NHL 19 NHL 19 being rolled back to beta tuner for a limited time mid-January (UPDATE: Jan 18th-25th)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Didn't they fix the pushes from behind at some point? Me and a friend tried a few games last night and I lost count of the times where a slight push from behind made me lose control of the puck completely.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
They found a way to make this game worse? How is that possible. First time I’ve played in a couple weeks and nobody can pick up the puck and the goalies are horrific. It’s always been a bad game, but they really put some effort into this tuner to make it the worst game they could. Commendable job. Knocked it out of the park.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I mentioned it in the general thread, but they do have another tuner planned to come out soon. It was meant to come out last Friday but there were problems so I'm guessing it comes out Monday or Tuesday.

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback
UPDATE JANUARY 25: Late last night we caught an issue with one of the tuner changes not working properly and have postponed the release of it. We will provide more details when we get them.
Hey everyone,

First and foremost, thank you everyone for providing feedback regarding the Beta Tuner rollback. We received a significant amount of feedback from the entire community and have taken that feedback in as we work on our next tuner to help make the gameplay better for everyone.

While we have been hard at work collecting and digesting all the feedback from the surveys and written responses, we have also been working on getting the next tuner ready so we can get it in game as soon as possible.

We’re excited to announce that the next tuner update will be coming on January 25th at 02:00 AM PST/05:00 AM EST, which is tonight! The tuner will be built directly off of the feedback we received from the past two weeks. In order for us to do this quickly, you will once again see it as an update to Tuner 1.03 as we are first making the updates to online modes only, just as we did for the rollback. Entering any online experience, you will be asked to redownload that tuner to get the changes for the online modes. Offline players will still be able to choose any of the existing tuners they were using and use their own personal settings like they could before.

We will continue to monitor gameplay with this new foundation and will eventually put up a 1.04 tuner with final tuning that will be able to be used Offline as well.

First and foremost, this new tuner update will use the Beta Tuner (v1.00) as the foundation for gameplay. When going through the feedback, a lot of people preferred the core gameplay aspects of v1.00 especially related to both skating and hitting.

With Tuner v1.00 as the foundation, we will be making the following adjustments to align with feedback we received:
  • AI skaters will not perform defensive actions against active puck carriers
    • The Beta Tuner Rollback allowed this for the first 2-4 frames, which is why people saw the change in the AI
    • Note: the AI will maintain their skating aggression and positioning from the roll back as people preferred it as opposed to the past gameplay tuner
  • AI skaters will not commit penalties in Online VS or HUT
  • Reduced the chance ai skaters will put the puck over the glass for delay of game penalties in World of Chel
  • Added back in the forehand stick lift faceoff win speed increase
  • Added in the fix to the energy regained at the whistle so that we see more realistic rolling of lines
    • Many players commented that they felt they were able to stack their lines to use their top players more frequently, which provided less of a realistic experience.
  • Tuning fixes for AI Goalie logic for when to play the puck out of their net
    • Sometimes goalies were getting a little too aggressive; this will help prevent that
  • Added back in consistency for user goalies to transition to post hug at extreme facing directions
  • Tuned back in the penalty logic changes around trips
  • Tuned back in the pokecheck accuracy improvements
  • Split the difference on the stick lift penalty tuning so it will be between Tuner 1.00 and Tuner 1.03
    • A majority of the community mentioned that while stick lifts were too strong in the Beta Tuner, they were also causing too many penalties in 1.03 which made them less effective. This change should help find the proper balance for them.
  • Added back in puck pickup tuning fixes
  • Tuning out dropped and broken sticks again in online modes
  • Added back in the tuning to increase loose puck deke success
  • Tuned back in the changes to lower goalies’ ability to react to passes as quickly when they aren’t reading pass
  • Tuned back in fix to lower assistance on goalie passes
  • Finally, we split the difference between Tuner 1.00 and Tuner 1.03 on the incidental puck loss distance tuning but keeping the low relative speed hitting tuning from 1.00
    • This will help address the complaints we saw in Tuner 1.03 around players being unable to bump players off the puck at low speeds in the corner, but reduce the amount of incidental contact puck loss that we also saw complaints about from Tuner 1.00

Again, we thank you for your constructive feedback in forums, on Twitter, and in messages. The detailed feedback we saw along with the video clips we received allowed us to understand and address the issues to help make the game better.

We’re excited for you to get your hands on the new update and we look forward to seeing your feedback on it!

-The EA SPORTS NHL team

TL;DR
- 1.00 skating
- 1.00 bumps and hits
- Hybrid 1.00/1.03 stick lifts
- Hybrid 1.00/1.03 incidental contact
- 1.03 pokes
- 1.03 puck pickups
- 1.03 loose puck dekes
- No more broken/dropped sticks

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I mentioned it in the general thread, but they do have another tuner planned to come out soon. It was meant to come out last Friday but there were problems so I'm guessing it comes out Monday or Tuesday.

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

TL;DR
- 1.00 skating
- 1.00 bumps and hits
- Hybrid 1.00/1.03 stick lifts
- Hybrid 1.00/1.03 incidental contact
- 1.03 pokes
- 1.03 puck pickups
- 1.03 loose puck dekes
- No more broken/dropped sticks

So bumps will remain in? So dumb.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I've really enjoyed the beta tuner and I think the refined tuner will be even better. NHL 19 was the year EA finally started listening to the community!

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Lol what? Bumps help counter trashy players who just spin around and hold x/a the hold time
When 5'6 Cournoyer is able to knock 6'3 Seabrook off the puck from behind by tapping the hit button there might be a problem.

The bumps are horrible and the gameplay is much worse now.

Reactions: mantha39

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Since you can't intercept passes even when directly in the lane, can't stick lift, and can't poke check, the only way to play defense is to hit and people are still bitching about being knocked off the puck when they just spin in circles in the corner waiting for a cross crease. You should be able to staple them to the boards, but you can't reliably, so they allow you to bump them off the puck. The defense has to have at least one tool. Scoring is so god damn easy in this game with passes going right through sticks, stick lift being completely nonfunctional, and poke checks being instant penalties. If you score less than 5 goals a game in 3 on 3 EASHL you're a terrible club. It is so easy to score. There are so many shots that go in more than 75% of the time. It's not even exciting to score anymore. It's more exciting to pick off a pass because it happens far less frequent. That's broken. Defense needs a complete overhaul.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Since you can't intercept passes even when directly in the lane, can't stick lift, and can't poke check, the only way to play defense is to hit and people are still *****ing about being knocked off the puck when they just spin in circles in the corner waiting for a cross crease. You should be able to staple them to the boards, but you can't reliably, so they allow you to bump them off the puck. The defense has to have at least one tool. Scoring is so god damn easy in this game with passes going right through sticks, stick lift being completely nonfunctional, and poke checks being instant penalties. If you score less than 5 goals a game in 3 on 3 EASHL you're a terrible club. It is so easy to score. There are so many shots that go in more than 75% of the time. It's not even exciting to score anymore. It's more exciting to pick off a pass because it happens far less frequent. That's broken. Defense needs a complete overhaul.

Poke-checks are more than fine, you just have to use them properly. Same thing for stick lifting. If you keep getting penalties it’s because your’re doing something wrong, not because the game is broken. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but it is what it is.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Poke-checks are more than fine, you just have to use them properly. Same thing for stick lifting. If you keep getting penalties it’s because your’re doing something wrong, not because the game is broken. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk but it is what it is.
Poke checks are far from fine(or they were, I haven't checked out the most recent patch). They claim you can aim your poke checks, but you most certainly cannot. There's no reason why I should poke a guy's skates when I'm standing within two feet of the puck. Or when I'm trying to poke the puck ahead, guy morphs and picks it up before my stick gets there somehow and then I trip him because now he has the puck(even though he didn't have it when I pressed poke). The sticklift does absolutely nothing. It lifts the stick and then you just keep the puck. It's a minor inconvenience at best. The only time it's useful is when a guy has a breakaway and you can mess up his move. Otherwise you're better off just standing in the shooting lane of the shot that you know he's going to take because it's a shot that goes in pretty much every time. It's so unbelievably easy to score. I have not lost a versus or HUT game this year because there are so many ways to score extremely consistently. That's broken. I don't even really bother to play defense anymore because I don't care if they score because I know I'll just go right back down the ice and score myself. That's boring. Defense has never been very refined, but they made it even worse this year. It's incredibly annoying that they listen to people who bitch that it's too difficult to score. If it's too difficult to score you're just f***ing terrible. There's no other way around it. If it's even the least bit difficult, you're terrible. Broken doesn't even begin to describe the state of this dreadful product.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
OMG why did they do this. I like to occasionally play drop in 3 v 3 and be a d-man. I'm not great but I'm a solid dman and I was committing trips that made no sense tonight. Anddd the backhand forehand backhand move works every time in a penalty shot again.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
OMG why did they do this. I like to occasionally play drop in 3 v 3 and be a d-man. I'm not great but I'm a solid dman and I was committing trips that made no sense tonight. Anddd the backhand forehand backhand move works every time in a penalty shot again.

The Penalty = Penalty Shot was such a dumb idea, and it's worse now more than ever. So many games skaters are just skating in circles holding backhands trying to draw trips.

In 3-on-3 OT in the real NHL, teams don't automatically get awarded a penalty shot. The game should just make it 4 on 3 with a bot on the PP team, and a bot replacing the player taking the penalty (and when you come out of the box, it stays 4 on 4 until the next whistle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->