OT: NHL 14 / Video Game Thread

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I've got it, I am pretty disappointed in it to be honest. And I have bought it religiously since day 1.

There's a lot of bugs that I hope a patch will fix, but it really feels like a $60 roster update for the first time in a long time.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I've got it, I am pretty disappointed in it to be honest. And I have bought it religiously since day 1.

There's a lot of bugs that I hope a patch will fix, but it really feels like a $60 roster update for the first time in a long time.

I sympathize, sometimes I skip a year of buying NHL / NBA 2k because it all just feels stale. Still, I got so much money's worth last year playing online for the first time and through the offline modes. I played about 10 games in the demo and I like the feel of it enough to take the plunge again.

My XBOX gamertag is ThePaxman in case anyone wants to add

I also have GTA V and no one to play with since all my friends use PS3 these days, if anyone wants to form up a gang or whatever they call it.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It's the release before the next-gen consoles come out, gotta expect it to be pretty lackluster. I'm sure they're going gang-busters trying to come up with something big for NHL 15.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's the release before the next-gen consoles come out, gotta expect it to be pretty lackluster. I'm sure they're going gang-busters trying to come up with something big for NHL 15.

I think they actually have the upcoming next gen version of '14 using a different engine which allows for some extra gameplay features. But yeah, that obviously split development up a bit. Might get the new playstation by the time '15 comes out. :nod:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Oh really? Makes sense I guess, I think they did split releases up from 07 to 09 last generation. I'd be curious to see what changes they have cooked up. NHL 07 revolutionized hockey games with that skill stick.

If I got a next gen console, it'd probably be a PS4. But then I'd wonder why I built this $1000 gaming PC... :laugh:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

The hitting and fighting is noticeably different...

will say that I dont like being forced to fight just because I threw a big clean hit you should be able to regret fights and try to draw penalties.

On a positive note I somehow got a 1st from the NYR for Leino and then flipped that and 2 of my 1sts for Kane...loving life.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Riding an 8 game shutout streak (the good kind) in online play :laugh:. I'm sure I'll get whooped good when my ranking catches up with my skill level.

Also, regarding what I said above about a different engine for next gen release, I thought I read that on Wikipedia but I looked today and don't see it. Maybe I read it somewhere else, or I was just thinking of another game I follow, like Battlefield 4.

SlugLife978

May 10, 2011
Boston, MA
I wish Armia would hurry up and sign the inclusion waiver so that I can start my BeAGM season and actually have him in the game. :laugh:

They also need to fix a lot of the prospect potential/overall ratings. Pysyk and Risto's are way off. Girgs' too.

And I'm sick of seeing Mancari's face every time Porter does something.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I only ever play Be A GM Mode when I do buy the game....is it any good this year? Or am I once again only going to be buying FIFA as my sports video purchase for 2013.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I only ever play Be A GM Mode when I do buy the game....is it any good this year? Or am I once again only going to be buying FIFA as my sports video purchase for 2013.

They expanded the Be a Player mode so that your teammate/fan/organization/family popularity is rated. Organizational popularity gives a bit of bias to you making the team or not, or jumping up the line-up. Fan popularity gets you endorsements, etc. The popularity is affected by performance and also by the answer you choose for pre-game/post-game/other interviews. It's a nice wrinkle that isn't so invasive that it really throws off how the system works, just makes it feel a bit more like you are a player going through a career. It's not as involved as NBA 2k's be a player mode is.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Next years will definitely be an upgrade with the next-gen stuff coming out soon.

I have it for PS3, if anyone is ever down for a game you can add me, same name as my HFboards username.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
First and last night playing online games tonight. Wow does it play like garbage. Good thing online play isn't my primary concern when I buy sports games :shakehead

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Is anyone buying the next gen consoles on release date? I'm leaning towards to seeing how it plays out and buy the one that doesn't flop. If I was to buy one on release date, I'm bias to the XBOX One because I have a 360 now.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Is anyone buying the next gen consoles on release date? I'm leaning towards to seeing how it plays out and buy the one that doesn't flop. If I was to buy one on release date, I'm bias to the XBOX One because I have a 360 now.

I've been riding the 360 train for a long time now, and honestly when I finally do get around to buying a next gen console, I'm already leaning towards Sony. Microsoft just acts like they don't have a care in the world and couldn't care less if they lose customers, so I'll probably go for the more innovative of the two in PS4.

I really wish there were some competitors in the sports video game market right now. Right now its just EA for NFL, NHL, Golf, and 2K for NBA and MLB. All of them are getting stale IMO besides the NBA 2k series (gameplay wise, I hate the absurd Jay-Z branding). Why can't we just have some companies fight over our money for once, instead of just buying whatever crap they decide to release us?

First and last night playing online games tonight. Wow does it play like garbage. Good thing online play isn't my primary concern when I buy sports games :shakehead

Is it that bad? I kind of enjoy NHL13 online, except for the restrictions on changing settings mid game. Usually decent competition though. What changed?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

That bad? I got sick of playing NHL12 because it was so inconsistent. One game I would be doing fine, able to pull off one-timers, get shots off, etc. Next game, my players would be missing all the one timers, it wouldn't shoot after a deke, etc. Things that had little to nothing to do with the quality of opponent. It seemed to just randomize my ability to pull off certain things to affect the outcome.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
That bad? I got sick of playing NHL12 because it was so inconsistent. One game I would be doing fine, able to pull off one-timers, get shots off, etc. Next game, my players would be missing all the one timers, it wouldn't shoot after a deke, etc. Things that had little to nothing to do with the quality of opponent. It seemed to just randomize my ability to pull off certain things to affect the outcome.

I am fairly certain that is because of the lag time that sometimes occurs between each player and the game server hosting it. If one player has a lag spike, both have to sync again and it can delay or drop controller commands. The connections improved fairly significantly for me in NHL 13, but I remember '12 being absolutely brutal online from that.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I skipped nhl13 but for me the responsiveness of the controls are drastically worse on NHL14 than 12.

My guys needed like a full second of space between letting go of the pass button and actually passing.

It also doesn't feel a thing like hockey.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I skipped nhl13 but for me the responsiveness of the controls are drastically worse on NHL14 than 12.

My guys needed like a full second of space between letting go of the pass button and actually passing.

It also doesn't feel a thing like hockey.

Could be due to a bad connection, make sure you're getting solid bandwidth.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I find the online play to be fun enough. I've only had lag in one game and it was obviously due to the opponent having a crap connection. I will say that on the settings online play uses (All-Star difficulty / simulation style (as opposed to hardcore simulation)), the goaltending is pretty irritating. Goalies are superhuman going side-to-side to stop cross-crease plays, but if you make a simple swoop at the high faceoff circle and let go of a wrist shot, the goalie is terrible,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad