GDT: NHL 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why did we get the 25th pick and Montreal the 26th in 2014 when we won the Presidents' trophy (let alone the division) and they didn't even make the finals, then? We should've picked 29th by those criteria, or at the very best 26th, if tiebreaker between division winners was who made it the furthest, as opposed to who had the most points.

So first, 2014 was special because of the whole Kovalchuk penalty being voided so NJ got pick 30 by default

Also by Division winner they mean in the playoffs not regular season, so whoever makes it to the conference championship and loses. Regular season record splits these two. Montreal had less points than Chicago that year. Which is an odd thing to think that if Nashville gets to the conference finals, they are technically the Pacific division champs. Same for the NYI and Atlantic

25 (26) - BOS (Best record of losing in round 2)
26 (27) - MON (ECF Losers)
27 (28) - CHI (WCF Losers)
28 (29) - NYR (Cup Losers)
29 (30) - LAK (Cup Winners)
30 - NJ (Kovalchuk blah blah)

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All I want is St. Louis to annihilate Chicago. Don't care how. Prefer it to be painful.

It would be huge for Saint Louis to finally beat Chicago as that would make the West wide open with LAK also gone.

What is killing me is the East

This morning you can't find a single Caps fan that isn't worried - Pittsburgh should advance against NYR and the Islanders look like they will knock Florida out.

Would the Bruins have fared better against Tampa Bay than Detroit? I believe they would have.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It would be huge for Saint Louis to finally beat Chicago as that would make the West wide open with LAK also gone.

This morning you can't find a single Caps fan that isn't worried - Pittsburgh should advance against NYR and the Islanders look like they will knock Florida out.

Would the Bruins have fared better against Tampa Bay than Detroit? I believe they would have.

Other than some undisciplined penalties, one of which led to a rather fluky PP goal for Philly, Washington dominated that game. The only thing more lopsided than the shots on goal were the shot attempts.

Neuvirth stole that game, plain and simple.

I know it's hard not to panic when the team is on the road for another game when they could've been at home resting had they won.

Dallas is in the same boat, only unlike Washington, their goaltending and defense Friday definitely give reason for concern.

And yes, I believe Boston definitely would have fared better than Detroit. Their biggest concern seemed to be their beloved streak.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Other than some undisciplined penalties, one of which led to a rather fluky PP goal for Philly, Washington dominated that game. The only thing more lopsided than the shots on goal were the shot attempts.

Neuvirth stole that game, plain and simple.

I know it's hard not to panic when the team is on the road for another game when they could've been at home resting had they won.

Dallas is in the same boat, only unlike Washington, their goaltending and defense Friday definitely give reason for concern.

And yes, I believe Boston definitely would have fared better than Detroit. Their biggest concern seemed to be their beloved streak.

11 shots in a playoff game...and they win? Brutal, Caps were all over the Flyers, Neuvirth stole it as you mentioned

Not to try and rattle any cages but I just disagree this Bruins team would have fared much better vs the Bolts

The B`s were able to rarely put a string of consistently solid games together, I think the Wings were able to match the Bolts speed and THAT for me is ultimately where the Bolts would have won in pretty much the same way and if the B`s had of played the Caps, might have only gotten 10 shots :)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Nope.

At least the Wings had the skating and speed to keep up with the Bolts and keep it interesting with the accelerated pace of play, even if they didn't have the talent to beat a red-hot Bishop.

With the amped up pace the Bolts would of skated circles around the Bruins, in particular Boston's D.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Nope.

At least the Wings had the skating and speed to keep up with the Bolts and keep it interesting with the accelerated pace of play, even if they didn't have the talent to beat a red-hot Bishop.

With the amped up pace the Bolts would of skated circles around the Bruins, in particular Boston's D.

And as I watch the playoffs and remember our trade deadline, it concerns me to how out of touch they were. What a waste.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

On the other hand, Chicago coming back to win the series will mean changes coming in St Louis. You just never know who will then become available.

As a Bruins fan, hope it's not Doug Armstrong

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
On the other hand, Chicago coming back to win the series will mean changes coming in St Louis. You just never know who will then become available.

As a Bruins fan, hope it's not Doug Armstrong

Best case scenario for Bruins:

WCF Nashville vs Chicago

MN, Anaheim, St. Louis might all make big changes if they don't get out of round 1, all three have nice D and were rumoured to be in talks with Boston at the deadline...

And this improves SJ pick. MN was lower than SJ so theoretically would like to see move on, but that hurts the whole "making changes" theme I'm going with. Although, without Parise in the lineup, losing in the first round as a wild card may not force changes to begin with.

Eastern Conference: Anyone but Florida and Washington. Keep those division winners losing and they still pick after SJ. Ideally, TB and Philly but I don't see Philly overcoming Washington nevermind making it to the conference final.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
This will be the year San Jose finally puts it together and makes it to the Finals, and of course that 1st round pick we got from them for Jones keeps going down the crapper, worse and worse. Still not agree with the trade, but thats just our luck that this year SJ will probably make a deep run

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm just glad we don't even have to think about Montreal in the playoffs in a year when the best teams are looking beatable.That would be a ****ing nightmare.

Thought LA was winning the Cup this year and they win one freaking playoff game and out.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Kings probably hate us. We trade for Jones, then we trade Jones to SJ who then beats LA in the 1st round...and Looch probably walks into free agency after one year.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Kings probably hate us. We trade for Jones, then we trade Jones to SJ who then beats LA in the 1st round...and Looch probably walks into free agency after one year.

Jones wasn't really the difference maker though. Pavelski owns the Kings. Toffoli and Doughty combine for 0-2-2 -10.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They need to get Doughty some help.

That Kings D without Martinez was weak. Rob Scuderi on the top pair. I think I'd rather have Kevan Miller.

3 of the 6 guys they iced in Game 5 were healthy scratches earlier in the year (Scuderi, Schenn, and McBain).

One could argue 4 of the 6 (including McNabb) are 3rd pairing guys.

Your not going to win anything with a unbalanced D group. As the Kings and Bruins have now found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad