NHL 19 open beta available until August 2nd

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
NHL 19 open beta is out right now on xbox and playstation, just go to their respective store pages and search NHL 19 or NHL 19 beta. You don't need a code to access it, it's open to the public. 21GB download for xbox, not sure how big it is on ps4.

NHL 19 Open Beta Announced - IGN
EA has announced that NHL 19 will be getting an open beta that is available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One starting today, July 26, and will run through August 2.

In this open beta, players will be able to experience The World of CHEL, a hub that introduces a unified progression and customization system for created players.

The World of CHEL includes the brand-new NHL ONES game mode, a 1v1v1 free-for-all mode without rules or stoppages, NHL THREES, and the EA SPORTS Hockey League 3v3 and 6v6 Drop-In, Clubs mode, and Online Versus mode.

Each game played contributes to your overall level and ranking and you are tasked to rise the ranks from "the ponds to the pros."

In the beta, players will be able to try out creating and competing with a player they can customize with 15 different traits and 21 different specialization. Goalies will be able to choose from six different traits and nine specializations.

Players can also customize their created athletes cosmetically with "hundreds of unlockable items like hoodies, jackets, parkas, and knits."

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Couldn't care less.

As long as they sell roster updates for $80 every year, I've sworn to never buy one of these again. Been over 5 years now.

These types of games should be redone every 3 years or so, with updates/patches along the way.

I spent $60 on Overwatch almost 3 years ago. Still play regularly, haven't spent a penny more on the game, and in that time they've added like 6 new characters, many new maps, and entire new events/playing modes.

This sports game model is outdated and a complete waste of money.

Raekwon

Nov 28, 2011
Glad they made poke checking harder. Averaging at least 10 penalty shots a game in threes haha

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Last NHL game I played was NHL2K7. That one had a great GM mode that made for a great drinking game with 2-3 friends if you had a few hours to kill.

The choice to not buy one since was pretty easy because I haven't had a console since PS2/XBox360 (besides my switch). Wonder why they never released for PC.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'll be honest, I downloaded it out of curiosity, realized it was multiplayer only, and then couldn't be bothered to care.

I mostly used the games as a GM simulator with a bit of actual hockey play splashed in...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Haven't played since the first next gen game was released. The actual gameplay sucked and it ruined the game for me and I haven't gotten into playing a NHL game since then. It sucks that it has come to this but it seems that EA doesn't actually listen to their audience

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Couldn't care less.

As long as they sell roster updates for $80 every year, I've sworn to never buy one of these again. Been over 5 years now.

These types of games should be redone every 3 years or so, with updates/patches along the way.

I spent $60 on Overwatch almost 3 years ago. Still play regularly, haven't spent a penny more on the game, and in that time they've added like 6 new characters, many new maps, and entire new events/playing modes.

This sports game model is outdated and a complete waste of money.

Yep, the whole thing is a money grab.
I remember first playing the Hockey Ultimate Team (card game) and thinking it was such a great idea. Then you play someone with Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Lidstrom, Roy, etc. because they spent more money on the game and inevitably lose. EA needs to change their model.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
With the extreme nerf to pokechecking, playing defense in 3 on 3 is nearly impossible. The only real way to play defense is to check them off the puck before they get set up in the zone. Once your opponent is set up you're at the mercy of the game. You just have to hope your goalie makes the save. If you pokecheck it you're almost certainly going to get a penalty, everyone just shrugs off body checks if they just hold the puck on their backhand and sticklift will typically work, the stick will be lifted, they just don't lose possession. They get it right back and it's just a minor inconvenience to have your stick lifted. You can't intercept passes reliably even if you're right in the passing lane and poke checks give your opponent a penalty shot. It's incredibly frustrating. I do like the changes they made to the skating, but everything else is brutal. You have to unlock the most basic of shit out of these stupid loot boxes rather than having access to them from the beginning. Yesterday I got an epic out of a loot box, and the epic was a mouthguard. The same exact mouthguard you unlocked right away in 18, just this time I had to get it out of a stupid bag. I like some of the new celebrations and I like the changes to the skating system. I didn't play a whole lot of 18 and I doubt I'll play any more of 19.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Threes isn't meant to be defensive honestly. It's helter skelter hockey.

I personally hate how the imbalance in AI (defensive AI in the neutral zone vs offensive AI on the rush/in the zone) still tilts heavily in favor of trapping players. You can't get in the zone well because of the brick wall the trap is since your AI is almost never in place/where you want it to be. Behind the net strategy set, yet two of my guys are on the right boards just ****ing standing there waiting for me to beat the entire team singlehandedly. You can't cycle because of that too because almost assured one of your players goes to the wrong spot and gets a pass picked off or you crushed by a check as you wait for someone to get open. Baconcountry's latest video outlines how he's concerned how this year's meta is gonna be another "sit back in the neutral zone and bore your opponent to death" type. He's probably right.

It was a no buy since i'm leaving to travel in October, but man how does the AI continue to stay so bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad