NHL 2017/18 Team Rankings

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Willmma Can you supply a link to where you are updating the ELO for the NHL The link in the OP take me to Wikipedia but no update on NHL standings.

Thanks

Hey. So yes, like Nizdizzle said, I am updating the first post with the latest rankings. The link to wiki just explains the ELO system.

I am planning on creating a website with the rankings that would keep a history and would allow you to see "trends" of how the rankings changed over time in the season.
And if that goes well I will add other sports like NBA NFL and MLB, but that will take a few weeks to complete.

For now I will keep updating the first post :)

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Updated for Dec 15
and I learned how to use tables here :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: pvr

migi

Feb 25, 2015
My team is better in ELO than current format.

So lets change shall we?

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
How exactly are some teams ahead of others but have worse records/stats?

Besides a few odd ones its pretty accurate

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How exactly are some teams ahead of others but have worse records/stats?

Besides a few odd ones its pretty accurate
It's based on head-to-head matchups to determine ranking. So beating the Lightning is worth more in ELO than beating the Coyotes (for instance). Meanwhile, losing to the Lightning doesn't hurt as much as losing to the Coyotes.

Reactions: willmma

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
T

That's an interesting observation. Islanders must have had a tougher schedule.
Not necessarily tougher schedule, but tougher wins/fewer weak losses.

I meant to ask - is there any way to get this based on Regulation wins? I feel like that would be more informative (and treat OT/SO as ties).

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Not necessarily tougher schedule, but tougher wins/fewer weak losses.

I meant to ask - is there any way to get this based on Regulation wins? I feel like that would be more informative (and treat OT/SO as ties).

I've wondered about that. Elo, is made for chess as you know. A win is a win.its binary, a team scores 1 for a win and 0 for a loss.

I always struggled with the idea OT or SO wins. Do I still score them as 1? How about a loss, still a 0? I feel like keeping the binary scoring keeps it honest and keeps my influence away from the rankings. If I remove OT or SO wins then that will influence the results. I could use the NHL point system W=2, OTL & SOL=1, L=0. Or a 3 point system. In any case any of those will introduce my bias, or influence in the scoring.

That said, My code scrapes game results from the Internet, it can tell if a win is regulation or not regulation, but can't differentiate between OT or SO wins. I can for fun, have it ignore this wins and losses, and see how it looks. But I won't change the main rankings in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->