NHL 2020 Draft Happiness Poll

How happy are you with this draft

• 1- Terrible, Fire the scouting staff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Remove the Raymond pick and it was /meh. I voted #3.

Yzerman should have gone aggressively at trading up. He missed a few good choices by a sliver. Certainly he could've traded up with somebody....

I'll grade it C-
Raymond pick was hard to mess up

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Like the first 3 picks a lot. And a very solid goalie prospect. Slightly baffling the high volume a d picked but there is clearly a strategy in play here.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Somewhere between a 4 and a 5. Grade wise I would give it something like a B+ or A-. I like the way we navigated the first few rounds.

Still mad the lottery is trash and we can't get a center like Byfield that would be so huge from a teambuilding standpoint... but whatever.

Basically this.

Oct 18, 2006
Realistically anything beyond like the 3rd/4th round are total darts at the dartboard. If you get ANY NHL’ers that late it’s a huge success. I liked our early picks so that’s good enough.

It does hurt a little hearing Yzerman say some guys we wanted were taken right before our picks, but if we truly wanted them that bad he could’ve tried to trade up.

Overall pretty satisfied. I’ve just learnt to really temper expectations as realistically not many are gonna pan out. Rolling with that perspective really helps.

Reactions: RedMenace

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
3/5

loved raymond and neiderbach, would have gone for someone other than wallinder but im OK with it. Wanted a better goalie prospect. Drafting drapers son just looks stupid but 7th rounders are pretty valueless so whatever

Reactions: DetroitRed

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I gave it a 3. When you look at the drafts the Canes or Leafs had and compare it to our later round selections I don't think we can really argue that the Wings had a great 2nd day.

Raymond - Good, he was my 2nd choice behind Rossi and we didn't take Sanderson or Askarov (A)
Wallinder - Meh, not my first choice given the F on the board but he should be an interesting prospect (B)
Niederbach - Again, not my favorite, but he should be good to follow. I think he can definitely be a 2/3C (B)
Hanas - Big reach, even if you like him I think you trade down again for more assets or hope he's there at 70 or later. Interesting upside, great skill (D)
Sebrango - You can't have an Yzerman draft without his token 6'1 - 6'3 smooth skating two way D (C)
Eemil Viro - I don't hate it, but I'd have preferred Niemela if we were going Finish Dmen (C)
Sam Stange - Really dislike this pick. Limited upside, overager. (F)
Jan Bednar - Token goalie pick. Should be interesting to follow (B)
Alex Cotton - My favorite re-entry Dmen, I think he'll be fun to watch (A)
Kyle Aucoin - Really dislike this pick as well. He doesn't have a profile that porjects to even be an AHLer right now. I hope he proves me wrong (F)
Kienan Draper - THE WORST. I know 7ths are joked about as being valuless, but they do produce NHLers and wasting one on a family member is selfish. (F)
Chase Bradley - Know nothing about him, doesn't project well (D)

So, I guess that averages out to (2A+3B+2C+2D+3F) = 2.75/5 and a total of 33 out of 60 points(A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, and F=0). So I guess a C- would be appropriate. Given the draft capital the Wings had I really expected them to have a better draft and I'm getting shades of 2017 from some of our selections.
Pretty much agree across the broad, but I would boost the final grade a bit because I think viro is good value in the 3rd. I would definitely have taken more homerun swings late.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'm being too literal but I chose "could've been better" because they could've have 1st or 2nd overall.

But their pick at #4 seems good and I'm really happy with how many picks they had in this draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I picked 4 only due to the Covid-19 pandemic likely limiting the amount of scouting that could be done. Overall I am really happy with Hakan getting the best picks two years in a row and the overall focus on speed and skill. Yzerman built a dominant franchise in Tampa, I can't wait to see what he does here.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I wish we would have taken Jurmo but he didn’t go till 82 or something and I would have taken him at 45 or 56 at the latest, so what do I know. I liked Cotton and Bednar. Bednar had a bad save percentage but it was in a men’s league as a 17 year old. Some picks I don’t care for but I don’t know them so give it a year and maybe I will warm up to a couple more

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I forgot what is up with chase Bradley. Why did we like him so much at the end and trade for him. Is he another so

Reactions: Killerjas

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think they should have taken a goalie sooner instead of one of the wingers or defenders like Sebrango or Strange, I feel like those two guys were reaches anyway.

I am excited about the Raymond and Wallinder picks.

Beyond that, I also think they made some great decisions in rounds Two through Three on Niederbach and Viro. I think Cotton was a good late round choice.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Raymond was who I wanted (or JD) so big props there.
Wallinder and Niederbach are great picks.

Got to be honest, the rest of the picks are head scratchers to me.

Can we start drafting some decent goaltending prospects for once? There's really no excuse why this organization let 9 other goaltenders get selected before they got one.
This is exactly how I feel....

Instead of trading down multiple times to get more darts to throw, I would have preferred that they traded up and picked a goalie. I would take Commesso or Blomqvist over all of the picks past #51 (Niederbach) COMBINED.

You gotta figure someone would do a top 50 pick for #55, 63, 70, 97, 107, 132, 156, and 187.

I think there is a lesson here though. The Wings are going to have to commit to using a 2nd rd pick on a goalie next draft. All of these mock drafts had the goalies going in the 3rd, but reality shows that teams place more value on goalies than the mock drafts.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Voted a 4.

High on picks 4-107. Mehh on everyone else. Feels like the org must be way higher on our forward scoring potential than external sources are, including me, but it’s hard to tell. Gut was at like 3.5 but if the Hanas pick was Guschin, Pashin, or Foudy I’d have said a 5, so I split the difference.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Remove the Raymond pick and it was /meh. I voted #3.

Yzerman should have gone aggressively at trading up. He missed a few good choices by a sliver. Certainly he could've traded up with somebody....

I'll grade it C-

Just wanted to do a rebuttal on my own post. By Yzerman's own acknowledgment he did miss out on some players he was 'hopeful for' by just a few spots. He was "keeping his fingers crossed" only to lose out on them just before his selection. I have a few guesses who those players were.

Doesn't feel good hearing this from him.

Reactions: Filppula

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Thought it was great. I wanted Raymond and Wallinder going in, after that I liked the Niederbach pick and I can live with the fliers we took on the other LD in the third and Hanas looks like has has a lot of skill.

Overall I'm not gonna get butthurt about specific players we got in later rounds, we need high end centers, not just guys that play center, so picking up a bunch of LD and some skill players, that's huge.

We need a playmaker like Raymond on this team badly. Maybe we get lucky and get an elite center next year (or Shane Wright the next)

Reactions: Frk It

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
"How on earth did we pass on (insert player I watched five minutes of Youtube highlights who was drafted lower than expected)?! What were we thinking drafting (insert player I read one summary on who we 'reached on' in the middle rounds)?!"

Copy and paste this into every post-draft thread ever lol. You'd think we'd have a bit more humility after the Bertuzzi fiasco.

I trust my eyes to Dr. Ramani....you should too!

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

J15

Mar 18, 2009
I'm pretty happy with the picks in the first three rounds and don't really know enough about the rest of them to have a strong opinion either way. I'm a huge Wallinder fan, I think mobility is the biggest predictor of success for defensemen in today's NHL and he has that in spades. You just have to hope that the criticism about inconsistent effort is a matter of conditioning and not attitude, but the fact that they took him at 32 tells me the scouts think it's the former. That being said, I gave it a 4 because Yzerman himself seemed disappointed to miss on players that were within reach. The fact that he chose to bring it up without prompt tells me he felt pretty strongly about some of the players he missed on. I think in those situations I'd like to see him be aggressive, trust his instincts, and pay the price to get his guy -- but maybe I'm reading into his comments too much.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm pretty happy with the picks in the first three rounds and don't really know enough about the rest of them to have a strong opinion either way. I'm a huge Wallinder fan, I think mobility is the biggest predictor of success for defensemen in today's NHL and he has that in spades. You just have to hope that the criticism about inconsistent effort is a matter of conditioning and not attitude, but the fact that they took him at 32 tells me the scouts think it's the former. That being said, I gave it a 4 because Yzerman himself seemed disappointed to miss on players that were within reach. The fact that he chose to bring it up without prompt tells me he felt pretty strongly about some of the players he missed on. I think in those situations I'd like to see him be aggressive, trust his instincts, and pay the price to get his guy -- but maybe I'm reading into his comments too much.
He probably thought he'd get a decent goalie in the 3rd round...

It's the only significant "miss".

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

No, he mentioned it twice. He was definitely frustrated about missing out on a few players. He even kind of paused before saying he felt “satisfied” with the draft. Definitely does not feel we hit it out of the park.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at the draft as a whole now, I say I would probably settle in on a 4 or about a B+ for this draft. I really like the first 3 picks, those are 3 guys I was pulling for. After that, I liked the Viro, Hanas, and Cotton picks... but not so sure about the others. There are a bunch of defenseman that went after Sebrango that I liked better (Cormier, Jurmo, Kaiser) and a bunch of forwards that went after Stange that I liked better (Tullio, Chromiak, Vierling).

Reactions: firestarter

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was good until we picked Cross so early. I am okay with drafting him but he would have been on the board later and I think who was still on the board at that pick is going to look bad in 2-3 years. I don't know much about the later players but I am excited about the goalie. I give it a 4 very happy.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Like Viro, Raymond, Wallinder and Niederbach
So-So on Sebrango, Hanas and Bednar
Meh on Draper, Stange, Cotton and Bradley

I give it a 3.5. Kinda wanted Pashin, Jurmo Ovchinnikov, Johanneson

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad