suzuki and Dach).

Imagine if the Ducks flipped things on us with all the Zegras talks.... They get the 3rd pick and ask us if we would trade Guhle for that pick. Imagine... we walk away with Demidov and Lindstrom but loose Guhle? Ducks fans have said that they are after improvements that help the team now. I don't like the idea of trading Guhle but there is a part of me that wonders what Hughes may be up to and what other teams spin back at us in trade talks.

What are the red flags that are everywhere with Eiserman? I'm curious to know this and I value context to support the statement of staying away from him? It really reminds me of F Forsberg or B Tkachuk. Remember all the "red flags" with B Tkachuk?
I definitely agree. I think Lidstrom ceiling is higher but i think Iginla floor is higher and also he's more certain to reach it. Iginla is pretty much wysiwyg. He'll probably become a 30-60 guys minimum and the probability for him to become that are very good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I definitely agree. I think Lidstrom ceiling is higher but i think Iginla floor is higher and also he's more certain to reach it. Iginla is pretty much wysiwyg. He'll probably become a 30-60 guys minimum and the probability for him to become that are very good.

Hard to say. I do think these kids are growing fast with some up/down movement and the timing of the draft can alter peoples opinions too much. It's tough to predict where a 17/18 year old will be at 20-23 age range. The best ingredient with development is how obsessive they are at improving and overcoming the challenges. Look at the time Slaf is putting in before and after practice (for example).

Could Iggy be just as good as his father? Why not? Is Jarome's wife also an athlete?

I am glad Gorton/Hughes and our scouts are making this pick. I see lots of options and I'm just not sure anymore. lol.

Reactions: LaP

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Tough to say that Marner doesn't give a shit when he's the leading scorer of the Leafs in the playoffs though....Seems to me that it's a question of mix. A Marner who would shoot more paired with a Suzuki.....would not look like he doesn't care...or so I think.

Yes, he needs a big, power forward to play with. Send him to Anaheim and play him with Gauthier & McTavish, and he's probably fine.

Anaheim has the assets, and I would definitely trade Zegras for Marner. They have young D they can add to it, and draft picks.

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
To be honest this year draft is not as exciting as next year. Aside from to 2, anyone from 3-11 can go any position.

I’m like meh, even the top 2 aren’t franchise players. We probably will win just like the 2022 draft.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I see it in a different way. If we don't win the lottery, it's likely we are picking 6 or 5. In this case, I see us potentially trading down to around 10 ish. That may add another late 1st and then we use those two 1st to move up to mid round ish. If Demidov & Lindstrom get picked before us, it's very possible Hughes banks on the D going and the forwards like Iggy, Catton, Eiserman fall to around 10. We trade down in a way where we get one of them for sure. That sort of thing.

However, I do think Gorton/Hughes are after guys who can help us now. For all we know, there is a handshake deal with the Ducks on Zegras and we are trading our pick for him if we don't win the lottery. Not sure if I like or dislike it but this could be a real possibility. 5-7 for Zegras.
Yeah we could trade down. I doubt we trade our 1st for a Zegras though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad