Tampa
Bos

Florida
Leafs
Montreal
Buff

Detroit

Ottawa

I don’t care enough about the other divisions to pick but someone will win and someone will lose.

Although, IMO, Bos Wash and Tampa are they only SCF contenders in the east and a whole bunch in the west. Almost anyone that makes the playoffs in the west could get on a heater and win the Cup

Reactions: Blowfish

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Metro
1. Carolina
2. Washington
3. New York Islanders
4. New Jersey

5. New York Rangers
6. Philadelphia
7. Pittsburgh
8. Columbus

Atlantic
1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Florida

5. Montreal
6. Buffalo
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

Central
1. St. Louis
2. Colorado
3. Dallas
4. Nashville
5. Chicago

6. Winnipeg
7. Minnesota

Pacific
1. Vegas
2. Calgary
3. San Jose

4. Vancouver
5. Arizona
6. Edmonton
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Metro

1. Washington
2. Carolina
3. Pittsburgh
4. Philadelphia (WC)
5. NYI
6. New Jersey
7. NYR
8. Columbus

Atlantic

1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Florida (WC)
5. Buffalo
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

Central

1. Nashville
2. St. Louis
3. Colorado
4, Dallas (WC)
5. Winnipeg (WC)
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota

Pacific

1. San Jose
2. Calgary
3. Las Vegas
4. Vancouver
5. Arizona
6. Edmonton
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Metro:
Carolina
Washington
Isles
Devils
Penguins
Rangers
Jackets
Flyers

Atlantic:
Tampa
Toronto
Florida
Boston
Montreal
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Pacific:
Vegas
Calgary
San Jose
Arizona
Vancouver
Anaheim
Edmonton
LA

Central:
St. Louis
Nashville
Minnesota
Chicago
Dallas
Colorado
Winnipeg

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
“Another person who has clearly never watched a game”

I’m more than willing to be proven wrong. I missed badly on them last year, that doesn’t mean people have to get testy because I feel a certain way.

99% of HF boards automatically assume the NYI are terrible. No matter what they do. You obv fit into that mold. But to think 103 pt team would now be worse than CBJ NYR NJD makes no sense.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
99% of HF boards automatically assume the NYI are terrible. No matter what they do. You obv fit into that mold. But to think 103 pt team would now be worse than CBJ NYR NJD makes no sense.

Team ran the pdo latter. Flames fans said the same thing a few years back after the 2014-15 season and ending up regressing badly. They have quite a bit to prove, but I’m always open to being proven wrong.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Team ran the pdo latter. Flames fans said the same thing a few years back after the 2014-15 season and ending up regressing badly. They have quite a bit to prove, but I’m always open to being proven wrong.

They didnt win bc of PDO. They won because theyre 4 lines deep and 6 D deep... and barry trotz

But as you said we shall see...

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

You don't have to agree, but to say that it flat out doesn't make sense to rank NYI behind those teams is burying your head in the sand. You know there are red flags in their analytics and it's not like we don't have recent example of a team going deep with bad underlying numbers and crashing back down to earth the next season.

Will they definitely fall? No. Is it completely rational for someone to look at what happened last season and come to the conclusion that they might? Yes.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Metro

1. Caps
2. Penguins
3. Canes
4. x-Devils
5. NYR
6. Flyers
7. NYI
8. CBJ

Tough division. NYR are a wild card that could really bounce back and wouldn't be surprised to see them make it. Devils made huge strides while I see the Isles taking a step back. I see 7 teams with over .500 records

Atlantic

1. TB
2. Leafs
3. Panthers
4. x-Bruins
5. Canadiens
6. Sabres
7. Red Wings
8. Sens

Easier division to forecast. I expect Quennville to work his magic and get the Panthers into the Playoffs. Sabres on the rise IMO and Bruins are tired from a long run

Central

1. Blues
2. Avs
3. Stars
4. x-Preds
5. x-Hawks
6. Jets
7. Wild

Another tough division IMO...Jets lost too much D and Wild finish last cause someone has to. Hawks on the rise.

Pacific

1. Vegas
2. SJ
3. Flames
4. Yotes
5. Oilers
6. Nucks
7. Ducks
8. Kings

Weak division. Vegas the clear cut favorite, Calgary a slight step back. SJ is SJ...Arizona misses by a hair for the playoffs.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
You don't have to agree, but to say that it flat out doesn't make sense to rank NYI behind those teams is burying your head in the sand. You know there are red flags in their analytics and it's not like we don't have recent example of a team going deep with bad underlying numbers and crashing back down to earth the next season.

Will they definitely fall? No. Is it completely rational for someone to look at what happened last season and come to the conclusion that they might? Yes.

Of course nobody knows, it's just funny to read the same thing every single season. The majority of these predictions have the Rangers and Devils making 20 to 30 point jumps and the Isles dropping 25 points with the same team from last year.

The underlying analytics angle is so poorly used. What bad stats? A PDO of 101.9 and a CF% right around 48%? Pretty much the exact numbers of the Trotz-led Capitals SC team? They were 24th in Corsi and had a high PDO. Maybe it's the way Trotz runs his teams? Or the other teams with +101 PDO from last year like the Capitals, Lightning, Leafs, and Penguins?

I'm not saying anything about you... I have my doubts too. It's just people that have a predetermined notion about how we will finish and sort some stat tables a couple of ways to prove their point and boom. I can sort stat tables that show how difficult we were to score against (usually tied to sustainability) and point to that. It's just that a 103-point team is unanimously being picked to miss the playoffs and in most scenarios, picked to be dead last in the division. I'm not tallying it up, but I'd guess we average around 7th place in these predictions. And we have the exact same team. Columbus lost their two best players and they are picked ahead of us across the board. They won't regress, but we will.

Again. I expect it. I pencil us in as a wild card team, but it's like this board has us hard coded into last place without much thought besides 'overachieved'. The problem is -- we are boring. Not a lot of flashy names, not an exciting game to watch. People love to look at rookies that haven't played a game yet and this shiny new toy is going to be good for a 20 point jump in the standings.

Reactions: Hunn

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Weird how you mention all 18 skaters and the coach, but not the Vezina nominee they lost. He didn't help win I guess?

It's not like we aren't worried about the goalie switch, but this is one of the more revisionist things on HF. People LAUGHED when we grabbed Lehner last year. Then our coaching staff and our defense/system turned him into a Vezina nominee. So now he leaves and we expect someone with a more proven history now than Lehner had going into last year is suddenly this massive downgrade. Did you take a look at Greiss' numbers last year? How the f*** did he have the same numbers as Lehner?

I'm concerned about Varly's injuries, but massively less concerned than what Lehner was going to be going into last year, on and off the ice.

This would all make sense if we took some ridiculous goalie and made him look good on a bad team and then lost him. We took a guy that NOBODY wanted and then that same coaching staff that turned him into the Vezina nominee actively decided that they didn't want him and wanted Varlamov, even though Lehner was vocal about wanting to return.

Reactions: SteveH124

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Ok maybe they were a fluke....why arent the canes a fluke? And why are the jackets stills a better team? And how have the 1 line no D rangers gained 30+ points?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Atlantic

Tampa
Bos

Florida
Leafs
Montreal
Buff

Detroit

Ottawa

I don’t care enough about the other divisions to pick but someone will win and someone will lose.

Although, IMO, Bos Wash and Tampa are they only SCF contenders in the east and a whole bunch in the west. Almost anyone that makes the playoffs in the west could get on a heater and win the Cup

I don't think there is much of a separation between Boston and the Leafs that you make here.

Florida having BOB and that young still rising forward group makes it very interesting as well.

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
Metro

1. Washington
2. Carolina
3. New Jersey
4. Pittsburgh
5. NY Islanders
6. NY Rangers
7. Philadelphia
8. Columbus

Atlantic

1. Tampa Bay
2. Boston
3. Toronto
4. Florida (WC)
5. Buffalo (WC)
6. Montreal
7. Detroit
8. Ottawa

Central

1. Nashville
2. St. Louis
3. Colorado
4, Dallas (WC)
5. Chicago
6. Winnipeg
7. Minnesota

Pacific

1. San Jose
2. Las Vegas
3. Calgary
4. Vancouver (WC)
5. Arizona
6. Edmonton
7. Anaheim
8. Los Angeles

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think there is much of a separation between Boston and the Leafs that you make here.

Florida having BOB and that young still rising forward group makes it very interesting as well.

As a long time Leafs fan I beg to differ. I like Boston’s skilled players and depth much better than the Leafs.

Having said that, the Bs may have a hangover and miss the playoffs. But we know the Leafs have some internal red flags all over the place.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As a long time Leafs fan I beg to differ. I like Boston’s skilled players and depth much better than the Leafs.

Having said that, the Bs may have a hangover and miss the playoffs. But we know the Leafs have some internal red flags all over the place.

Every team has a weakness.

For Boston it's father time for some of their most important players in Chara, Bergeron and Krejci are entering the time frame where drop offs are going to happen.

Also I'm not sure Boston has more depth either, both teams forwad groups are deep

The Leaf red flags can be overblown because they are the Leafs.

Their back end will probably be better this year and their forward group is still young and can get better.

The key might be Nylander from day 1 as last season just was a disaster for him.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Every team has a weakness.

For Boston it's father time for some of their most important players in Chara, Bergeron and Krejci are entering the time frame where drop offs are going to happen.

Also I'm not sure Boston has more depth either, both teams forwad groups are deep

The Leaf red flags can be overblown because they are the Leafs.

Their back end will probably be better this year and their forward group is still young and can get better.

The key might be Nylander from day 1 as last season just was a disaster for him.

I think Boston will give it one more kick at the can.

Leafs were under 500 from Dec.01 onward last year and had a brutal record against the top 10 defensive teams - something like 12 and 25 and squeaked into the playoffs. They got rid of some of the dead weight, but the core is still there and they’re soft as butter. Also, Babcock is still there.
It’d be borderline a sports miracle if they won the east, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad