NHL 19: Wish List

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Worse AI. I can't believe people still complain the AI suck. They're unstoppable and it ruined the online experience besides club.
I've noticed this as well. A lot of times 4 or 5 of the of the opposing team's players will quit once they're down by a couple of goals and you end up losing the game against a bunch of CPUs making non-stop perfect one-touch passes all over the ice.

I love the idea of the defensive skill stick but it could use a lot of refinement, because in its current state it's clunky, too risky to use all that much and the stick feels oddly 'heavy', like I'm swinging a sword at someone.

Oh, and make the EASHL Coach less of a ****ing moronic ******bag. I'll spend the entire game finding the open man, covering for guys defensively, supporting guys on board battles, forcing turnovers, never hanging onto the puck too long, never calling for passes and still get a C on team play because of some phantom "missed assignment"

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
One thing I would really love is giving the user more creative controls, especially when it comes to creating players, teams, arenas, etc.

The best "face creator" I ever saw was many years ago in an EA Sports Tiger Woods golf game. Not sure why EA can't replicate this engine for the NHL series. Once you pick a face, you should be able to make it thinner, fatter, shorter, longer, etc.

The "Create A Team" needs to become more robust as well. For starters, there should be way more Arena options:

- Ability to create the following arenas: Vintage (no logos on ice / boards), Outdoor, European/International sized

- Ability to choose any arena as the starting point, then modify. For example, you can start with the Bell Center in Montreal, but change the seat colors, logo at center ice, banners, etc.

- Ability to change bumper colors from yellow to any other color, in the event you wanted to re-create the old Montreal Forum or Quebec Colisee (they used light blue bumpers).

- Ability to import logos for boards, center ice, banners, etc.

- Ability to add "arena name" to center ice. You can choose from various fonts, sizes, colors, layout, etc.

- Ability to change seat color patterns. There should be many different layouts for all levels in the arena, club box, etc. Not just 5 different seat settings.

As for the teams themselves, there needs to be more vintage logos and you every vintage jersey in the engine should be able to be used as a starting point. There are certain jersey layouts that don't exist in the create a team mode (example: The Canucks "V" jerseys). You should be able to select them as your base, and edit them accordingly, instead of starting from scratch.

Also, more player names in the database. Every NHL player and team in history, or most, should be in the database to choose from.

- There should be many more equipment options as well: old sticks, old equipment, old skates, old waffle boards, old goalie masks

- Ability to create "helmetless players" in the event you are creating a vintage team

- Robust goalie mask creator, using team logos, colors, airbrush effects, etc.

There should also be the ability to share your downloads with others online. If I create the old Montreal Forum, I should be able to share it with another user who can download it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've decided to do a full Franchise Mode wishlist.

1. I'll start nice and easy. Make the All-Star game playable. Doesn't make sense that it isn't. I don't expect anything fancy like a skills competition or anything, but just let me play the damn game. A pop up in September being like "_____ is the host city for the All-Star game" would be neat too.

2. Trade Deadline Day. Literally take a page from the Transfer Deadline Day in Fifa. Give players 8 to 10 "hours" to simulate through. It stops, and every hour there's new trades, new offers, and time for you to offer deals, or even sign free agents if needed. Again, nothing fancy, but it make it more than any other calander day.

3. Scouting. It's rumored an overhaul is coming this year, which is awesome. Give me more scouts, and make it more reasonable. If I send a scout to the WHL, they should be watching all the players in the league, not ignoring the forwards and defense to just watch the goalie. There used to be a thing where before the draft, the scout would give a list of 5 players to target. That would be another nice and easy readdition.

4. Other leagues. There is 0 reason why the European Leagues, or the ECHL aren't tied into the Franchise Mode other than laziness. You don't need to make them playable leagues, or in depth viewing of them, but allow me to send my European Prospects to the SHL to develop. Let me see the random 26 year old who had a huge year in the SHL, and consider signing him. Let Calle Rosen tell me who won't re-sign because he wants to go back to Sweden.

5. A Universe. This sounds complicated, but it's not. In NBA 2K My GM Mode, during the off-season there is a GM Meetings screen, where 5 different changes are either approved or rejected by the collective GM's. It can be something as big as Expansion/Relocation, something insane like eliminating the shot clock, or something minor like tweaking the draft lottery odds. It adds a variable where no matter if you play 10 gm modes all with the same team, things will different.

6. Speaking of the Draft Lottery, it'd be cool to make it some what interactive rather than a quick screen showing the order. Even as simple as the screen coming up, and you need to press "a"/"x" to reveal each pick. However a full show feel like 2K NBA does would be ideal as well.

7. CPU GM AI. I'll give EA credit, this is something that has come a long way over the year. However, keep improving it. That's all :)

8. Storylines. One of the big things I watch for on my GM Modes, is Tavares. In some plays, he re-signs. In some he gets traded to a new team, and then goes to FA. In some he just goes to FA and signs with a team. However, this interesting thing really has no support from the game. Again, I'm not asking for a breaking news super show or anything, but it'd be nice if a 88+ player goes on the trade block, an thing pops up telling you that, or if a 88+ player re-signs, it tells you that, or if a 88+ player gets traded, it tells you that.

8A. As a continuation, please make the news feed more prominent, and overall better. You have a deal with NBC, have Bob McKenzie, and Pierre Lebrun and Darren Dreger in there instead of "anonymous insider". Have some player accounts. Make re-signings and trades and stuff the main focus rather than the "he got 2 points, what a game!" stuff.

9. Roster Sharing. Just put it in. Let the community do the weekly roster updates we crave. Every month or two isn't enough. Let the community share their rosters/ratings, and take the pressure off. Turn the server off when the next game launches every year.

That's all right now. I'm sure I'm missing stuff though

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

1. I'll start nice and easy. Make the All-Star game playable. Doesn't make sense that it isn't. I don't expect anything fancy like a skills competition or anything, but just let me play the damn game. A pop up in September being like "_____ is the host city for the All-Star game" would be neat too.

2. Trade Deadline Day. Literally take a page from the Transfer Deadline Day in Fifa. Give players 8 to 10 "hours" to simulate through. It stops, and every hour there's new trades, new offers, and time for you to offer deals, or even sign free agents if needed. Again, nothing fancy, but it make it more than any other calander day.

3. Scouting. It's rumored an overhaul is coming this year, which is awesome. Give me more scouts, and make it more reasonable. If I send a scout to the WHL, they should be watching all the players in the league, not ignoring the forwards and defense to just watch the goalie. There used to be a thing where before the draft, the scout would give a list of 5 players to target. That would be another nice and easy readdition.

4. Other leagues. There is 0 reason why the European Leagues, or the ECHL aren't tied into the Franchise Mode other than laziness. You don't need to make them playable leagues, or in depth viewing of them, but allow me to send my European Prospects to the SHL to develop. Let me see the random 26 year old who had a huge year in the SHL, and consider signing him. Let Calle Rosen tell me who won't re-sign because he wants to go back to Sweden.

5. A Universe. This sounds complicated, but it's not. In NBA 2K My GM Mode, during the off-season there is a GM Meetings screen, where 5 different changes are either approved or rejected by the collective GM's. It can be something as big as Expansion/Relocation, something insane like eliminating the shot clock, or something minor like tweaking the draft lottery odds. It adds a variable where no matter if you play 10 gm modes all with the same team, things will different.

6. Speaking of the Draft Lottery, it'd be cool to make it some what interactive rather than a quick screen showing the order. Even as simple as the screen coming up, and you need to press "a"/"x" to reveal each pick. However a full show feel like 2K NBA does would be ideal as well.

7. CPU GM AI. I'll give EA credit, this is something that has come a long way over the year. However, keep improving it. That's all :)

8. Storylines. One of the big things I watch for on my GM Modes, is Tavares. In some plays, he re-signs. In some he gets traded to a new team, and then goes to FA. In some he just goes to FA and signs with a team. However, this interesting thing really has no support from the game. Again, I'm not asking for a breaking news super show or anything, but it'd be nice if a 88+ player goes on the trade block, an thing pops up telling you that, or if a 88+ player re-signs, it tells you that, or if a 88+ player gets traded, it tells you that.

8A. As a continuation, please make the news feed more prominent, and overall better. You have a deal with NBC, have Bob McKenzie, and Pierre Lebrun and Darren Dreger in there instead of "anonymous insider". Have some player accounts. Make re-signings and trades and stuff the main focus rather than the "he got 2 points, what a game!" stuff.

9. Roster Sharing. Just put it in. Let the community do the weekly roster updates we crave. Every month or two isn't enough. Let the community share their rosters/ratings, and take the pressure off. Turn the server off when the next game launches every year.

That's all right now. I'm sure I'm missing stuff though

10. Franchise mode for all other leagues, like in FIFA.

Reactions: Edenjung

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015

You probably already know this, but both of those were in the game previously. I think NHL 14 was the last one with the trade deadline day and you had a number of phones based on your GM level. You simmed through the day at like an hour or 2 at a time and offers would come in on the phones. Just wanted to put it out there that these were features that were mysteriously removed once the game went from X360/PS3 to X1/PS4.

Reactions: Bruce Joker

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
How about change superstar mode so that the other team plays a better system rather than being lazy and giving them god-tier poke checking, accuracy, anticipation, puck movement, puck luck, bounces, and body checking all while turning my players into braindead potatoes and my goalie into a .700 save percentage average block of Swiss cheese?

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
How about change superstar mode so that the other team plays a better system rather than being lazy and giving them god-tier poke checking, accuracy, anticipation, puck movement, puck luck, bounces, and body checking all while turning my players into braindead potatoes and my goalie into a .700 save percentage average block of Swiss cheese?
This is the main reason I don't play the single player modes very much. On the first two or three difficulty levels I just dominate every game to the point that it's boring, but as soon as I bump it up one more the game becomes borderline unplayable.

I think I could get into Franchise Mode but I find simming takes way too long, has too many interruptions and I have to intervene in every other game or I'll wind up with a losing record even with the best roster in the league (are the results just randomized?). It'd be great if you could plan all of your scouting out at the beginning of the season, and maybe give more instruction like focusing on certain player types or skills instead of just "Russian defensemen" or whatever (why are they limited to one position in the first place? If they're watching defensemen in that league.... are they not also seeing a few forwards and goalies?)

Oh, and shortened seasons. Either pro-rate stats to 82 games or just put a disclaimer up saying that playing 40 game seasons (or whatever the number is) will screw with record keeping, but there needs to at least be an option not to have to play 82 freaking games. I might be thinking of one of the NHL 2K games, but I'm sure you used to be able to do this.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
My main complaint is teammate AI. I want guys to skate to where they're supposed to be on the ice and not sit still in the offensive zone. Have AI players attempt to get open or initiate cycles. That would go a long way towards making this game playable, everything is so linear and repetitive at the moment.

Reactions: kirkm

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Please EA for the love of GOD let me control the extra attacker on a delayed penalty when playing Goalie. It would force teams to regroup and attack adding another dimension to the gameplay. Right now the extra attacker is largely ignored in EASHL I almost never leave the ice anymore as a goalie because the puck is touched up before I even get to the bench.

This should be an easy fix. I’m not asking them to reinvent the wheel here.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
It's a shame because I actually like the NHL 3's gameplay and it's potential within the Franchise. However, it's extremely annoying that the difficulty scale and the point scaling doesn't match or appear to be close. Playing on Superstar nets you a positive 3% in scoring... That's just ludicrous considering the difficulty increase from All-Star to Superstar! What were you thinking? Must've never played the game on Superstar is my guess. I'm that good and I win on Superstar, however it's extremely annoying when I do and scored 2 stars after winning 3-1... I just whooped your A.I. on the hardest difficulty and you give me 2 stars!? Play your game and fix the dumb shit...

I'm this hostile because I've played a superior version of this exact same god damn game in 2014. In fact, I think that game was superior because it had GM connected. Actually it had a superior Franchise mode as well. The current iteration is a shell of it's former self. Everyone that works on this game should be ashamed. I'd never include it on my resume, it's a terrible niche game. Which is the only reason it gets any retail sales at all....

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24

kirkm

Oct 31, 2013
My main complaint is teammate AI. I want guys to skate to where they're supposed to be on the ice and not sit still in the offensive zone. Have AI players attempt to get open or initiate cycles. That would go a long way towards making this game playable, everything is so linear and repetitive at the moment.
They will focus on a new flashy feature or ways to cash in on HUT and the AI will be the same. Same story every year unfortunately. AI improvements have been on the top of my list for several years. I'll be sticking with NHL18 for at least this year.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Best time I ever had was when I played the "All Montreal Canadiens" team several years back when the game honoured the franchise on their 100th anniversary. Lafleur, Beliveau, Richard, Harvey, Plante, Dryden, etc. That was also the only time I won the Stanley Cup playing that game, lol.

My wish would be that they allowed full seasons for specific eras: Have a 1954-55 season, so Richard, Beliveau, Howe, Lindsay, etc. could play against each other. Have a 1971-72 season so you can have the six new expansion teams (well, eight expansion teams since Vancouver and Buffalo came in '71), Orr, Esposito, Hull, etc. Then have a 1979-80 season so you can have the Islander dynasty, Gretzky, Lafleur, Lukowich (lol), etc. Then the 1989 season for Lemieux, Brett Hull, L.A. Gretzky, Roy... you see where I'm going with this.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
You probably already know this, but both of those were in the game previously. I think NHL 14 was the last one with the trade deadline day and you had a number of phones based on your GM level. You simmed through the day at like an hour or 2 at a time and offers would come in on the phones. Just wanted to put it out there that these were features that were mysteriously removed once the game went from X360/PS3 to X1/PS4.

That last game before this current gen came out has been the best as far as features in the single player modes. There was absolutely no reason some of that stuff couldn’t have been included. Typical EA Really. Mainly focused on the money making modes which I have zero interest in.

Some changes I hope they make are:

Franchise:
Fix the morale system. The player reactions are stupid and I can’t imagine a team would lose morale for having the GM say have a good game.

Fix the scouting system and make it more user friendly. Why one scout.

Revamp the contract system and have a depth chart or allow you to look at the edit lines screen throughout the year. Just make it easier to plan your team during the off season especially when you get in later years with players you don’t know.

Be a Pro:

Getting better then what it was but there’s so much more they can do as long as they don’t go to pre-created character like madden. I want to create myself in the game I don’t want to play some random dude.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I want a gm mode similar to 2k. I want teams to tell me they arent interested in making any deals right now or if you want a certain player a player has to be coming back. If a team is winning and doing well or competing they shoud not want to make any major moves. Its 2018, how is not in our games. Trade value bars are stupid.

Reactions: Optimus Reim

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
HUT and it's counterparts has ruined all of the EA sports franchises.

I bought NHL 18 because I just got a PS4 in November, and had been playing NHL 15 on my old Xbox 360 up until then. The gameplay of NHL 15 was better imo, I just play NHL 18 to play online, and for the updated rosters in franchise mode.

I probably won't buy another NHL game until the rosters in NHL 18 are so outdated I can't stand it. It's pathetic that the main reason to buy the next iterations in these games is a simple f***ing roster update.

I would love a real Be a Pro mode that would rival NBA 2K. I am praying for 2K to get back into NHL games to force EA to improve.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I bought NHL 18 because I just got a PS4 in November, and had been playing NHL 15 on my old Xbox 360 up until then. The gameplay of NHL 15 was better imo, I just play NHL 18 to play online, and for the updated rosters in franchise mode.

I probably won't buy another NHL game until the rosters in NHL 18 are so outdated I can't stand it. It's pathetic that the main reason to buy the next iterations in these games is a simple ****ing roster update.

I would love a real Be a Pro mode that would rival NBA 2K. I am praying for 2K to get back into NHL games to force EA to improve.

Yup.

I'm probably not going to get another NHL game until they add the 32nd team.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

Yes yes yes. A thousand times yes.

This is game breaking stuff for me, as I only play single player.

If this is a part of 19, I won't get it. Simple as.

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
things I want for prospect/scouting;

-prospect that are created by the game need to be 17-18 year old, not 17-20 year old.
-scouting more than one league at same time, and more than one position ( I always skip the goalie scouting because of that)
-generated prospect need to be diversified.... every years after 2020, top 20 prospects come from WHL that is really annoying
-need name that fit with the country, I want norway prospect sound like they are norwegian, same things with all non-traditional hockey country.
-Need diferent type of players, now I feel every prospect have the same strengh/weakness
-Size of the player should do a difference on the ranking of the player (ex: Yamamoto, gaudreau, st-louis, etc.)
-more than 5 players on our watchlist
-have few euro on the Chl
-stats info on drafted and undrafted prospects who play on junior
-possibility to play our prospects on euro leagues
-I want a U20/U18 tournament
-Training camp for prospects before the preseason
-possibility to make a list for prospects before the draft

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I probably won't buy another NHL game until the rosters in NHL 18 are so outdated I can't stand it. It's pathetic that the main reason to buy the next iterations in these games is a simple ****ing roster update.

Same for me. I play all the sports games, MLB The Show, Madden, 2k NBA, NHL is by far the worst of them. It has the worst graphics, gameplay, in game commentary, updates, you name it on and on. All of the other games offer up to date statistics in game and commentary that reflects those statistics. NHL is the only one that does not. Its shamefully terrible in comparison, which really sucks because hockey is my favorite sport by a massive margin.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I think there could be an effective use of the pro scout instead of messing with my trading block without consent at his very own will. I suggest an optional, (monthly?) notification of players of interest that fit your own selected team situation (Rebuilder, Hopeful, Contender, Champion).

For example: You are a contender and the trade deadline is approaching. A trade offer like prompt appears showing 3 or so players who fit your trade block, or players who are hot on rebuilding teams/ upcoming ufa's. Etc. and etc. hope you get my point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad