NHL 14- Anyone else feel like the goalies are much worse in this game?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Or maybe that certain players(i.e Datsyuk, Hall etc.) can score very weak goals very easily?

i'm finding alot of soft from the point slap shots and wrist shots are going in, as well as alot of shortside goals when someone like Datsyuk shoots it.

you expect high end players to snipe, but Datsyuk in my GM connected league has over 200 points and 100+ goals in about 60 games..... most of the other players are in the normal range.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
If the league you are in doesnt have the settings on hardcore sim and superstar that is probably the issue. Goalies are better with these settings but there are still a couple issues they need to fix imo.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's not the goalies that are worse, it's shooting power that has been increased. Everyone is shooting like Chara, unless your adjust the slider like I have.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
It's not the goalies that are worse, it's shooting power that has been increased. Everyone is shooting like Chara, unless your adjust the slider like I have.

On sim mode the shot power is way to strong. When you go to hardcore sim you notice it is better but I think they do need to tone it down just a little still. It would be nice to see attributes affect it more as I agree there just isn't a big enough difference between a random 3rd pairing d-man and Chara and Weber's blasts.

ScottStevens

Jun 20, 2013
On sim mode the shot power is way to strong. When you go to hardcore sim you notice it is better but I think they do need to tone it down just a little still. It would be nice to see attributes affect it more as I agree there just isn't a big enough difference between a random 3rd pairing d-man and Chara and Weber's blasts.

Would you prefer how in the previous games most shots can't even reach 80 mph unless someone like Chara shoots it? I think they have it perfect (hardcore, all-star) When you play on hardcore, the game is usually 2-0 2-1 4-1 etc. Very rarely do you destroy a goalie on hardcore. But with normal sim, the goalies reaction speeds are crap.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Would you prefer how in the previous games most shots can't even reach 80 mph unless someone like Chara shoots it? I think they have it perfect (hardcore, all-star) When you play on hardcore, the game is usually 2-0 2-1 4-1 etc. Very rarely do you destroy a goalie on hardcore. But with normal sim, the goalies reaction speeds are crap.

With my settings, I think every NHL player shoots harder than 83 mph. The likes of Chara and Weber gets it around 100. That's in practice mode, where players are standing still. If shooting while skating forward, or one timing the puck, they should go harder. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Custom settings are the way to go if you want the game to be as realistic as possible. I have reduced game speed, reduced shot speed, reduced fatigue recovery and increased pass inceptions on top of my head.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I've changed the sliders around over and over to make the goaltenders more adequate in the game. I'm the New York Rangers in GM mode now, and I'm 20-1-1, on Superstar, Hardcore Simulation, and I'm averaging close to 5 goals per game.

I've bumped up goalie reaction speed all the way, bumped down the screening effect so it doesn't have an impact, jacked up the computer AI all the way, etc. But the game is still way too easy to take it to the PC and score goals. It's not even a challenge.

The only way I get a challenge is if I play a person on XBX Live, and that's because they cut off lanes to the slot, like, you know, the AI should do. So than I try making it just perimeter play, but why should I adjust how I play the game!? I'm doing what makes sense.

BTW: Goalies let up way too many goals blockerside, and glove side. Also, way too many 5-hole goals.

Worst EA game in a while. The PC used to provide adequate challenge. Sure, I'd always win the Cup (on rare occassions I was eliminated on superstar), but I wouldn't be 20-1-1, I'd end up winning 55-59 games by the end of the season. I at least lost. After 22 games I don't even know if I want to continue the GM mode because I'm bored with it. I need some level of challenge to keep me interested.

And put this in perspective, I'm the measely Rangers, and I'm scoring like the 80's Oilers.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I've changed the sliders around over and over to make the goaltenders more adequate in the game. I'm the New York Rangers in GM mode now, and I'm 20-1-1, on Superstar, Hardcore Simulation, and I'm averaging close to 5 goals per game.

I've bumped up goalie reaction speed all the way, bumped down the screening effect so it doesn't have an impact, jacked up the computer AI all the way, etc. But the game is still way too easy to take it to the PC and score goals. It's not even a challenge.

The only way I get a challenge is if I play a person on XBX Live, and that's because they cut off lanes to the slot, like, you know, the AI should do. So than I try making it just perimeter play, but why should I adjust how I play the game!? I'm doing what makes sense.

BTW: Goalies let up way too many goals blockerside, and glove side. Also, way too many 5-hole goals.

Worst EA game in a while. The PC used to provide adequate challenge. Sure, I'd always win the Cup (on rare occassions I was eliminated on superstar), but I wouldn't be 20-1-1, I'd end up winning 55-59 games by the end of the season. I at least lost. After 22 games I don't even know if I want to continue the GM mode because I'm bored with it. I need some level of challenge to keep me interested.

And put this in perspective, I'm the measely Rangers, and I'm scoring like the 80's Oilers.

This is why I rarely play the CPU anymore as the challenge just isn't there. It has been that way for a long time though. GM conntected is the way to go as you get a great variety of different playstyles. Find a good league and give that a try. I think you will like it.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Although NHL 13 had some ridiculous saves, I still found the goaltending to be more fair and it would be a challenge to score when against a good opponent(would end up with a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games) in this one the games are ending up 6-5 or 5-4 most of the time, so many soft blocker side/short side goals going in from so far with no traffic.

ScottStevens

Jun 20, 2013
Although NHL 13 had some ridiculous saves, I still found the goaltending to be more fair and it would be a challenge to score when against a good opponent(would end up with a lot of 1-0 or 2-1 games) in this one the games are ending up 6-5 or 5-4 most of the time, so many soft blocker side/short side goals going in from so far with no traffic.

hardcore sim?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad